ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Calling all Scouts: Tell me about the top Safety prospects.
Mr_Tomahawk 10:39 PM 03-13-2019
Now that we no longer have Berry, I hope we spend 1 of our top 3 picks on a ball hawk safety.

So all the armchair scouts in here; give me a quick overview of the top safeties in this class that could go in the first two rounds.

And who would you compare them to in the NFL? (Past or Present)

Any Ed Reeds in this class or absolute ballhawks?

Thank you.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:34 PM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Sorensen is NOT a FS. He's HB's back-up.

I don't know that Watts missing time is a given. Lucas was serviceable; notice that it was Berry that got eaten alive against NE. If both go down, HB takes FS and Sorensen takes SS.

It's not ideal, but no team is 3 deep anywhere.

I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a safety, or a CB. I absolutely would, and I'd take them high. I just think that right now DE and LB are spots we have zero depth at. Kpass is your back-up DE right now, with Speaks and Okafor starting. I still like his potential and with this staff, maybe they find it, but I don't like banking on it. Right now you have Hitchens, Ragland, Wilson and O'Daniel at LB. Niemann maybe. That's pretty thin.

Breeland, Fuller, Ward is better than anything we trotted out last year.
Honey Badger, Watts/Lucas is better than anything we trotted out last year.

incrementally perhaps, but it is.

I still want another CB, S, DE, LB between now and camp either as FA or high picks.
I don't know where this perception came from that Sorenson is a box guy. He's not a true SS at all.

Watts has an injury history that makes Dee Ford look like a pillar of health. Lucas is completely unproven.

To me, pass rush, CB, and S are definite needs. I get that everybody is worried about the linebackers but it's just not a position that needs to be highly drafted unless there's talent there that's worth it. As deep as this draft is in DB's, it's equally BEREFT of SLB and MLB prospects. Those positions need to be looked at later.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:36 PM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I don't know where this perception came from that Sorenson is a box guy. He's not a true SS at all.

Watts has an injury history that makes Dee Ford look like a pillar of health. Lucas is completely unproven.

To me, pass rush, CB, and S are definite needs. I get that everybody is worried about the linebackers but it's just not a position that needs to be highly drafted unless there's talent there that's worth it. As deep as this draft is in DB's, it's equally BEREFT of SLB and MLB prospects. Those positions need to be looked at later.
probably because he's SLOW, too SLOW to play FS.

I don't like him as a player at all, frankly, but I really don't like him at FS.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:39 PM 03-25-2019

Well uh anyone is going to be unproven. They liked.Lucas enough to tender him.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:52 PM 03-25-2019
probably because he's SLOW, too SLOW to play FS.

I don't like him as a player at all, frankly, but I really don't like him at FS.
He's not good at the line of scrimmage either though. If you actually look at his ratings at places like PFF, as hard as it might be to believe, he's better at FS than SS.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:53 PM 03-25-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Well uh anyone is going to be unproven. They liked.Lucas enough to tender him.
Of course. That's why they need another body. You have a better chance of ONE of them panning out.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:01 PM 03-25-2019
He's not good at the line of scrimmage either though. If you actually look at his ratings at places like PFF, as hard as it might be to believe, he's better at FS than SS.
He's actually just pretty shitty and should be cut as soon as possible.

Not arguing against drafting a safety at all.

Just more concerned that I don't see a real SSLB on the roster. Not saying we should get one in round one; and I'd prefer to find another FA to put in the mix.
[Reply]
O.city 03:05 PM 03-25-2019
I think Sorenson may be overpaid, but I don't know that he's a shitty player. I think he's a pretty solid safety that needs to be put in certain situations.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:14 AM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think Sorenson may be overpaid, but I don't know that he's a shitty player. I think he's a pretty solid safety that needs to be put in certain situations.
well, that's cool, but chasing guys much faster than him downfield isn't it. And if playing in the box and covering TE's and playing run support isn't it, then what is?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:31 AM 03-27-2019
well, that's cool, but chasing guys much faster than him downfield isn't it. And if playing in the box and covering TE's and playing run support isn't it, then what is?
He's a backup caliber player and that's where he needs to be.
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:38 AM 03-29-2019
Im hoping we can land Amani Hooker with one of our seconds. That guy knows how to play and probably has the highest football IQ of all the dbacks in the draft and sniffs out plays before the ball is snapped. Lord knows we need smart players after last year's shit show of Berry showing guys where to line up.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:28 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Im hoping we can land Amani Hooker with one of our seconds. That guy knows how to play and probably has the highest football IQ of all the dbacks in the draft and sniffs out plays before the ball is snapped. Lord knows we need smart players after last year's shit show of Berry showing guys where to line up.
He's probably a 3rd rounder pick at this point too...

I love the kid, I think he's in the vein of Micah Hyde and Desmond King as far as Iowa DB's go.
[Reply]
O.city 09:46 AM 03-29-2019
I am thinking the safeties go higher than we think. Wouldn't surprise me to see Rapp and Thornhill go early round 2, maybe even back end of the first.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:44 AM 03-29-2019
I am thinking the safeties go higher than we think. Wouldn't surprise me to see Rapp and Thornhill go early round 2, maybe even back end of the first.

they just CAN'T.

I mean, they can, but it's literally getting to the point that everyone's saying there's 60 guys that are going to go in the first. There can only be 32.

If the safeties start going in the first, then TJ Hockenson is going to fall to us at 29.

I mean, they just can't. I mean if Hock drops to us, you run up to the podium giggling, but I don't see how that happens.

At some point, positional emphasis is going to kick in. TE's and safeties and off-ball linebackers traditionally are considered LESS value than QB's, pass rushers, LOT's and CB's.

I have to believe traditional thinking is going to win out.
[Reply]
O.city 10:47 AM 03-29-2019
they just CAN'T.

I mean, they can, but it's literally getting to the point that everyone's saying there's 60 guys that are going to go in the first. There can only be 32.

If the safeties start going in the first, then TJ Hockenson is going to fall to us at 29.

I mean, they just can't. I mean if Hock drops to us, you run up to the podium giggling, but I don't see how that happens.

At some point, positional emphasis is going to kick in. TE's and safeties and off-ball linebackers traditionally are considered LESS value than QB's, pass rushers, LOT's and CB's.

I have to believe traditional thinking is going to win out.
He's going in the top 15. Hockenson won't be there at 29, ever.

The public just has no idea how teams boards will be set, when the whole group outside the top say 5 guys is all bunched up. Guys being projected in the late 2nd may go in the first or vice versa.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:17 PM 03-29-2019
He's going in the top 15. Hockenson won't be there at 29, ever.

The public just has no idea how teams boards will be set, when the whole group outside the top say 5 guys is all bunched up. Guys being projected in the late 2nd may go in the first or vice versa.
yeah, but there just can't be a run on safeties.

Or something like a Hock falling to 29 will happen. Or Ferrell. Or something unimaginable like that.

It's just not going to happen.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up