ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The Draft Network mock sim
Al Bundy 01:14 PM 02-25-2019
http://www.thedraftnetwork.com
It was just released and is really good.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:49 PM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by ntexascardfan:
This safety FA class is deep enough that we can get a quality safety for cheap. Assuming Berry is back I'd get a guy like Tre Boston and then draft a CB + edge.

The thing we're ignoring with these mocks we post is Veach's talk about his FA board + draft board co-existing together.

If you want clues for what we are going to do in the draft look at where the FA market is deep. We'll likely be filling needs from where FA is the deepest and using the draft to fill in where we think it'll be tough to plug holes affordably in FA.

I think we go corner or edge in round one and sign a FA safety.
Also think of it like this-you don't want multiple rookies on the field at each level if you can help it. One rookie in the secondary, one in the lb corps and maybe one on the line. Not multiples.

But I figure that we're going to need a CB to start. Less likely the front seven.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 12:56 PM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Also think of it like this-you don't want multiple rookies on the field at each level if you can help it. One rookie in the secondary, one in the lb corps and maybe one on the line. Not multiples.

But I figure that we're going to need a CB to start. Less likely the front seven.
In my dream world Berry is actually healthy + plays this year.

We can sign someone like Tre Boston on a team friendly deal.

We cut or trade Houston and have the dollars to sign CJ Mosley.

Then we can take a corner in the first and find an edge in the second.

Your defense would be
Dline
Ford, Jones, Nnadi, Speaks

LB
DoD, Mosley, Hitchens

Corners
Fuller, drafted CB

Safeties
Berry, Boston

That's a defense that will be more than servicable
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:59 PM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think you just have to go in there eyes open. If they can come out of the top 3 with 3 good players, no matter the position, i'll call that a win.

Even if only one of them is a CB, S or edge player, as long as they don't reach or do something dumb, it'll work out.
Certainly.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:00 PM 03-06-2019
This safety FA class is deep enough that we can get a quality safety for cheap. Assuming Berry is back I'd get a guy like Tre Boston and then draft a CB + edge.

The thing we're ignoring with these mocks we post is Veach's talk about his FA board + draft board co-existing together.

If you want clues for what we are going to do in the draft look at where the FA market is deep. We'll likely be filling needs from where FA is the deepest and using the draft to fill in where we think it'll be tough to plug holes affordably in FA.

I think we go corner or edge in round one and sign a FA safety.
Safety is arguably just as deep in the draft as it is in FA. It's MUCH deeper than CB in this draft.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:01 PM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:

Yeah, they just can't go into this season with 4 or 5 rookies starting, along with a bunch of guys from the 2018 draft. They're going to need some veterans somewhere just to stabilize the defense.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 01:07 PM 03-06-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Safety is arguably just as deep in the draft as it is in FA. It's MUCH deeper than CB in this draft.
Yeah, but the corner FA market is trash.

It's easier for us to get a known commodity at safety than corner via FA.

I'd rather plug the safety hole with a known NFL commodity and take a guy like Trayvon Mullen 5-10 spots ahead of his projections and gamble on him growing into a great corner.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:10 PM 03-06-2019
Yeah, but the corner FA market is trash.

It's easier for us to get a known commodity at safety than corner via FA.

I'd rather plug the safety hole with a known NFL commodity and take a guy like Trayvon Mullen 5-10 spots ahead of his projections and gamble on him growing into a great corner.
It depends on how much it costs. If they keep Berry and Ford, you're not getting a top-flight safety, you're getting a band-aid at best.

And while the CB draft is deep, it's not top heavy. You'd still probably get better value taking a safety in the first and a CB in the 2nd.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 01:14 PM 03-06-2019
It depends on how much it costs. If they keep Berry and Ford, you're not getting a top-flight safety, you're getting a band-aid at best.

And while the CB draft is deep, it's not top heavy. You'd still probably get better value taking a safety in the first and a CB in the 2nd.
I disagree.

I think we circle back around on Tre Boston. He was a top 10 safety last year in pass coverage and has had to be in 3 different systems the past three seasons.

We can get him on a team friendly deal and I believe he starts to excel when he has the consistency of getting to play in the same system for more than one season.

Furthermore, if you're taking a safety in the first and cb in the second you're essentially almost committing yourself to two rookies starting in the secondary. If Charvarius Ward doesn't take that step at CB we're screwed again. If we go with a CB/Safety in the first round we have to get the opposite of whatever we don't draft via free agency. We can't risk it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:19 PM 03-06-2019
I disagree.

I think we circle back around on Tre Boston. He was a top 10 safety last year in pass coverage and has had to be in 3 different systems the past three seasons.

We can get him on a team friendly deal and I believe he starts to excel when he has the consistency of getting to play in the same system for more than one season.
I'd be okay with that but I just don't see it happening. They're going to keep Berry and try to get a single high in the draft if I'm a betting man. If they sign a FA safety, it will probably be Collins, which still leave them needing a FS.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 01:25 PM 03-06-2019
I'd be okay with that but I just don't see it happening. They're going to keep Berry and try to get a single high in the draft if I'm a betting man. If they sign a FA safety, it will probably be Collins, which still leave them needing a FS.
I think the challenge I have with taking a safety in the first and a CB in the second is if you don't supplement it with picking up a CB via FA you're playing a pretty risky game at CB.

If Charvarius Ward doesn't take the next step this season you're staring down a pretty ugly barrel again in the secondary. You're hoping you can fly with a secondary that has two rookies in it and an unreliable Eric Berry.

I just feel like the easier puzzle to solve would be to draft a CB early, sign a FS like Boston, draft a FS like Darnell Savage later in the draft, and then get your edge guy in round two.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:33 PM 03-06-2019
I think the challenge I have with taking a safety in the first and a CB in the second is if you don't supplement it with picking up a CB via FA you're playing a pretty risky game at CB.

If Charvarius Ward doesn't take the next step this season you're staring down a pretty ugly barrel again in the secondary. You're hoping you can fly with a secondary that has two rookies in it and an unreliable Eric Berry.

I just feel like the easier puzzle to solve would be to draft a CB early, sign a FS like Boston, draft a FS like Darnell Savage later in the draft, and then get your edge guy in round two.
Which CB are you going to get in the first that is head and shoulders better than a guy you can get in the 2nd?

I don't see nearly as much separation as you do, I guess.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 01:47 PM 03-06-2019
Which CB are you going to get in the first that is head and shoulders better than a guy you can get in the 2nd?

I don't see nearly as much separation as you do, I guess.
For me it's more of a math formula:

Deep Safety FA class + deep safety draft class + reasonable cap hit for signing via FA

Poor CB FA class + an OK CB class + risky cap hit for signing via FA

To me when I do that math equation it makes the choice to go CB over safety in the first a lot easier.

I suppose our biggest difference is in the philosophy. I feel my approach is minimizing risk in the secondary.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:56 PM 03-06-2019
For me it's more of a math formula:

Deep Safety FA class + deep safety draft class + reasonable cap hit for signing via FA

Poor CB FA class + an OK CB class + risky cap hit for signing via FA

To me when I do that math equation it makes the choice to go CB over safety in the first a lot easier.

I suppose our biggest difference is in the philosophy. I feel my approach is minimizing risk in the secondary.
Right but your approach assumes the signing of a FA safety. I don't disagree with the approach, I just don't think they're going to do it.

Plus I think if they do, it's going to be a guy like Collins, rather than Boston. Which accentuates the need for a safety like Adderley or Rapp, neither of whom I think drop out of the 1st round.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 02:07 PM 03-06-2019
Right but your approach assumes the signing of a FA safety. I don't disagree with the approach, I just don't think they're going to do it.

Plus I think if they do, it's going to be a guy like Collins, rather than Boston. Which accentuates the need for a safety like Adderley or Rapp, neither of whom I think drop out of the 1st round.
For sure, though I think Adderley and Rapp are two wildly different safety prospects.

If we keep Berry or sign Collins, we shouldn't be drafting a SS. Rapp will be sitting on the bench if we draft him because he isn't a free safety. He isn't someone you ask to play centerfield in Spag's scheme.

If we go safety we're looking at guys like Nassir Adderley, Juan Thornhill, or Darnell Savage.

Adderley is probably gone in the first, but I think Thornhill + Savage can be had in the second.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:23 PM 03-06-2019
For sure, though I think Adderley and Rapp are two wildly different safety prospects.

If we keep Berry or sign Collins, we shouldn't be drafting a SS. Rapp will be sitting on the bench if we draft him because he isn't a free safety. He isn't someone you ask to play centerfield in Spag's scheme.

If we go safety we're looking at guys like Nassir Adderley, Juan Thornhill, or Darnell Savage.

Adderley is probably gone in the first, but I think Thornhill + Savage can be had in the second.
I think Rapp is better in coverage that people give him credit for and despite his speed Savage isn't quite as good in coverage as he's made out to be.

I think Thornhill goes before our picks in the 2nd, that's my concern.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Up