ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Let's talk Sam 'backers....
DJ's left nut 11:08 AM 02-25-2019
So this may be a better fit for the main lounge but I don't even like those guys so fuck 'em.

In trying to respond to O.City's condescending ass, I realized that I don't have nearly as good a feel for Sam backers in this defense as I'd like to. As I was trying to come up with later round ideas, I decided I was pretty much spitballing.

So how do some of you fine gentlement view the Sam role here and how does that translate to a prospect for you?

I think I kinda see this as the Guard of the linebacking corps. Someone who you can't just send out there to suck, but probably a role you can/should be able to fill a little more cheaply with someone that's maybe a bit of a conventional tweener. Then again, I imagine that Justin Houston at his peak would've been an absolute monster and a prototype 4-3 Sam. So if you CAN fill it with peak Justin Houston, I guess you should. But lets say you just have normal mortals, who you lookin' at there?

My list is short and probably crappy because I'm trying to fill it with minimal draft capital. So I got to:

Deandre Walker, UGA
Germaine Pratt, NC State
Khalil Hodge, Buffalo

Then a bunch of guys that are probably more what I would consider Will prospects and a few 3-4 ILBs.

So is this position actually fairly difficult to scout or do I just not know what I'm looking for?
[Reply]
O.city 11:12 AM 02-25-2019
If you could get Houston to redo or save some money (sounds like he won't) would you just play him at SAM?

I don't know. I know everyone has a hard on for a high priced Anthony Barr and I'm just not paying that for him.

So in the young Justin Houston, who in the draft could be that rather quickly?
[Reply]
O.city 11:14 AM 02-25-2019
Could Devin Bush play it? He seems a little small for it I'd think.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:21 AM 02-25-2019
Pratt is my guy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:30 AM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
If you could get Houston to redo or save some money (sounds like he won't) would you just play him at SAM?

I don't know. I know everyone has a hard on for a high priced Anthony Barr and I'm just not paying that for him.

So in the young Justin Houston, who in the draft could be that rather quickly?
I'm just not sure this version of Houston has the range I'd want in that role. I think he's a perfect strong side DE and if you HAD to get both him and Speaks on the field, you'd have Houston at the LB and Speaks at DE, but I think you'd be better served putting Houston at DE and finding a different DE with Speaks simply being a sunk cost or a rotational player.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:38 AM 02-25-2019
Terrill Hanks and D’Andre Walker are my guys at SLB
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:39 AM 02-25-2019
Terrill Hanks would fit well maybe?
[Reply]
staylor26 11:42 AM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Terrill Hanks would fit well maybe?
Lol beat you by a minute :-)
[Reply]
O.city 11:48 AM 02-25-2019
Matt Veradame had some Chiefs tidbits in an article today.

They're gonna cut Houston, They love Speaks, they're gonna revamp the secondary.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:51 AM 02-25-2019
I mentioned Hanks in the ILB thread that spurred this though; I just don't think he's stout enough - he fell into my 'guys I think are probably Wills' category. It's not an overall weight thing; it's a build and frame thing. I've mentioned 'high cut' guys before and I think he qualifies. I just don't see him being able to put on enough mass to handle the run assignments over there.

If he could bulk up a bit; maybe 10-15 lbs of 'good weight', then I could see it. But I just don't know that it's a reasonable ask for a person built like him. I think he's at that tipping point where any weight he adds will take away speed and if he loses that, I'm not sure he can remain an asset in space.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:51 AM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Matt Veradame had some Chiefs tidbits in an article today.

They're gonna cut Houston, They love Speaks, they're gonna revamp the secondary.
https://fansided.com/2019/02/25/kyle...agency-rumors/

Originally Posted by :
5. Chiefs defense will undergo significant transformation

Last season, Kansas City fell short due to a porous defense. The Chiefs are hellbent on avoiding that fate in 2019.

FanSided has learned Kansas City is likely going to tag Dee Ford. It’s unlikely the Chiefs are will to restructure Justin Houston’s contract in a way that includes more guaranteed money into the future. That means he’ll likely be a cap casualty. Houston, 30, registered nine sacks last year and two more in the playoffs. Despite an injury history, he’ll be paid well on the open market.

By firing defensive coordinator Bob Sutton and replacing him with Steve Spagnuolo, the Chiefs did two things. One, they became more flexible in their schemes. Two, they switched from a base 3-4 to a 4-3. Luckily for general manager Brett Veach, many of the pieces are already in place.

The Chiefs have a strong internal belief in defensive end Breeland Speaks and outside linebacker Dorian O’Daniel. Both are second-year players who stand to have significant roles in 2019. Additionally, last offseason’s splash signing of middle linebacker Anthony Hitchens went splat. Now back in the 4-3 he thrived in with the Cowboys, Hitchens stands to be much-improved.

Finally, by releasing Houston to practically pay Ford’s tag, the Chiefs maintain approximately $25 million in cap space. Kansas City realizes it needs to upgrade the secondary and will do so both in free agency and the draft, where it has four picks in the top 100.

If the Chiefs don’t reach the Super Bowl next season — which they are favorites to win — it won’t be because they didn’t attempt to shore up the defense.

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:53 AM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Terrill Hanks and D’Andre Walker are my guys at SLB
Walker is really the first guy that jumps out at me as well. I think Pest is who put me on Pratt and Hodge is just a guy I like who, in trying to find a home for, I realized he could probably fit that Sam role nicely.
[Reply]
O.city 11:56 AM 02-25-2019
Depending on rookies to get you over the hump to the SB seems a little optimistic to me.
[Reply]
tmax63 06:23 PM 02-25-2019
They aren't rookies anymore by the time week 18 and 19 roll around.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 09:06 PM 02-25-2019
I know it’s stated a lot but the base positions aren’t too meaningful at this point. You’re just not going to see a ton of 4-3 under looks, 4-3 over, 4-3 even, 3-4, etc.

So much is 2-4, 4-2, 2-3, and 4-1 that I definitely don’t care to spend major dollars at the SAM position. At the end of the day, you need good pass rushers and good coverage players for your nickel and dime.

Now, all that being said, I think the expectation for Hitchens to be overwhelmingly improved might be overstated. He will be better sure, but mostly due to the fact that the defensive coordination and coaching will be upgraded. But athletically he is still going to be a liability in man coverages at times if he’s left matched up on backs or TEs too often given the fact that only two true LBs will be on the field mostly.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up