ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mel Kiper Mock
O.city 12:40 PM 02-19-2019

Mel Kiper Jr. says S Johnathan Abram is one of the best 15-20 pure football players in this draft.

He’s projecting the Chiefs to draft Abram, who he calls NFL ready, in the first round.

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) February 19, 2019

He has us taking Abram in the first.

Thoughts?
[Reply]
O.city 12:44 PM 02-19-2019

Updated safety ranks:

1 Rapp
2 Abram
3 Thompson
4 Adderley
5 Gardner-Johnson
6 Thornhill
Hooker

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) February 19, 2019

[Reply]
Halfcan 12:44 PM 02-19-2019
Has Kiper ever been right about a Chief's pick?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:51 PM 02-19-2019
Abram plays out over his skis quite a bit, IMO.

He'll hit guys, but like your boy Bush, I feel like he plays just a little too far towards the aggressive side of the range. If it's Abrams in the 1st or Gardner Johnson in the 2nd, I'd take the latter every time. He's just more fluid in coverage, IMO. Not as aggressive but more well-rounded.
[Reply]
O.city 12:55 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Abram plays out over his skis quite a bit, IMO.

He'll hit guys, but like your boy Bush, I feel like he plays just a little too far towards the aggressive side of the range. If it's Abrams in the 1st or Gardner Johnson in the 2nd, I'd take the latter every time. He's just more fluid in coverage, IMO. Not as aggressive but more well-rounded.
I'm just not big on my safety being a big hitter. If he can do that, great, but give me a guy that is elite in the secondary.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:57 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'm just not big on my safety being a big hitter. If he can do that, great, but give me a guy that is elite in the secondary.
I recognize the value of a guy like Berry reading and exploding into the box on running plays. And if you get that along with a guy who's at least solid in coverage, that can work. That's Landon Collins.

But like you, I prefer have a rangier guy like Earl Thomas who can read that running play and may not blow someone the hell up, but he'll get in there and do his job on running downs while being a bigger asset in coverage.

I'm gonna go 60-40 towards coverage skills when evaluating safeties and I think Abrams is more like a 40-60 towards the run.
[Reply]
O.city 12:59 PM 02-19-2019
I recognize the value of a guy like Berry reading and exploding into the box on running plays. And if you get that along with a guy who's at least solid in coverage, that can work. That's Landon Collins.

But like you, I prefer have a rangier guy like Earl Thomas who can read that running play and may not blow someone the hell up, but he'll get in there and do his job on running downs while being a bigger asset in coverage.

I'm gonna go 60-40 towards coverage skills when evaluating safeties and I think Abrams is more like a 40-60 towards the run.
Yep, pretty much.

I also feel like those guys are a hell of a lot easier to find than the Earl Thomas type, so i'm not spending a first rounder on that type of guy.

Just sign Earl and draft one in the 3rd.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:04 PM 02-19-2019
I kind of gave up on Abrams as a possibility in the 1st because it seemed like everybody was starting to settle on him being a 2nd rounder.

I guess I was wrong and if he is indeed seen as a 1st round prospect, I’d be ok with that pick. He’s a perfect fit for what Spags looks for in a SS.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:30 PM 02-19-2019

This.

I'd rather have Adderly or Savage, both of whom are better in coverage than Abram.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 04:20 PM 02-19-2019
I’ve soured on Abram since his Bowl game. He played out of the slot a ton, and mainly blitzed. His coverage skills are limited. I think guys like Adderly, Gardner-Johnson, Savage Jr., and even Rapp offer more range with plenty of physicality.

Adderly and Savage Jr. are my personal favourites at safety, and I don’t mind Amani Hooker if we can get him in R3. Not a fan of Thompson. Risk-taker and not terribly impactful considering the talent surrounding him at Alabama.
[Reply]
O.city 04:22 PM 02-19-2019
Heres the thing though guys, drafting in the backass end of the first round, it's going to be really hard to find guys that don't have some of these knocks on them.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:23 PM 02-19-2019
Heres the thing though guys, drafting in the backass end of the first round, it's going to be really hard to find guys that don't have some of these knocks on them.
The knock on Adderley is competition. There's no holes in his game, he just played at Delaware.
[Reply]
O.city 04:26 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The knock on Adderley is competition. There's no holes in his game, he just played at Delaware.
Well, the argument there would be that there's no holes in his game when he's playing …….well whoever Deleware plays.

How will that be when he plays (insert NFL team or player)?

I think he'll be interesting to see how he tests at the combine.
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:43 PM 02-19-2019
Well, the argument there would be that there's no holes in his game when he's playing …….well whoever Deleware plays.

Great point
[Reply]
staylor26 05:26 PM 02-19-2019

Adderley stepped right in at the Senior Bowl and looked like the guy everybody has seen on tape. Always a good sign.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up