ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 33
« First < 192526272829 30313233 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official AAF Discussion Thread***
11Chiefs 09:40 AM 02-07-2019
The first games of the Alliance of American Football (AAF) are this weekend. I haven't followed it and at this point I'm not that interested. However, a friend called me all excited. He said CBS will be carrying all the games... that seems interesting. I seen an NFL Network logo on the AAF website... that seems interesting.

What's your take? Is your DVR set? Why should I care?

https://aaf.com/schedule
[Reply]
In58men 08:41 PM 03-24-2019
https://twitter.com/barstooltweetss/...947566081?s=21

NSFW :-)
[Reply]
11Chiefs 12:34 PM 03-27-2019
NFLPA not cooperating when it comes to allowing young NFL practice squad players to join AAF.

https://es.pn/2TEWN8S

PA has a job to do, I get it, but telling guys who aren’t playing much ball they can’t work on their craft in a competitive environment hurts the players, NFL and fan interest. I think a development league is needed and should be supported by the NFLPA.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:06 PM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by 11Chiefs:
NFLPA not cooperating when it comes to allowing young NFL practice squad players to join AAF.

PA has a job to do, I get it, but telling guys who aren’t playing much ball they can’t work on their craft in a competitive environment hurts the players, NFL and fan interest. I think a development league is needed and should be supported by the NFLPA.
The AAF needs to start poaching top-end JUCO talent ASAP and get your Zeke Elliot / Maurice Clarett types to sign two year deals out of high school instead of college.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 01:09 PM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by 11Chiefs:

Agreed from a broad view. There is a lot that would have to go into it... legally
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:12 PM 03-27-2019
Sounds like the AAF is on its deathbed. Not surprising after they needed an infusion of 250 million dollars after 1 week of operating.
[Reply]
Skyy God 01:49 PM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Sounds like the AAF is on its deathbed. Not surprising after they needed an infusion of 250 million dollars after 1 week of operating.
I for one am totally shocked the USFL/XFL/AAF didn't succeed.
[Reply]
Hydrae 03:15 PM 03-27-2019
I wonder how far in debt Lamar and the other owners went while getting the AFL off the ground.
[Reply]
Skyy God 03:21 PM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
I wonder how far in debt Lamar and the other owners went while getting the AFL off the ground.
Lol, the AAF In 2019 isn’t the AFL in 1960.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:48 PM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
That’s too bad because the quality and presentation of the product is pretty decent. Unfortunately the only team that’s drawing people is San Antonio.
[Reply]
TribalElder 11:12 PM 03-27-2019
AAF about to be out of business after this weekend possibly

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-this-weekend/

It’s true that the Alliance of American Football may not make it to Year 2. It’s also true that the AAF may not make it to Final Four weekend.

Per a source with knowledge of the league’s plans, games will be played this weekend, Week Eight of the inaugural season. Beyond this weekend, however, it’s entirely possible that the plug will be pulled.

The problem arises from the upstart league’s inability to come to an agreement that would result in certain NFL players being available to the AAF. The NFL is willing to allow players who sign “futures” contracts after the conclusion of a given season to play in the AAF. The NFL Players Association has not yet agreed to the terms of what would amount to a modification of the labor deal between the NFL and the players’ union.

Modification of the labor deal is needed in large part because players who are loaned by NFL teams to the AAF would need protection against serious injury suffered while playing in the developmental league. As the source explained it, those players would receive the same payment that a practice squad player receives if he suffers a season-ending injury. Players also would receive extra compensation from the AAF for games played there, but not necessarily the full salary that gets paid to AAF players with no NFL connection.

An agreement, if one were to be reached, also would allow players under “futures” contracts to play in the XFL, given the obvious antitrust ramifications that flow from allowing NFL players to play only in the AAF and not in what will be its top competitor.

Absent a deal between the NFL and the NFLPA, AAF majority owner Tom Dundon quite possibly will choose to stop funding the league. This would force the league either to find another investor who would keep it afloat (like the league did when it tracked down Dundon) or go out of business.

It’s not the first existential threat the AAF has faced this season. As a different source with knowledge of the courtship of Dundon to buy controlling interest in the league has told PFT, the AAF was “done” before Dundon signed on. If he now signs off, the AAF may indeed be out of business.

And that would truly be a shame. Beyond providing game reps for would-be NFL players who otherwise get none, the AAF gives opportunities to coaches, coordinators, executives, officials, and more. There’s currently talk of ensuring that even more former NFL players would get more of the AAF assistant coaching positions, if the league survives.

For now, underscore the word “if.” Dundon’s comments to USA Today were not posturing or grandstanding. Without a mechanism for using NFL players in its 2020 season, the AAF may not make it to the end of its 2019 season.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 05:47 AM 03-28-2019
Well that's too bad, for the most part I liked it.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:53 AM 03-28-2019
What a shame. If it’s not a money thing they should at least finish out the season. They owe that to what few fans they have. Also the players and coaches who have been invested time and energy
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 06:17 AM 03-28-2019
I also saw that Vince McMahon sold off more WWE stock yesterday to help fund the XFL. Would be a shame to see him build pro wrestling to a multi-billion dollar industry only to end up broke chasing another dream.
[Reply]
Why Not? 06:51 AM 03-28-2019
When are people gonna get that there just isn’t a big interest in second rate football played in the spring/summer? Part of what makes the NFL(even D1 NCAA)is that not only do they have the best players in the world, but the process of anticipation leading up to the best half of the year is amongst sport’s fans favorite “look forward to”. Nobody wants to fill in that gap watching Trent Richardson and Matt Asiata try to act like they still belong. These leagues(different than the AFL back in the day and even different than the USFL)will never work.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 06:58 AM 03-28-2019
I just don't understand why the NFL won't make (or in this case support) a "feeder league" that plays in the spring. I mean, did the get so burned by NFL Europe that they can't see that Spring ball played in the US and supported by the NFL would be a total success? Back when the UFL (5 teams, 3 seasons, only on complete season) realized that they cannot fight the NFL juggernaut, one of their owners suggested a partnership with the NFL. It makes total sense, it gives more players a chance to compete and it doesn't get in the way of the NFL season...

...I seriously don't understand. With all the NFL bullshit we are forced to endure (games in London, Mexico City...Thursday night football) why wouldn't they do this??
[Reply]
Page 29 of 33
« First < 192526272829 30313233 >
Up