ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Lucky to be alive, just spent 3 weeks in ICU!
ROYC75 01:21 AM 06-26-2018
I can thank the Good Lord I'm alive, seriously.

Monday, June 4th, I awoke with the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, in my right leg, one of the knee replacements I had over 1 1/2 year ago. I could not walk, they had to call an ambulance to get me to the ER.

Once there, I told them what was going on as I'm passing in and out from the pain, with periods of talking nonsense, shit out of nowhere. Through the evaluations, test, simple blood test, they sent me back home with inflammation and a possible knee infection. I need to follow up with my knee doctor on Thursday, of which I already have an appointment.

I go home, go to bed, over the next 2.5 days, I'min and out of reality, at times awaking not knowing who or where I was. After losing my wife 2 months ago, they all thought I was worn out it was all catching up to me,so they let me rest but was concerned about me talking out of my head. My dog never left my side except to go to relieve himself outside a few times.

Thurs, June 7th, late afternoon my daughter somehow awakes me, gets me to the car, Of course I know none of what's happening. So away we go to the doctors office that installed my knees, while there, I'm out of it, talking deliriously. They tell my daughter to get me to the ER, I was having a stroke. Seriously Doc,have my daughter take me instead of calling for an ambulance? While at the ER awaiting to get me some help, she left me standing up in the doorway of the van. Well, I passed out, falling inward and landing between the buckets seats. It took 3 EMT's to drag me out of the car pulling on both arms that have with rotar cuff injuries. After checking to see if I was having a stroke, the ER doc on call was different from Monday, heard all that has happened and ran a test for 6 different infections, turns out I had MRSA and he suspected I had Sepsis. He started a central IV in my neck and started giving me 2 types of powerful antibiotics and a high rate. I was already going into shock stage with my organs starting to shut down. They had to get BP and heart stable in order to transfer me to Owensboro.

Within 4 hrs I was loaded up and shipped off where they were better equipped to handle this type of infections. It was spreading at an alarming rate cause I was upgraded within 2 hrs, sepsis, to a higher grade of sepsis and then to sepsis shock where your organs begin shutting down. I went from a 30% chance of death, to 50% to 80% within a 2 hour period. For the next 3 days I'm unconscious, out of it and when I came to at times, didn't know who I was,where I was, I hurt like HELL, serious body pain, my left arm damaged from the fall and the EMT's dragging me out of the car. But I knew none of this, I awoke thinking I am in a prison camp, being tortured, I have no clue why.

My family was scared that I was dying, especially after losing Carrie 60 days prior. Doctors on Sunday June 10th, came in and told me & the family the source of the infection and that they had scheduled surgery for Tues, June 12th. Plan was to go in, cut the old knee out,install a spacer and clean up as well as they could. I awoke June 13th late, was told a little about what went on, but not really knowing anything until Thur. the 14th. Each day I have gotten a little bit better while taking that same powerful antibiotics.

I have since transferred to a Managed Rehab Center in Greenville, the town I live in. I will be here until the end of July, all the time taking antibiotics by IV daily. If all is good with the blood test, I can have the knee opened up and have a new one put in again. All of this is whether they can get my left arm and shoulder to respond enough so I can use a walker again.

The plan is a new knee at the first to middle of Aug.

Rehab right knee over next 6 to 8 months.

When healthy enough, Repair left shoulder and arm, another 1 year of rehab

After that, Right shoulder rotator rebuild, another 1 year of rehab.

Next 2 years and 10 months are tied up, but I am alive!

A doctor told me off the record the 1st hospital dropped the ball on me and that I was lucky to be alive, easily within hours of passing if the infection grew with out the antibiotics given when they were given.

Count your blessings CP members, I was find on Sunday the 3rd and my whole world changed in less than 24 hours.

BTW, it took me 2 hrs to type this with 1 arm that is working about 50%.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:22 PM 07-01-2018
Glad you survived. Best of luck going forward.
[Reply]
ROYC75 07:39 PM 07-01-2018
Originally Posted by scho63:
Life is nothing more than an individual obstacle course.

You are born and you begin your trek. Some things are minor to test your patience and character, some are major to test your will and fortitude and there are those that are monumental to see if you will finish the quest.

ROYC75 you have passed every challenge......:-)
Thank you,that was very nice.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 08:00 AM 07-02-2018
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
We are awaiting the medical reportsto see if there is a possibility.
Are Club Level seats in your future? :-)
[Reply]
RedRaider56 04:14 PM 07-02-2018
Wow..Glad to hear you on the road to recovery. Hang in there and continue to get better
[Reply]
Bwana 04:43 PM 07-03-2018
Wow, speedy road to recovery Roy.
[Reply]
patteeu 09:25 AM 07-04-2018
Good luck with your recovery, ROYC75. Scary experience.

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Med mal cases are hard to pursue in many states that, like MO, have damage caps.

Tort reform is great until it screws you over, brah.
FYP
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:25 PM 07-04-2018
Wow, hang in there dude..
[Reply]
ROYC75 03:06 PM 07-05-2018
Mini Update: While I have to check out temporarily tomorrow to go to the infectious disease doctor, 35 miles back north, hoping for a good report on the blood work?

However I had a set back on my right shoulder 2 nights ago. Reached over to PU a glass of water on a tray and felt the muscle pull/tear causing a delay on healing. Still can not PU the left arm while now the right is much weaker and just as painful.

I have lost 18 pounds in a month, food sucks,no appetite. They have had a very hard time putting IV's in and keeping them in. My arms are black and blue all over I awaiting on a team of professionals to come in and install a mid line.

This is a fight where I have to be so damn bullheaded that I don't get down and just want to give up. I can see where some older folks just don't have the will to fight and give up. I have never given up anything, it's not in my makeup. Anytime I have been challenged with anything, I have always been able to reach down and grab that extra bag of determination and apply it.

Here's hoping tomorrow's reports are encouraging. :-)
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 07:54 AM 07-06-2018
Mini Update: While I have to check out temporarily tomorrow to go to the infectious disease doctor, 35 miles back north, hoping for a good report on the blood work?

However I had a set back on my right shoulder 2 nights ago. Reached over to PU a glass of water on a tray and felt the muscle pull/tear causing a delay on healing. Still can not PU the left arm while now the right is much weaker and just as painful.

I have lost 18 pounds in a month, food sucks,no appetite. They have had a very hard time putting IV's in and keeping them in. My arms are black and blue all over I awaiting on a team of professionals to come in and install a mid line.

This is a fight where I have to be so damn bullheaded that I don't get down and just want to give up. I can see where some older folks just don't have the will to fight and give up. I have never given up anything, it's not in my makeup. Anytime I have been challenged with anything, I have always been able to reach down and grab that extra bag of determination and apply it.

Here's hoping tomorrow's reports are encouraging. :-)
This is why I think you should pay someone to fix your plumbing. You need to take it easy and rest up. You are not in DIY mode after what you are going thru. Drink plenty of water.
[Reply]
ROYC75 01:56 PM 07-06-2018
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
This is why I think you should pay someone to fix your plumbing. You need to take it easy and rest up. You are not in DIY mode after what you are going thru. Drink plenty of water.
Thanks for the concerns, but I have my son and oldest grandson that has been helping me with projects that actually do a very good job of listing to me as I supervise at times. I have no concerns about them or1 of them doing a good job on a simple project this time around.

Again, the several hundred dollars in savings will come in handy when I need it for other projects or even car tires!
[Reply]
ROYC75 02:02 PM 07-06-2018
OK update today was: normal. I kid ya not, it's what the doctor said. Then said that with all I had went through, we were right on course with where I should be with fighting the left over infection. I go back in 2 weeks to be examined again before determining if he wants to release me 6 days later.
[Reply]
KC Dan 04:10 PM 07-06-2018
OK update today was: normal. I kid ya not, it's what the doctor said. Then said that with all I had went through, we were right on course with where I should be with fighting the left over infection. I go back in 2 weeks to be examined again before determining if he wants to release me 6 days later.
Good news. Keep Fighting!!!
[Reply]
Bwana 06:17 PM 07-06-2018
Great news Roy, hang tough. :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 07:25 PM 07-06-2018
Hang tough Roy.

How old are you?
[Reply]
LiveSteam 08:50 PM 07-06-2018
Dam man. That is some scary shit.
Gods speed to a full recovery
[Reply]
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >