ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>SCUBA
penguinz 07:05 PM 08-17-2017
How many here are certified? I do my pool class on Saturday and open water soon.

Always wanted to and finally doing it at 42.

Wish I had gotten my certification before going to Cayman this past spring.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:42 PM 03-08-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Certified in the Maldives. Have done a lot of amazing dives all over. It's absolutely one of my favorite things in the world and I can't recommend it enough to anyone considering it.
Well that's kind of in the middle of nowhere! LIKE!!!

If you ever have the chance to dive Guam (before it tips over), I'd highly recommend it... Examples here.
[Reply]
Pape 09:53 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by RollChiefsRoll:
Did you dive the wrecks at Bikini Atoll?
Unfortunately no. Didnt that the island hopper. Direct flight from guan and honolulu. Did dive guam / apra harbor.

Bikini would be a dream destination.

Thw wrecks in Truk were amazing though.
[Reply]
Pape 10:27 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:

If you ever have the chance to dive Guam .
Guam is some great diving. The wrecks in apra harbor are good dives
[Reply]
tx4chiefs 10:58 AM 03-09-2019
I highly recommend diving. I also waited until my 40's, but now I wish I hadn't. I dive every chance I can and am now a divemaster. Been all over the Caribbean.
[Reply]
Pape 12:03 PM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by tx4chiefs:
I highly recommend diving. I also waited until my 40's, but now I wish I hadn't. I dive every chance I can and am now a divemaster. Been all over the Caribbean.
Gratz on the divemaster rating. Well done.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:04 PM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by Pape:
Guam is some great diving. The wrecks in apra harbor are good dives
Some of the local divers stationed at the base's dive locker who were working on our boat took us to the southern part of the island, it wasn't deep, but it was endless reef..
[Reply]
penguinz 07:14 PM 03-09-2019
Dove for first time in Turks and Caicos last summer. Going to dive at minimum once yearly until no longer physically possible.

Diving kelp forest in June this year and hopefully somewhere else this fall/winter.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:24 PM 03-09-2019

If you ever have the chance to dive Guam (before it tips over), I'd highly recommend it... Examples here.
Yeah, never done that area. It's on the list for sure. Galapagos too. Though not sure I can ever live on a boat for several days and dive intermittently.

Maldives was amazing for a variety of reasons but each resort is on its own island. The diving is outstanding but travel time to each site can be forever. The most amazing schools of fish I'll ever encounter. There's every type of dive there if you search for it.

Bora Bora is my favorite place to dive. Multiple sites nearby and all pay dividends with experiences. You have a nearby dive to see mantas, another to be surrounded by 20 lemon and reef sharks, and then another to see a school of 30 eagle rays. This was very rewarding.

Hawaii didn't blow me away, but there was a gimmicky night manta ray dive which was perhaps the coolest thing I've ever done.

I did my PADI Discover Scuba in Fiji and then dove there again a few years later when I was more serious. Similar to the Maldives. A lot of amazing stuff and all are spread out. Gorgeous.

In the Caribbean I've done Turks many times and the Caymans. A lot of really nice experiences there but they're relaxed.

Regardless, if you're reading this thread and interested, go get certified. If you're just underwater for 45 minutes concentrating on your breathing in a relaxed state, it's still one of the best forms of therapeutic meditation that you'll encounter.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:41 PM 03-09-2019
I like the idea that diving makes planning vacations easy.

The son and I have diving the ghost ships on the Great Lakes on our bucket list.

(And this lady doing the photography is one of the best in the business...)

[Reply]
Pape 07:49 PM 03-09-2019
Some of the local divers stationed at the base's dive locker who were working on our boat took us to the southern part of the island, it wasn't deep, but it was endless reef..
Right outside of Apra, near Orote Point, there is a small blue hole... great little dive site drops down pretty deep, open back up to the ocean, fun dive.

Never dove the southern end of the island though, wasn't there long enough. But i did get to see most of the island...

Hangin' out at the Inajaran Pools

[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:08 PM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by Pape:
Right outside of Apra, near Orote Point, there is a small blue hole... great little dive site drops down pretty deep, open back up to the ocean, fun dive.

Never dove the southern end of the island though, wasn't there long enough. But i did get to see most of the island...

Hangin' out at the Inajaran Pools
:-):-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:55 PM 03-25-2019
It was a great trip. 25 dives, a Cenote and night dive (firsts for the younger son), and lots of good time. I touched on my NDL once, but that's OK, a 10 minute stop was worth the price of an extra 10 minutes.

[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:34 PM 03-30-2019
Was talking to an old dive buddy on the east coast today and he's planting the seed for a trip to Truk. Now THAT would be cool as all get-out...

[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:44 AM 04-25-2019
My next door neighbor in Va. Beach (long after I got out) was a full-on Navy diver (hard-hat), and yeah, he pulled a couple of pilots out of the water. His worst mission was aboard the USS Hoist when they recovered remains from flight 800. He was jacked after that, and I get it...

Speaking of the Hoist, before I joined the Navy I dated the Hoist's CMC. Amazing how small the world is...

This is another dive I want to do:

My boat kicked the Radford all over the ocean during an exercise, I went 10-for-10 with putting ADCAPs on them, enough to have been given the ship's seal. I might just return it... Skimmers are just too easy.. Unless you were on the USS Moosebrugger, those guys were uncommonly challenging..

And I think the Navy still has the school in PC, "On the Bayou"!!! Good times...
So the son was looking for some things in the basement, and looks at what he finds... Ha, now he's pumped to make that dive. Perhaps I return it to ship as a token of my appreciation for it becoming a reef and helping the ocean. :-) :-)

[Reply]
Coyote 06:59 AM 04-25-2019
So the son was looking for some things in the basement, and looks at what he finds... Ha, now he's pumped to make that dive. Perhaps I return it to ship as a token of my appreciation for it becoming a reef and helping the ocean. :-) :-)
Or let him present it to the museum:
“The USS Radford National Naval Museum was a collection of memorabilia about the ship that was located in Newcomerstown, Ohio.[2] The museum closed in 2011[3] and its contents were moved to the USS Orleck Naval Museum that is located in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Exhibits include photos, uniforms, and displays about the ship and her service.”
Nah, your first idea was better.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up