ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>SCUBA
penguinz 07:05 PM 08-17-2017
How many here are certified? I do my pool class on Saturday and open water soon.

Always wanted to and finally doing it at 42.

Wish I had gotten my certification before going to Cayman this past spring.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 09:38 PM 08-17-2017
Received my certification on Key West back in the 80s. Been down 5-6 times since then but sort of lost my "zeal" over the years.

Living in the Midwest, there isn't much call for tanks, regulators and the like....

However, while stuck in San Diego for two years, I did go twice with my Son - who was in the Navy at the time. Checked out several wrecks.
[Reply]
tx4chiefs 10:11 PM 08-17-2017
Certified about 17 years ago. In DiveMaster class right now. Been all over the Caribbean. Didn't do it until I was about 40. Wish I'd sone it sooner. Making up for lost time now.
Nothing like weightlessness underwater with no sounds other than your bubbles.
[Reply]
2bikemike 10:21 PM 08-17-2017
I'm a diver. I certified many year ago. I used to dive locally in San Diego which is really quite poor diving. I did have one really great dive in San Diego off of La Jolla when these squid were spawning. There were millions of them. There laid these tubular egg sacks all over the ocean floor. It attracted all manner of sea life to feed. It was really incredible and hard to describe in anyway that does it justice.

Once I got a taste of really good diving I haven't been back down locally. I mostly dive in Hawaii now since that is Mrs. 2bike's favorite vacation spot.
[Reply]
BigRichard 07:25 AM 08-18-2017
I am certified and have dived in the Cayman Islands, Bahamas, and Playa Del Carmen. The Cayman's was awesome. I did my open water test in Iowa in a quarry. It sucked! It was October and it was early morning. The temperature was like 50 degrees(maybe less) out and another class had just dove in the wet suit I was borrowing from the instructor. It was already wet and it was cold as shit. I froze my balls off.

If you ever get the chance do a night dive. Did mine in the Cayman Islands and it was cool as shit. Spooky but cool.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:36 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Open water will be at beaver lake. Visibility ranges 15-30 feet.
That Lake is supposed to have huge Stripers. I went to Texoma with a guide and he goes there(Beaver) for a month from 8/15 -9/15 to guide. He said he'd guarantee me a fish to put on the wall. Take you a speargun or a fishing pole.
[Reply]
Hog Rider 08:56 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by scho63:
Did you dive Tarpon Alley in Cayman? It was a large coral head with fingers at around 60 feet and then in the shoots that went down another forty were HUNDREDS of giant 30-60 pound tarpon just slowing moving back and forth as the current passed in between the shoots and fingers.

It was something I will never forget.
I also have a great picture I took of a nurse shark, a turtle and a giant 250 lb+ grouper at the anchor when we go to the bottom at around 80 feet.

Clearest water I ever dove.
We have dove there a couple trips. The tarpon that used to hang out there (if I remember) and Bonnies Arch are rarely around anymore, too many divers. Plus a Hotel on the beach has tarpon feeding a couple times per evening where folks can hand feed the beautiful beasties. That may have helped draw them away.

Cameras are great to have, and you can now rent GoPros. Man how things have changed. We had not done any dive trips in 15 years. Cameras are much less bulky, LED dive lights are crazy bright and most dive op's let you use complimentary computers if you don't have one to get the most out of your bottom time.

Probably won't ever jump in again - other things to do and see, but when the kid requested getting certified to be able to dive with us on her 21st birthday I happily said YES!

Oh, and a small live-aboard is the way to go. I did a week on the Sea Dragon cruising the tiny islands in the Bahamas. Five dives a day if your surface intervals allow!

JP
[Reply]
Otter 09:06 AM 08-18-2017
Was certified early this year. Saying there's a lack of good dive spots where I live is an understatement. Once you get used to breathing underwater the rest is cake. It's like being weightless in outer space. At least that's what they tell me.

Have fun and give yourself time to get used to the breathing.
[Reply]
el borracho 12:08 PM 08-18-2017
Certified; have hundreds of hours underwater; and been diving in a couple of dozen countries (mostly Caribbean and Central America). Been bumped by a shark; been in the water with the world's largest fish (on a few occassions); and heard whales singing while underwater.

Best advice: remember there is a sometimes a difference between what people will allow you to do (especially in third world countries) and what is a good idea. Have fun, but be smart and do not exceed your training and experience. Scuba diving is not a ride at Disneyland.

Oh, and go night diving if you get the chance- some of the strangest things on this planet are nocturnal marine animals.
[Reply]
penguinz 01:33 PM 08-18-2017
I am really looking forward to it. Definitely will be going back to Cayman when I can. Did a bunch of snorkeling and can't wait to see how much more there deeper.

Some pictures I got while snorkeling Cayman...

[Reply]
DiaperBoy27 01:38 PM 08-18-2017

[Reply]
olout 10-17-2017, 02:57 AM
This message has been deleted by DaFace. Reason: spam
tx4chiefs 05:14 AM 10-17-2017
I've been certified for over 17 years. NAUI Master Diver and training to be a Divemaster. It is a peaceful while underwater and you can go to beautiful islands for vacation.

Diving and Chiefs, two of the greatest things.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:46 AM 10-17-2017
Cool man, I dig it, but this is a football forum.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10-17-2017, 09:23 AM
This message has been deleted by Randallflagg.
Holladay 10:51 AM 10-17-2017
You must not look at this site much. I get some of my best "non-football" advice from this board.

This is an eclectic group of people who DO share a passion for our Chiefs, but other passions as well.
[Reply]
penguinz 11:17 AM 10-17-2017
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Cool man, I dig it, but this is a football forum.
Go fist yourself. 😉
[Reply]
ptlyon 11:25 AM 10-17-2017
Originally Posted by penguinz:
I am really looking forward to it. Definitely will be going back to Cayman when I can. Did a bunch of snorkeling and can't wait to see how much more there deeper.

Some pictures I got while snorkeling Cayman...

Where's the tits man
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up