ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock Offseason 2/28/19
kccrow 12:32 AM 02-28-2019
Last go around before real free agency starts... enjoy/hate... it's all good. :-)

Tags/Tenders
DE Dee Ford: Franchise Tag estimated at $15.78m
FS Jordan Lucas: RFA Original Round Tender estimated $2.05m (Hoping KC reaches an extension agreement to lower the hit)
DL Justin Hamilton: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus
PK Harrison Butker: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus
WR Markus Kemp: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus
WR Gehrig Deiter: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus

Cuts

SS Eric Berry: Berry electing not to have surgery probably means he's either going to retire or be shown the door. The Chiefs, should he be cut, will designate him as June 1 cut with savings of $9.55 and $5.55 million over the next two seasons. This money can be used for extensions for Hill and Jones that don't need to get done now (estimates available in previous mocks). EDIT: If KC retains Berry, it's nothing that will change this really for me. Just probably swap out the 7th round pick I made and also it probably means just waiting to sign Hill and Jones next year. Nothing too big IMO.

SS Daniel Sorensen: Sorensen hasn't been much of an asset since signing his extension, routinely missing tackles and being subpar in coverage assignments. The Chiefs ailments in the back end are extensive and require re-tooling. The move frees up an additional $2.693m in cap space in 2019 and $4.75m in 2020 with dead money of $2.0m in 2019.

Trades

ED Justin Houston: The Chiefs have to make a decision between keeping Justin Houston or keeping Dee Ford, in all likelihood. The Chiefs should try to get something for Houston rather than releasing him outright. The Jets have needed a pass rusher for a decade and have more than enough cap space to absorb Houston's cap. The Jets send a 3rd round pick #93 received from the Saints and a 2020 conditional 5th round pick to KC for Houston.

FA Acquisitions

FS Tre Boston (ARZ): Boston has proven over the past 4 seasons to be one of the most reliable safeties in the NFL, and that's precisely what KC needs. He's solid in coverage and agains the run. Arizona seems to be in a state of flux, but would be best served to retain him. That said, they may just let many of their guys hit the market and completely re-tool in the eyes of their new coach.
[I]4 years/$29.0m with 16.0m guaranteed including an 8.0m signing bonus. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 5.75 2020: 6.75 2021: 7.75 2022: 8.75.

LB Gerald Hodges (ARZ): The Chiefs entertained Hodges a year ago and perhaps Veach kicks the tires again. Hodges was productive down the stretch for Arizona and would be a solid fit as a strong side linebacker here now for the short term.
[I]2 years/$3.6m with a $1.0m signing bonus. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: $1.58m 2020 $2.03m

ED Shane Ray (DEN): Ray was really solid in 2016 but saw a decreasing role the past two years. He'll move on and happens to fit similarly to Dee Ford as a LEO type that can rush the edge from the 9 spot. Veach seems to like high-round reclamation projects so perhaps he can get Ray on the cheap and turn him back around.
3 years/$9.50m with $2.25m signing bonus with potential performance escalators of $2.0m in each year if certain statistical milestones are met. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 2.50 2020: 3.25 2021: 3.75

TE Maxx Williams (BAL): Williams has had alot of injuries throughout his career but he's still extremely young and has flashed what made him a high round pick. He'd make an excellent number two type with solid hands, route running, and blocking ability.
3 years/$9.0m with $1.5m signing bonus, and $1.0m roster bonuses in 2020 and 2021 if he's on the roster the 5th day of the new league year. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 2.00 2020: 3.25 2021: 3.75

RB T.J. Yeldon (JAX): Yeldon is a nice complimentary back that really excels in the passing game and could be a sure-fire weapon under Andy Reid, especially given his penchant for using backs on screens and down the field. Yeldon may look for a starting gig but if there are no takers, he's going to have plenty of options to be part of a committee once again and there may not be a better fit for him.
2 years/$4.5m with $1.4m signing bonus and $1.9m guaranteed. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 1.75 2020: 2.75

Draft

Chiefs receive a 6th round compensatory selection for Bennie Logan.
Chiefs do a draft day trade sending 1st round selection #29 and 2nd round selection #63 to Minnesota for selection #18.

1.018 CB Byron Murphy, Washington (5'11" 185)
2.061 DE Austin Bryant, Clemson (6'5" 280)
3.092 SS Juan Thornhill, Virginia (6'1" 215)
3.093 WR Gary Jennings, Jr., West Virginia (6'1" 215)
5.167 CB Blace Brown, Troy (6'0" 192)
6.201 TE Dawson Knox, Mississippi (6'4" 257)
6.214 LB Ryan Connelly, Wisconsin (6'3" 240) [Comp - Logan]
7.216 SS Khari Willis, Michigan State (5'11" 213) [f/SF - Streater]

Roster (Not representative of 53)

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne, Chase Litton
RB: Damien Williams, T.J. Yeldon, Darrel Williams
FB: UDFA or some vet min guy
TE: Travis Kelce, Maxx Williams, Dawson Knox
WR: Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Demarcus Robinson, Gary Jennings Jr., Byron Pringle, Marcus Kemp, Gehrig Deiter
OT: Eric Fisher, Mitchell Schwartz, Andrew Wylie (OG)
OG: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Cameron Erving (OC), Ryan Hunter, Khalil McKenzie
OC: Austin Reiter, Jimmy Murray
DE: Dee Ford, Breeland Speaks, Austin Bryant, Shane Ray, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Rob McCray
DT: Chris Jones, Derrick Nnadi, Xavier Williams, Justin Hamilton
LB: Anthony Hitchens, Gerald Hodges, Dorian O'Daniel, Reggie Ragland, Ryan Connelly, Ben Niemann
CB: Kendall Fuller, Byron Murphy, Charvarius Ward, Blace Brown, Tremon Smith, D'Montre Wade
SS: Juan Thornhill, Armani Watts, Khari Willis
FS: Tre Boston, Jordan Lucas, Eric Murray
ST: Harrison Butker, Dustin Colquitt, James Winchester

Note: Moves leave roughly $6.19 cap pre-June 1 and $7.74 post-June 1.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:48 AM 02-28-2019
Fuck it, I'm in!
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:11 AM 02-28-2019
i really like your draft.

Still not on the 'sign and pay a FA RB' train, I think a mid-late round pick makes more sense.

Tre Boston...well, if landing Landon Collins is a home run, then Boston's like...a solid single. But, that would indeed be an upgrade to anything we saw on the field the last two years.

Nice work.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 09:17 AM 02-28-2019
I like it. Seems very feasible.

If you get a leap from Speaks which I believe the FO is expecting, that’s some great DE depth. Although I think Ray wants to start somewhere pretty badly.
[Reply]
O.city 09:22 AM 02-28-2019
They had a chance to sign Boston cheap last year and didn't seem interested. I can't imagine they would be this year.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 09:25 AM 02-28-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
They had a chance to sign Boston cheap last year and didn't seem interested. I can't imagine they would be this year.
Different scheme though. Spags supposedly told Veach what he likes to have at each position, and history says that he wants a good range free safety to stick back there rather than rotating guys a bunch like Sutton seemed to.

So Boston fits that single high role tremendously.
[Reply]
O.city 09:30 AM 02-28-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Different scheme though. Spags supposedly told Veach what he likes to have at each position, and history says that he wants a good range free safety to stick back there rather than rotating guys a bunch like Sutton seemed to.

So Boston fits that single high role tremendously.
How much different scheme is the secondary going to be though?

I wouldn't hang much on Boston.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:00 AM 02-28-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
How much different scheme is the secondary going to be though?

I wouldn't hang much on Boston.
Here's what I believe the thought process would be. Veach always says he likes to attack positions of depth in the draft or FA. Safety class in FA is deep, its a great buyer's market. You pick up a safety or two through FA (pending the Berry release), and you don't have to look for one as hard in the draft. You can take a CB or two, maybe a TE, OL, whatever you need at that point.

Boston is an above average safety who can patch a hole at safety for awhile.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:26 PM 02-28-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Here's what I believe the thought process would be. Veach always says he likes to attack positions of depth in the draft or FA. Safety class in FA is deep, its a great buyer's market. You pick up a safety or two through FA (pending the Berry release), and you don't have to look for one as hard in the draft. You can take a CB or two, maybe a TE, OL, whatever you need at that point.

Boston is an above average safety who can patch a hole at safety for awhile.
i can agree with that.
[Reply]
cmh6476 09:48 AM 02-03-2020
I'd trade Ford, trade Houston, keep Butker and Sorensen, sign Mathieu, trade for Frank Clark, and that Thornhill guy sounds nice.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:16 PM 02-03-2020
Originally Posted by cmh6476:
I'd trade Ford, trade Houston, keep Butker and Sorensen, sign Mathieu, trade for Frank Clark, and that Thornhill guy sounds nice.
Awesome take.

May want to go back to the year I was pounding the table for Mahomes non-stop for months while you're at it though.
[Reply]
Up