ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Let's talk Sam 'backers....
DJ's left nut 11:08 AM 02-25-2019
So this may be a better fit for the main lounge but I don't even like those guys so fuck 'em.

In trying to respond to O.City's condescending ass, I realized that I don't have nearly as good a feel for Sam backers in this defense as I'd like to. As I was trying to come up with later round ideas, I decided I was pretty much spitballing.

So how do some of you fine gentlement view the Sam role here and how does that translate to a prospect for you?

I think I kinda see this as the Guard of the linebacking corps. Someone who you can't just send out there to suck, but probably a role you can/should be able to fill a little more cheaply with someone that's maybe a bit of a conventional tweener. Then again, I imagine that Justin Houston at his peak would've been an absolute monster and a prototype 4-3 Sam. So if you CAN fill it with peak Justin Houston, I guess you should. But lets say you just have normal mortals, who you lookin' at there?

My list is short and probably crappy because I'm trying to fill it with minimal draft capital. So I got to:

Deandre Walker, UGA
Germaine Pratt, NC State
Khalil Hodge, Buffalo

Then a bunch of guys that are probably more what I would consider Will prospects and a few 3-4 ILBs.

So is this position actually fairly difficult to scout or do I just not know what I'm looking for?
[Reply]
Chief Northman 09:14 PM 02-25-2019
All the players mentioned would be nice adds, but I’m with DJ here:
I think Walker and Pratt best fill the typical measurables and projections as a Sam in the
4-3 Under. Both can pressure the backfield effectively and pursue well. While coverage is not their strength, they are not terrible there either.

Hodge best projects as a MLB in my estimation, and I think guys like Hanks and Joseph project better at Will. Bush as a MLB/Will is intriguing too. Johnson is a Will in my opinion and could be a late round gem.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:56 PM 02-25-2019
not too many SAM guys in this draft imo... there I like guys like Tevon Coney, T.J. Edwards, Ryan Connelly, Khalil Hodge, D'Andre Walker, Germaine Pratt
[Reply]
RunKC 09:31 AM 02-26-2019
Craig Stout brought up Shaq Barrett. I wouldn’t mind that if the price works.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:55 AM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Craig Stout brought up Shaq Barrett. I wouldn’t mind that if the price works.
That’s an interesting option.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 09:40 PM 02-26-2019
I suggested the Shaq Barrett acquisition in my lazy/offseason mock. I think he’d be great veteran depth at worst, and more likely a starter while maybe a rookie is groomed. I bet he can be had for under double digits too.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up