ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3437 of 3903
« First < 2437293733373387342734333434343534363437 3438343934403441344734873537 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 12:29 PM 02-11-2021
I'd guess it's more likely your antibody test was false.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 12:43 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
That is my thought as well.
[Reply]
kgrund 01:01 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
I'm amazed how many people seem to want to look for ways for this to never end. It's a mind set I just can't grasp.
Fueled by two things (1) public health officials who fear nobody will listen to them if this thing is going away and (2) media outlets that know bad news and fear gets more clicks than good news and fearlessness
[Reply]
KC_Lee 01:20 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by kgrund:
Fueled by two things (1) public health officials who fear nobody will listen to them if this thing is going away and (2) media outlets that know bad news and fear gets more clicks than good news and fearlessness
Allow me to add a 3rd item; businesses worried about getting sued if someone gets 'da 'Rona in their place of businesses. Think airlines, most major retailers, etc.

Given the litigious nature of our society I guarantee that this is major worry for most businesses.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 01:22 PM 02-11-2021
I wonder how much of it is people just want to watch society burn and people being unable to be happy living their normal lives. Misery, company and all that. Any good news is met with a "well but".
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:25 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
Allow me to add a 3rd item; businesses worried about getting sued if someone gets 'da 'Rona in their place of businesses. Think airlines, most major retailers, etc.

Given the litigious nature of our society I guarantee that this is major worry for most businesses.
Probably much less of a concern than going completely out of business. At this point they should have a level of immunity anyway. Nobody is making anyone go anywhere for business, its all choice with known risk at this point.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 01:28 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Probably much less of a concern than going completely out of business.
Yeah but the big box stores like Wal Mart have very little to worry about on that front. Hate to wade into politics here, but if there were protections from being sued by someone getting sick on an airplane or in a grocery store these restrictions would end quicker.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 01:28 PM 02-11-2021
VA offered me an opportunity to get the shot, declined it, told them to give it to someone older. I’m young, healthy and can wait until later for it, hopefully my spot goes to someone who needs it more than I
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:11 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
#ZeroCOVID or #HarmReduction?
— Vinay Prasad weighs the two competing targets
by Vinay Prasad, MD, MPH February 9, 2021

Meanwhile, vaccination changes the calculus. Across all vaccine trials to date, and 65,000 vaccinated participants, there are zero hospitalizations and zero deaths. Vaccination removes the fangs from the snake. If we can successfully vaccinate adults, particularly older adults, then eradicating SARS-CoV-2 takes on less importance.

I struggle to think this is a realistic, feasible or practical goal for us. If you read my past columns, it should come as no surprise that I am of the school of public health that favors harm reduction. But I am curious about what you think?[/I]

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/vinay-prasad/91123
Vaccination is a game changer and global eradication ain't happening.

That said:

Unfortunately, vaccinations aren't 100% effective and mutations are happening. So, the snake hasn't been completely defanged.

If the vaccine is 90~95% effective against the original version and anywhere from 50-85% effective against new versions; and you have a significant number of people under 50 that probably aren't going to get vaccinated so the virus is going to continue to spread

This means a lot of people over 80 are going to continue to die. Not as many and not as quickly as currently, which is absolutely a good thing. But it will still be a lot.

And just because somebody under 50 has already had the virus, doesn't mean they won't be able to get it a second time. This is already happening in South Africa and South America. Those that got the virus in 2020 and don't get vaccinated stand a good chance of getting a second version in 2021. Especially if they have the attitude that things are 'over' and everyone goes back to a business as usual.

And the more people both in the US and around the globe that get the virus, the more chances the virus has to mutate and come up with versions that are resistant to whatever the current vaccines are. So just because there is a vaccine available to those that want to take it, those that refuse still can effect those that want it.

Hopefully, they can roll out updated vaccines fast enough to keep up with the changes in the virus.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:15 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
I'm amazed how many people seem to want to look for ways for this to never end. It's a mind set I just can't grasp.
Being cleared eyed about the danger isn't the same as wanting things to not end.

I haven't visited my elderly mom in over a year because I haven't wanted to travel halfway across the country and put her at risk because she is in a very high risk group. Thankfully, she is within days of getting her second shot and I have already made plans to fly out.

Sure, there are some that seem to delight in the sky is falling or cheering on a slow motion train wreck. But I think those that have been saying this is a real issue have generally been closer to how things have worked out than those that have dismissive of this from the beginning.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:21 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
We have been told from day 1 with viruses that they mutate to more transmittable and less deadly correct?
Mutations that are more transmittable are strongly selected for. So for instance, when you have half the population vaccinated but the virus is still widely circulating, there will be strong selection pressure for the virus to mutate to a version that will evade the vaccine.

And when the virus is circulating in a population where some already have some immunity from already having had it, again there will be selection pressure to mutate to a form that can reinfect.

The pressure to be less deadly isn't necessarily as strong. If the person is most infectious at the beginning of the illness, then it doesn't really make the virus that more transmissible if the person lives or dies at the end. But over the long term, the expected trend would be toward less deadly.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:32 PM 02-11-2021
About 40% of the nation’s coronavirus deaths could have been prevented if the United States’ average death rate matched other industrialized nations, a new Lancet Commission report has found.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ll/4453762001/
[Reply]
philfree 05:41 PM 02-11-2021
The wife is scheduled for her first shot on Sat. In Branson. We live in Springfield but whatever. My wife has been signing up everyday for weeks with no word but then my cousin comes to town and within two days she gets vaccinated. She lives up by KC. WTF? So we'll drive to Branson and get it. What a fucked up mess.
[Reply]
R Clark 05:44 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
So do they pull blood on this test?
[Reply]
Demonpenz 06:16 PM 02-11-2021
I haven't been able to breathe well. had it in 5 weeks I am short of breathe still.If is no joke.
[Reply]
Page 3437 of 3903
« First < 2437293733373387342734333434343534363437 3438343934403441344734873537 > Last »
Up