Page 28 of 50
« First < 182425262728 2930313238 > Last »
Media Center>Justice League (2017)
Munson 04:34 PM 07-23-2016

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:21 AM 12-14-2017
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Perhaps not.

Fans can't just force a studio that's lost a metric-fug-ton of money to change course.

I still expect a better product once the blue ray is released.
It doesn't exist. Synder wasn't finished with principle photography and the VFX weren't even at the sketching stage.

WB would have invest a minimum of $50-$75 million dollars in order to put together an entirely new version and they're not spending another dime, other than existing footage for extras on DVD/Blu Ray.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:47 AM 12-14-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It doesn't exist. Synder wasn't finished with principle photography and the VFX weren't even at the sketching stage.

WB would have invest a minimum of $50-$75 million dollars in order to put together an entirely new version and they're not spending another dime, other than existing footage for extras on DVD/Blu Ray.
I wish you were in this thread earlier when we were arguing studio economics.

This is hard to explain but while I'm not a DC fan I wanted this to do well. Disney just gobbling up properties willy-nilly is not a good thing.

DC/WB just rushed it. They've been rushing it and in this mode where they feel they have to catch up.

They don't. Just make good movies and we'll throw money at you...
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 03:08 PM 12-19-2017
Down to $4.3m domestic this weekend, and at $219.6 domestic total.

It's got no shot of catching any of the other MCU movies domestically, as MOS is the next lowest at $291.6.

It's closer globally, trailing MOS by about $30m, but that may not be caught either, given that the movie only pulled in $5m foreign this past weekend, after bringing in $16m last weekend.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:47 PM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Down to $4.3m domestic this weekend, and at $219.6 domestic total.

It's got no shot of catching any of the other MCU movies domestically, as MOS is the next lowest at $291.6.

It's closer globally, trailing MOS by about $30m, but that may not be caught either, given that the movie only pulled in $5m foreign this past weekend, after bringing in $16m last weekend.
Star Wars made more in 3-4 days then Justice League has to date. thats amazing.
[Reply]
BigRichard 08:45 PM 12-21-2017
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Yes it is because I would say Justice League, although shit, was probably a better movie than the Last Jedi.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 03:52 AM 12-22-2017
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Lucasfilm/Disney are doing their best to destroy the Star Wars brand, but they hasn't quite done it yet. They're probably only about 1-2 movies behind DC in that regard, though.

If they keep putting out utter shit, like 1,2,3,7 and (apparently) 8, they'll get there soon enough. Judging from the response to 8, the destruction is proceeding apace.

As for the DCU, Aquaman really needs to be a hit, so the new leadership had best take enough time to get it right.
[Reply]
listopencil 03:39 AM 12-23-2017
Got around to watching this. It was somewhere between OK and meh. Wonder Woman was great, Aquaman was great. Flash was fun but I don't want to see a Flash movie, Cyborg was interesting but I don't want to see a Cyborg movie. Batman was rough in this incarnation, and I think they'd need to go ahead and make a Batman And Robin movie with Batfleck in it to make a decent movie. This Batman sorely needs someone to bounce off of - maybe start looking for the guy who is going to replace Affleck and slide him into the spot. Which leaves me with Superman, the most boring superhero ever created. I don't ever want to see a Superman movie. I think he's a shitty character that makes shitty movies.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:23 AM 12-23-2017
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
If they keep putting out utter shit, like 1,2,3,7 and (apparently) 8, they'll get there soon enough. Judging from the response to 8, the destruction is proceeding apace.
The Last Jedi is down an astounding 76.7% from last Friday's Box Office to Friday, December 22nd.

If that continues over the weekend, it'll have gone from an opening weekend of $219 million to just $52 million the following weekend.

Rogue One only dropped 31% from Opening Weekend to its second weekend of release.

That's just plain disastrous for Lucasfilm.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 11:51 AM 12-23-2017
The Last Jedi is down an astounding 76.7% from last Friday's Box Office to Friday, December 22nd.

If that continues over the weekend, it'll have gone from an opening weekend of $219 million to just $52 million the following weekend.

Rogue One only dropped 31% from Opening Weekend to its second weekend of release.

Where did you see that? Deadline's Sat AM write up has it at 102 million for the four day (counting Christmas), and 71.7 million for the three day weekend, and that includes Christmas Eve, which is usually pretty quiet around theatres, as most only run matinees and the last show is usually around 6-7 pm.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/last-jed...ce-1202230784/
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:02 PM 12-23-2017
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
Where did you see that? Deadline's Sat AM write up has it at 102 million for the four day (counting Christmas), and 71.7 million for the three day weekend, and that includes Christmas Eve, which is usually pretty quiet around theatres, as most only run matinees and the last show is usually around 6-7 pm.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/last-jed...ce-1202230784/
Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($71.7M 3-day, $102.5M 4-day) continues to pace behind 2015’s Force Awakens (-30%) and significantly ahead of last year’s Rogue One (+25%) with a $399.1M running total by Monday. Is the Star Wars pic soaking up all the air in the holiday box office?

And that's just speculation.

As for the true box office, TLJ earned $105 million on December 15th but only $24.8 million on Friday, December 22nd, a 76% dropoff.

There's also this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain...o#30a85b5d355c

Last Jedi' Grosses Are Collapsing With The Worst Daily Holds Of All 9 Star Wars Movies

Now that the initial weekend flush is behind it, that hot period when pretty much anything that had the Star Wars name on it could have earned $500 million worldwide, audience fervor for Star Wars: The Last Jedi has cooled off like a chilly winter evening on planet Hoth.

In North America, daily holds for the Rian Johnson-directed flick have been significantly worse than those experienced by Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and if the pattern continues The Last Jedi could actually wind up doing not much better than the 2016 spin-off movie.

That, of course, would be a catastrophic result, akin to Warner/DC’s disastrous, money-losing fiasco with Justice League.

Just as Justice League jammed all of DC’s biggest and most valuable superheroes into a single, swing-for-the-fences mash-up that failed to earn even as much as the single-hero, half-priced (yet far superior) Wonder Woman, so it appears that Disney may have turned the one-time opportunity to put Luke and Leia together in their last movie into an under-performing debacle that earns little more than the band-of-nobodies Rogue One.

Not that Star Wars: The Last Jedi is in any danger of losing money. There’s too much momentum behind the franchise, too many people who will pay to see it even when they've heard it’s a disappointing mess. Disney could have called it The Star Wars Movie That Will Completely Turn You Off From Ever Seeing Another Star Wars Movie Again and it still would have collected $1.2 billion at the box office and turned a tidy profit.

But for Disney, and for anyone watching, this isn't really a matter of whether The Last Jedi turns over a billion or more in revenue. That was always an easy target. This is a matter of how well the film succeeds in meeting financial expectations, how well it fulfills the needs of the franchise, and whether it strengthens the Star Wars brand for future projects.

By those measures, The Last Jedi already looks like a dud.
[Reply]
Ragged Robin 01:41 PM 12-23-2017
By those measures, The Last Jedi already looks like a dud.
>says the same guy who was vehemently arguing that Justice League isn't a failure because no matter what money is being made :-)

I honestly don't give a shit about ticket sales. The movies stand for themselves and I can see and judge them with my own eyes.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 02:16 PM 12-23-2017
Originally Posted by Ragged Robin:
>says the same guy who was vehemently arguing that Justice League isn't a failure because no matter what money is being made :-)

I honestly don't give a shit about ticket sales. The movies stand for themselves and I can see and judge them with my own eyes.
It's about context. Dane was responding to my post, with relevant and appreciated information.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:32 PM 12-23-2017
That was a quote from an article, moron, not something I said.

Sure, that's why you're following me around like a lost puppy.

:-)

Also, jackass, Warner Brothers didn't peg Justice League at a billion dollars. Their opening week estimate was only $114, far below that of Batman v. Superman.
[Reply]
listopencil 04:10 PM 12-23-2017

Well, Rogue One is a really good movie. I think it's the best one in the franchise so far even with all of the "nobody" characters. The Last Jedi isn't a really good movie.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:49 PM 12-23-2017

[Reply]
Page 28 of 50
« First < 182425262728 2930313238 > Last »
Up