ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 79 of 221
« First < 29697576777879 8081828389129179 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:55 PM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Fat bass are slowly moving back into shallows. Caught a 21 inch female this week. She was cruising the shallows. Probably half ripe with eggs. Bluegills are getting active as well
Damn, 21 inches is no joke.

Went last week with no luck nor even a nibble, but the warmer weather is here to stay it seems, they must be ready to come up into the shallows and get warm.
[Reply]
Old Dog 03:11 PM 04-05-2015
Went out for our annual family Good Friday fishing tournament. My son and I ended up with 18 crappie >10" (most between 11" and 12 1/2")and he had one 14 3/4 (just 1/4" short of his "Master Angler).
We had a total of eight boats and 22 guys out. Son and I finished second to my dad, his best friend, and my brother who ended up with 17 keepers (10 crappie and 7 white bass). The rules seem to change from year to year :-) but as long as we all get together, I'm OK with us not getting the trophy.
[Reply]
stonedstooge 03:14 PM 04-05-2015
Missouri River fishing has been slow for me so far. Haven't caught any eater size catfish yet. Have caught two carp that went around 7 pounds, a couple of small sturgeon and some baby channel cat. No blue's or flatheads
[Reply]
ptlyon 03:15 PM 04-05-2015
The boat is hooked up the whiskey is packed and heading to grove tomorrow :-)
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:15 PM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by Old Dog:
Went out for our annual family Good Friday fishing tournament. My son and I ended up with 18 crappie >10" (most between 11" and 12 1/2")and he had one 14 3/4 (just 1/4" short of his "Master Angler).
We had a total of eight boats and 22 guys out. Son and I finished second to my dad, his best friend, and my brother who ended up with 17 keepers (10 crappie and 7 white bass). The rules seem to change from year to year :-) but as long as we all get together, I'm OK with us not getting the trophy.
Thats an incredible haul this early, it'd make for one helluva fish fry.
[Reply]
beach tribe 05:37 PM 04-05-2015
WhooooooHooooo!!!!

5 pounder today. Beautiful Bass. Biggest one I've ever caught.

Powerbait swim bait shad(pearl)

Lago West golf course lake. BEST BASS FISHING EVAR!!!!!

can't wait to get the troller and finder going on this summer.
[Reply]
beach tribe 05:44 PM 04-05-2015
Oh, and got my line snapped (50lb test super smooth) by a tarpon that had to weigh 30lbs.
sucker jumped like a freakin marlin and I panicked......and my drag was too tight.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 06:25 PM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Damn, 21 inches is no joke.

Went last week with no luck nor even a nibble, but the warmer weather is here to stay it seems, they must be ready to come up into the shallows and get warm.
She's at the top of the size range in my pond but certainly not the biggest. Its an ass kicker to catch these fish from the kayak on surface baits in late may post spawn.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:25 PM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by beach tribe:
WhooooooHooooo!!!!

5 pounder today. Beautiful Bass. Biggest one I've ever caught.

Powerbait swim bait shad(pearl)

Lago West golf course lake. BEST BASS FISHING EVAR!!!!!

can't wait to get the troller and finder going on this summer.
You florida mfers make me absolutely green with envy... some of the very best freshwater fishing in the nation, and that's not even mentioning the ocean fishing.

Catch a bullshark from the beach?... man, what a high, I could literally get high on that.

I've had my eye on Pensacola as a place to live for a little over a year now, could easily see myself there very soon... I WANT that weather, I WANT those fishing and outdoors opportunites and I WANT that "just big enough, but just small enough" beach town vibe.
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:27 PM 04-05-2015
My FIL has caught a limit for 6 straight days
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:31 PM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
She's at the top of the size range in my pond but certainly not the biggest. Its an ass kicker to catch these fish from the kayak on surface baits in late may post spawn.
Busted the kayak out, you werent fooling around eh?

If 21 doesn't top you out, then that's a reeeally nice pond... what was your surface bait?

Always heard that a diving rattler is best when its still chilly, something loud and showy to make them shake off the sluggishness and strike.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 08:49 PM 04-05-2015
Busted the kayak out, you werent fooling around eh?

If 21 doesn't top you out, then that's a reeeally nice pond... what was your surface bait?

Always heard that a diving rattler is best when its still chilly, something loud and showy to make them shake off the sluggishness and strike.
In late may Ill throw hollow frogs, jitterbugs, even go old school with hulla poppers. Late afternoon/evening the big fish get aggressive post spawn. Right now water is still pretty cold so very slow plastic crawdads carolina rigged work well.

I have a NuCanoe Frontier that is a kick to fish out of.
[Reply]
Jerm 08:54 PM 04-05-2015
You florida mfers make me absolutely green with envy... some of the very best freshwater fishing in the nation, and that's not even mentioning the ocean fishing.

Catch a bullshark from the beach?... man, what a high, I could literally get high on that.

I've had my eye on Pensacola as a place to live for a little over a year now, could easily see myself there very soon... I WANT that weather, I WANT those fishing and outdoors opportunites and I WANT that "just big enough, but just small enough" beach town vibe.
No shit, my brother in law and I always talk about the fishing down there...sounds amazing. I'd love to get into the tarpon alone.
[Reply]
beach tribe 09:09 PM 04-05-2015

I lived in Pensacola for 8 years.

It's part of one of the best stretches of beach in the world IMO. And I would know.
white quarts sand is the BEST.
You can drive the road on the beach a few miles and be all alone on that MFer too if you so choose.
I miss it, I really do. I miss the small town feel, and how you can cruise the beach from Alabama to Destin, Fl Right on the water with minimal congestion.
This shit down here is a fucking zoo. The population makes it crazy. Luckily the bass are about 20 feet from my back door.
if you do head that way look for a spot in Gulf Breeze. Good neighborhoods in there.
The best fishing is in Orange beach on the FloraBama line, though.
[Reply]
Dunit35 12:05 AM 04-06-2015
Hitting Lake Texoma on Friday with my family. Have a guided striper/catfish trip planned. I haven't caught a catfish in 10+ years.
[Reply]
Page 79 of 221
« First < 29697576777879 8081828389129179 > Last »
Up