ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>A new proposal that would drastically change the NFL’s hiring practices
thabear04 08:51 PM 03-03-2021
https://www.nj.com/sports/2021/03/th...practices.html

The Buffalo Bills are reportedly going to propose a change in hiring practices that could benefit future head coaching and front office candidates, while changing the dynamics of the offseason.

According to Sports Illustrated senior NFL reporter Albert Breer, the Bills have submitted a proposal that would force teams to wait to interview people for head coaching and front office positions until after the AFC and NFC championship games. Breer added the proposal would also force teams to wait until after the Super Bowl to hire the candidate of their choice.

One of the complaints that candidates have had regarding top coaching candidates is that the deeper the teams go into the playoffs, the fewer opportunities they have had to interview.

Each of the seven head coaches that were hired in this offseason accepted jobs before the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, candidates whose teams made it to the championship games, such as Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy and Bills’ offensive coordinator Eric Daboll, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Todd Bowles were shut out of jobs.

Breer said that owners could have the chance to vote on the proposal as soon as this offseason.
[Reply]
rydogg58 08:54 PM 03-03-2021
A change that makes so much sense it will probably get voted down. There's no reason not to do this.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:55 PM 03-03-2021
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
A change that makes so much sense it will probably get voted down. There's no reason not to do this.
Kind of what I was thinking.
[Reply]
wazu 09:02 PM 03-03-2021
This would be a no-brainer if college football didn’t exist. Wonder how/if that plays into the decision.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:35 PM 03-03-2021
The excuse has always been that waiting until after the Super Bowl to hire coaches means that the new coaching staffs, and possibly front office personnel, would be behind the curve in terms of The Combine and draft prep.

In my opinion, that's always been a lame and stupid excuse.

Move The Combine back two or three weeks. No one would care or notice, especially given the fact that the draft doesn't happen until late April/early May, leaving April as mostly a "dead month" in terms of football activities.
[Reply]
oldman 10:33 PM 03-03-2021
I agree with Dane. Move the combine back a couple weeks. Most teams have a pretty good idea who they would like to draft and there's always the pro days.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:34 PM 03-03-2021
I’ve been saying this for years. It makes too much sense.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:03 AM 03-04-2021
The issue isn't only the combine but also the Franchise player designation period, new league year, and workouts that happen from late Feb through early April.

If I were to say I'd agree, I think it would be creating periods and completely revamping the offseason schedule.

It seems that, over time, the SB has been later and later every year. I remember it being the 3rd Sunday in January or thereabouts quite often when I was younger. Then it got pushed to the last Sunday in January, and now it's generally the first Sunday in February. I don't know why it needs to be so late in the year, just start the season a couple of weeks earlier instead.

A sample schedule for 2021 would have been:

Regular Season Start Date - Sep 3
Staff Interview Scheduling Period: Dec 28 to Jan 18
Super Bowl - Jan 31
Staff Interview & Offer Period: Feb 1 to Feb 15
Franchise & Transition Period: Mar 2 to Mar 16
NFL Combine: Mar 18 to Mar 21
League Year and FA Period: Mar 23 to Apr 27
Last Day to Match RFA offer sheets Apr 28
Offseason Workouts: Apr 19
NFL Draft: Apr 30 to May 2

That still puts a alot of pressure on a new staff to adequately address the offseason.

I'm not sure it should be changed, or that it is good for teams looking to make a change.
[Reply]
treeguy27 07:39 AM 03-04-2021
The perennial crappy teams will hate it. They have a built in advantage right now. They probably know by week 14 or 15 if they're going to can their coach. They may not be able to interview candidates at that point, but they're for sure working behind the scenes and asking around about possible coaches. They can have interviews set up the day after the season ends. They also like the current set up because it puts the successful teams at a disadvantage. If the good teams play late into the playoffs and lose a coordinator the pool of potential replacement is already depleted from the early coaching hires.
[Reply]
Dayze 07:48 AM 03-04-2021
how ever this ends up shaking out...I"m sure the NFL will screw it up, since they can't get out of their own way 90% of the time.
[Reply]
TribalElder 08:27 AM 03-04-2021
Great idea and should have already been in place

Also push the Super Bowl to Presidents’ Day weekend so we can all have the following Monday off work
[Reply]
notorious 08:40 AM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Great idea and should have already been in place

Also push the Super Bowl to Presidents’ Day weekend so we can all have the following Monday off work
Who in the hell gets Presidents’ Day off?
[Reply]
penguinz 10:33 AM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
Who in the hell gets Presidents’ Day off?
I do! :-)
[Reply]
KC_Lee 10:48 AM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by penguinz:
I do! :-)
Same here, in fact my company gets the same federal holidays off that the federal government gets off. :-)
[Reply]
loochy 10:57 AM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by rydogg58:

Yeah, because we have a winning team that is consistently playing an extended season. Shitty teams like the Raiders and Chargers and Broncos will NOT support this.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up