ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 106 of 153
« First < 65696102103104105106 107108109110116 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Hammock Parties 08:33 PM 10-04-2018
Jon Favreau is directing this live-action TV series.

Looks TIGHT.

Originally Posted by :
Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun!

After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode.

Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for updates.

[Reply]
Bowser 02:19 PM 12-26-2020
It's awesome they chose not to go full CGI with the show
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:29 AM 12-27-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
It's awesome they chose not to go full CGI with the show
I think it’s an essential ingredient to its success.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:24 AM 12-27-2020

[Reply]
Buehler445 11:37 AM 12-27-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I think it’s an essential ingredient to its success.
Eh, maybe. I think it is a symptom of what makes it successful. I think if we are honest with ourselves, we could rewatch some of it and find scenes/sets that would be better/cleaner with additional CGI.

What makes the thing work is the care they put into it. They care about the story, they care about the characters, they care about fucking Star Wars, man.

If you look at Mando vs the Sequel Trillogy, in Mando they're telling a story. In the ST they're trying to find pieces to fit a pre-determined formula that has to fit with the notes they want to hit. You can tell they had their formula and filled it in (with a bunch of shit). Then they started the next movie with a pile of shit and determined their endpoint and started filling in shit.

I doubt when they started Mando, they were like - WE NEED TO GET HERE [X]. Now how the fuck do we get there? Just like the original Star Wars. They had some characters and told a cool ass story.

But the big thing is they give a shit about the STORY rather than hitting points on a formula. Much more art than corporate production. And the care they put into getting the story right, carries over to the look and feel feeling like Star Wars, the Easter Eggs, tie ins, all of it leads to decisions being made like practical sets. Not necessarily practical sets being reason it works.

FFS there are a lot of notes on the animated series that work.

I mean if this doesn't move the needle for you...

Spoiler!

Bottom line is I think you're mostly right, but it isn't a reason it's successful, its a result of what makes it successful.

Wow, didn't mean to ramble on there. Christ, a direct to streaming series based on a 43 year old movie has me writing long ass posts about how I almost agree with you. I guess that's a sign of what F&F have captured here.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 02:20 PM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Robert Rodriguez Prepped for ‘Mandalorian’ by Directing Boba Fett Home Movie with Action Figures

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/ro...es-1234606827/

:-)
[Reply]
notorious 08:38 PM 12-28-2020
I want to see that short movie with action figures now! :-)
[Reply]
Bowser 01:03 AM 12-30-2020

[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:40 AM 12-30-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

Bottom line is I think you're mostly right, but it isn't a reason it's successful, its a result of what makes it successful.

Wow, didn't mean to ramble on there. Christ, a direct to streaming series based on a 43 year old movie has me writing long ass posts about how I almost agree with you. I guess that's a sign of what F&F have captured here.
:-) great post:-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:06 PM 12-30-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It's really difficult to separate the VFX from the stories because they're so often intertwined.

It wouldn't be as effective to see Din Djarin wrestle with a cardboard cutout covered in fake scales as it is to see him wrestle with an amazing Krayt Dragon created by the VFX team at ILM but I also believe that this production team of Favreau & Filoni would be able to work around any limitations, just as George did with the OT. It's just that the stories would be slightly different.

It won't be long before Practical Effects are somewhere around 10% of what we see, just like On Location shooting has been eliminated due to The Volume. But the most important aspect of Star Wars, or any TV show or film in which VFX are essential to the production, is the story, the actors and the direction.

If those three aspects aren't in place, production companies could spend $500 million on VFX and lose every penny because if people don't care about the characters and their fate, why bother watching?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:57 PM 12-30-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It's really difficult to separate the VFX from the stories because they're so often intertwined.

It wouldn't be as effective to see Din Djarin wrestle with a cardboard cutout covered in fake scales as it is to see him wrestle with an amazing Krayt Dragon created by the VFX team at ILM but I also believe that this production team of Favreau & Filoni would be able to work around any limitations, just as George did with the OT. It's just that the stories would be slightly different.

It won't be long before Practical Effects are somewhere around 10% of what we see, just like On Location shooting has been eliminated due to The Volume. But the most important aspect of Star Wars, or any TV show or film in which VFX are essential to the production, is the story, the actors and the direction.

If those three aspects aren't in place, production companies could spend $500 million on VFX and lose every penny because if people don't care about the characters and their fate, why bother watching?
The VFX is essential to fight the dragon in the story. No other way to do that. But, its the characters that made Mandolorian a hit with some assist in the beginning of a baby yoda showing up.

Cantina scenes don't need CGI generated patrons. The officer mess in chapter 15 doesn't need CGI besides the laser fire. Bottom line, if you can do it credibly, don't use CGI. Save it to make stuff thats not possible without CGI to push the story along.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:39 PM 12-30-2020
#ThankYouJonAndDave is trending on Twitter.

Sometimes the greatest gifts are the most unexpected and something you never realized you wanted until it was given.#ThankYouJonAndDave �� pic.twitter.com/4nNjSvbvIN

— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) December 30, 2020

[Reply]
Mennonite 04:57 PM 12-31-2020
I'm four episodes in. It's ok. The first three episodes feel like a generic western script broken into three parts. Episode 4 is your standard A-Team/Magnificent 7/7 Samurai plot. The cliched "character is about to be assassinated but is saved at the minute by a shot from off camera" bit has been used twice in three episodes.

Does the writing ever get more sophisticated?
[Reply]
Frazod 05:02 PM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I'm four episodes in. It's ok. The first three episodes feel like a generic western script broken into three parts. Episode 4 is your standard A-Team/Magnificent 7/7 Samurai plot. The cliched "character is about to be assassinated but is saved at the minute by a shot from off camera" bit has been used twice in three episodes.

It's Star Wars, not Shakespeare.

And when they try sophisticated, we end up with shit like Phantom Menace and Last Jedi.
[Reply]
Mennonite 05:08 PM 12-31-2020
Well, that's disappointing. I suppose we'll stop where we're at then.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 05:12 PM 12-31-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:

Sophisticated? Is it supposed to be? It's a lone gunslinger space western with a Baby Yoda.
[Reply]
Page 106 of 153
« First < 65696102103104105106 107108109110116 > Last »
Up