ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 19
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Great Whisky (Whiskey) Thread!
Ming the Merciless 03:43 PM 09-16-2014

If this already exists, feel free to put a link to the proper thread...I searched and found a bourbon thread but alas , no whiskey thread which makes me think my search-fu failed....

But, in case there is not already a whiskey thread:

This thread shall be dedicated to all types of Whiskey.

I will try to make some sort of index up here, as more information is added.

*This is a work in progress...

Whisky / Whiskey
"A type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash"
Each of the subcategories will be defined and include recommendations at different rough price points. Please feel free to post up a recommendation and I will try to get a rough price estimate....

Scotch

Map of Scotch Regions
Spoiler!
There are very strict rules as to which whiskies can be called Scotch. To be called scotch firstly and foremost, the whisky must be made in Scotland. Second, it must be made according to a manner prescribed in detail, by Scottish law. For more see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Single Malt Scotch

To be a "single malt scotch" the whisky must be a "scotch" (duh!) and ALSO be made of ' only water & malted barley at a SINGLE distillery via batch distillation' (see here: LINK)

Blended Scotch

Must be a scotch (see above)..but: Most whisky is blended. It is easier and cheaper to make better tasting whisky than if you attempt the difficult talk of making a single malt. Master blenders do tastings and come up with blends of many different whiskys to achieve a result that they feel is desirable.

Bourbon

Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "Bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits.[3][4] (Wikipedia)

American Rye Whisky

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually corn and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in charred, new oak barrels. The whiskey must be put into such barrels at not more than 125 proof (62.5% abv). Rye whiskey that has been so aged for at least two years and has not been blended with other spirits may be further designated as "straight", as in "straight rye whiskey".[1]

Irish Whiskey

Most Irish pot still whiskey is distilled thrice, while most (but not all) Scotch whisky is distilled twice. Peat is rarely used in the malting process, so that Irish whiskey has a smoother finish as opposed to the smoky, earthy overtones common to some Scotches. There are notable exceptions to these rules in both countries! (Some Irish whiskeys use peat, many Scotches do not)

Japanese Whiskey

Japanese Whiskey production first began around 1870. They started out by trying to emulate Scotch Whisky. Areas of Hokkaido are known to have climates similar to Scotland, and the difficulties of single malt production make it such that mainly Japanese whisky is blended.

[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 02:45 PM 04-05-2015
Last week I bought my first bottle of Scotch ( at my local small pkg store). I bought Chivas Regal 12 and I don't like it very much. Ive tried neat, splash of water, ice. I'm considering mixing something in and just getting thorough the bottle...to make a wiser decision next time.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 02:49 PM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin:
Last week I bought my first bottle of Scotch ( at my local small pkg store). I bought Chivas Regal 12 and I don't like it very much. Ive tried neat, splash of water, ice. I'm considering mixing something in and just getting thorough the bottle...to make a wiser decision next time.
I cant drink scotch. Its like diesel to me
[Reply]
Indian Chief 03:36 PM 04-06-2015
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
If anyone happens to come to bum F* egypt northern california and visit, this is where I will take you to have a whisky and a beer:
One day I will have to take you up on that. Also, regarding my recommendation of the Ardmore Traditional, it has come to my attention that they have replaced it this year with something slightly different. Everything I have read agrees that it is not the same quality/taste (I think they called it Ardmore Legacy). You want the traditional.
[Reply]
Aries Walker 04:19 PM 04-06-2015
Now, here's a topic I can get into. Whiskey is Henry VIII's finest contribution to mankind. Thanks, fatso.

My best recommendation ever is Knappogue Castle. It's an Irish single malt, light and sweet, just a little bit spicy, and in that $20-25 price range where it's not Obviously Cheap but hasn't hit that Stupid Crazy level of priciness either. It's my faraway favorite.
[Reply]
KC Dan 04:50 PM 04-06-2015
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
If you haven't tried some of the whiskey coming out of Texas, you are doing yourself a disservice. My favorite is from Ranger Creek, their 36 caliber Texas bourbon.

Snagged some of this for St Paddy's day.

Shared a bottle of this that I bought at the Jamison factory in Middleton, County Cork last month with my co-worker and his Irish father-in-law. He lives in Monkstown. Damn good!!! Still love the Redbreast 12 a little more but damn good. The old guy also shared some of his local moonshine - good gawd - it would take the paint off any surface in seconds...
[Reply]
Indian Chief 12:40 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by KC Dan:
Shared a bottle of this that I bought at the Jamison factory in Middleton, County Cork last month with my co-worker and his Irish father-in-law. He lives in Monkstown. Damn good!!! Still love the Redbreast 12 a little more but damn good. The old guy also shared some of his local moonshine - good gawd - it would take the paint off any surface in seconds...
Glad to get a firsthand account and comparison. Green Spot and Redbreast 12 are both on my to do list. By me GS is $40ish and the Redbreast is $55+ so I was on the fence about a blind purchase.
[Reply]
Amnorix 12:55 PM 04-07-2015
I really REALLY like certain whiskeys and I cant stand others...I never really knew how much I liked whiskey until I found two things:

1) The right kind of whiskey for my tastes

2) The right way to drink it

For me, I like lighter single-malt Scotches - generally of the "Speyside" region....

My go-to Is Glenlivet 12 year old (cheap and decent) but I like to splurge on 18/21 on occasion.

I would love to branch out and try more Speysides to get a couple more 'daily drivers' in my stable...

Oh also, I find that I like mine on the rocks with just a TINY bit of water.

What say you??

How do you like your whisky? WHat are your favorites?
I **love** scotch. I can't tell you a damn thing about wine, and I'm one of the rare few that hate beer, but scotch, bring it on!

Glenlivet is my go to for a "cheaper" (it's not that cheap) Scotch. If I'm willing to spring for more, then I like these which are generally Highlands:

Oban 14

Macallan 12 (I have tried Macallan 15 and 18, and didn't think they were any better so I would never spend the money)

Glenmorangie 12 (just a hint of being spicy)
[Reply]
Amnorix 12:56 PM 04-07-2015
That could very well be true... a full 16 oz of of good whiskey, and then I probably wouldnt care all that much what I drank after...

But I cannot stand the really smokey or 'peaty' Scotches like some of the Highlands....maybe I just havent found the right ones, but I don't think i could pound 16 oz of that.

I think the really smoky/peaty scotches I've had were all Islay, not Highlands. God they were awful. Laphroaig was undrinkable to me, though it had come highly recommended.
[Reply]
Amnorix 01:01 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by NewChief:
I wouldn't add water. Seriously (unless you're drinking neat and just adding a couple of drops to wake it up).

Temper the speed at which you drink it. Slow. Slow. Slow. Tiny sips. Be in the right frame of mind and place for drinking it (I suggest a table with one other person in a darkly lit bar/restaurant perhaps after a nice, intimate dinner or sitting at home next to a fireplace with a book). One drink, when you first start drinking islay scotches, might take you 30 minutes to an hour to drink (I wish they still did for me). They're intense and can create an atmosphere unto themselves.

Once you acquire the taste, though... it's dangerous.

Islay is like mixing cigar ashes directly into your scotch and then draining it through a filter prior to drinking.

Absolutely undrinkable. Can't even fathom how people like it (though I have some friends that do).
[Reply]
penguinz 02:16 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
I **love** scotch. I can't tell you a damn thing about wine, and I'm one of the rare few that hate beer, but scotch, bring it on!
I can not stand beer either. But I am a bourbon guy not scotch.
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:18 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by srvy:
The Flavor Map
Its a pretty good guide for the taste you are seeking.

I like this. I'm more or less in the lower right for the most part. Need to use this to help me try some new ones!
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:21 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Ditto. Started drinking single malts around 2000, but they have become very expensive. I now have to save up for a special bottle once or twice a year and drink them infrequently to make them last longer.

In the past 3-4 years I've switched to bourbon as my everyday pour with my cigars, as they are one-fourth to one-half the price of single malts. They're not as complex as most of my single malts, but they're good and smooth and go well with the smokes.

There's really not that much I need/want, so my wife is very nice to me on my birthday and Christmas time with the scotch.
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:22 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by Aspengc8:
Tomatin 15yr and Balvenie Carribean Cask. Both under $60 and very good.

I had the Tomatin 18 and thought it was excellent. It has a little bite to it.

I then tried the 12 and thought it was crap. Never even seen the 15 anywhere.
[Reply]
KC native 02:26 PM 04-07-2015
I'm more of a beer drinker, but this stuff was excellent for a $35 bottle. I will be buying another after I finish the one I have.

[Reply]
Amnorix 02:32 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by penguinz:
I can not stand beer either. But I am a bourbon guy not scotch.

I'm not sure what it is. I think if you don't get used to drinking beer at age 16 somewhere, then you probably will never like it. :-)
[Reply]
Page 9 of 19
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up