ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 19
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Great Whisky (Whiskey) Thread!
Ming the Merciless 03:43 PM 09-16-2014

If this already exists, feel free to put a link to the proper thread...I searched and found a bourbon thread but alas , no whiskey thread which makes me think my search-fu failed....

But, in case there is not already a whiskey thread:

This thread shall be dedicated to all types of Whiskey.

I will try to make some sort of index up here, as more information is added.

*This is a work in progress...

Whisky / Whiskey
"A type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash"
Each of the subcategories will be defined and include recommendations at different rough price points. Please feel free to post up a recommendation and I will try to get a rough price estimate....

Scotch

Map of Scotch Regions
Spoiler!
There are very strict rules as to which whiskies can be called Scotch. To be called scotch firstly and foremost, the whisky must be made in Scotland. Second, it must be made according to a manner prescribed in detail, by Scottish law. For more see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Single Malt Scotch

To be a "single malt scotch" the whisky must be a "scotch" (duh!) and ALSO be made of ' only water & malted barley at a SINGLE distillery via batch distillation' (see here: LINK)

Blended Scotch

Must be a scotch (see above)..but: Most whisky is blended. It is easier and cheaper to make better tasting whisky than if you attempt the difficult talk of making a single malt. Master blenders do tastings and come up with blends of many different whiskys to achieve a result that they feel is desirable.

Bourbon

Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "Bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits.[3][4] (Wikipedia)

American Rye Whisky

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually corn and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in charred, new oak barrels. The whiskey must be put into such barrels at not more than 125 proof (62.5% abv). Rye whiskey that has been so aged for at least two years and has not been blended with other spirits may be further designated as "straight", as in "straight rye whiskey".[1]

Irish Whiskey

Most Irish pot still whiskey is distilled thrice, while most (but not all) Scotch whisky is distilled twice. Peat is rarely used in the malting process, so that Irish whiskey has a smoother finish as opposed to the smoky, earthy overtones common to some Scotches. There are notable exceptions to these rules in both countries! (Some Irish whiskeys use peat, many Scotches do not)

Japanese Whiskey

Japanese Whiskey production first began around 1870. They started out by trying to emulate Scotch Whisky. Areas of Hokkaido are known to have climates similar to Scotland, and the difficulties of single malt production make it such that mainly Japanese whisky is blended.

[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 06:58 PM 10-15-2014
I have trouble w/memory since I had a stroke some years ago, so some of this may be repeated - well, here it comes again.

For Bourbon, the best buy I know these days is W.L. Weller 12 year. Pappy Van Winkle ran the Weller distillery years ago, and the fellow who bottles Pappy and other Van Winkle bourbon was using 'prime' bottles of Weller for many years. I'm sure they've used that old stock up and they're bottling other whusk now - nevertheless, Weller 12 year is a great balance of price/quality. It's a 'wheater' bourbon (they use a lot of wheat in the mash instead of all corn/rye) and I happen to like those - YMMV - but it's good whusk.
The bourbon market has changed a lot in 20 years, stuff I'd have recommended years ago is no longer marketed by the old name - there's a lot of 'bottle A' now sold as 'bottle B' for twice the price - with just a nicer label, the same juice in the same glassware. Hence my recco for Weller 12 - if you can find it.
I happen to like the flavor profile of Wild Turkey. Unlike the 'wheater' above, it's a rye heavy bourbon. Their 'better' labels can get pretty spendy for not a ton of improvement to MY tastebuds, I've tried most of their spendy stuff over the years. I still buy WT 101 and I buy Wild Turkey Rare Breed. The Rare Breed is a little higher in proof - and I really like the taste. Buy it @ Costco if you can, best price I've found on it day in, day out.
A lot of bourbon ownership has changed in 20 years. That doesn't mean the whusk has changed all that much, most of the new owners have had the good sense to let things go along as they were before, if anything they're just upgrading the marketing appeal (fancier bottles & labels, same bourbon inside). But the folks who own Buffalo Trace should be mentioned here - they've swapped a lot of non-bourbon stuff around and wound up owning almost all the good bourbon labels I like besides the Wild Turkey line. They've improved the juice in the low-end products they bought (stuff like Rebel Yell) while maintaining good quality in their higher end stuff. They sell very little whiskey that I don't like - that's saying something.
Bourbon has become a lot more fashionable than it was in the 70's when I started drinking this stuff. It used to be a drink for old men and rough necks, then the marketing guys came up w/the idea of 'single barrel' and other higher end releases - next thing you know the 'good' whiskey got better (and spendier) the 'decent' whiskey had fewer gems hidden in there - that stuff got diverted to the good whiskey top shelf. That's ok. I stockpiled quite a bit of the stuff I like back when it was cheaper, with bad luck it'll outlast me and there'll be a big party when I kick the proverbial bucket. With good luck I'll drink it all first, and all y'all can buy your own.
[Reply]
TheUte 09:26 PM 10-26-2014
I was in SF a little bit ago, while I was there I had Baterhouse Bourbon.

Man I love it, cant find it anywhere.

Anybody ever had it?
[Reply]
Cornstock 10:57 PM 10-26-2014
I picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 a while back on sale. I'm saving it for a special occasion. Not a huge whiskey guy but I've been working on acquiring a taste for it. Love me a rusty nail at this point.

Any recommendations for something a bit lower priced that I can "practice" with before I break into the Lagavulin? I just want to be able to appreciate it fully.
[Reply]
cdcox 11:07 PM 10-26-2014
In order of increasing price:

Bowmore Legend (similar peatiness, but less complex)
Laphroaig 10 (peaty and complex, but the iodine and phenolics can be off-putting to the uninitiated. You could hate Laphroaig and still love the Lagavulin.)
Highland 12 (not as peaty as the the other two, more complex than Bowmore, and not as phenolic as Laphroaig. A very well balanced Islay.)
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 11:10 PM 10-26-2014
Originally Posted by Cornstock:
I picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 a while back on sale. I'm saving it for a special occasion. Not a huge whiskey guy but I've been working on acquiring a taste for it. Love me a rusty nail at this point.

Any recommendations for something a bit lower priced that I can "practice" with before I break into the Lagavulin? I just want to be able to appreciate it fully.

From what I understand lagavulin 16 is an Islay about 60$ a bottle. $55 at Costco, here.

It's going to be peaty and Smokey....and rich....

I'm not super up on Islay scorched to recommend one, but if you're working your way up..and want something with no peat, glenlivet 12 is really drinkable and a good starter. It's a speyside though. I like mine with ice, but no added water. After the ice starts melting.....man is it good. And closer to 30$ so very affordable.

I'm looking for a lightly peated entry level bottle too....I just like my scotch without peat so far.

I know others will disagree...but try some with & without to see what your preference is.
[Reply]
KCFANinNC 01:34 PM 10-27-2014
Reddit also is a good resource /bourbon and /scotch

I am a big bourbon fan.

Best budget ones IMO are EW 1783 and Old Grandad BIB.

There are plenty of good ones in the $30 range, Eagle Rare is an example.
[Reply]
srvy 06:30 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by KCFANinNC:
Reddit also is a good resource /bourbon and /scotch

I am a big bourbon fan.

Best budget ones IMO are EW 1783 and Old Grandad BIB.

There are plenty of good ones in the $30 range, Eagle Rare is an example.
:-)

I remember Playboy magazine long while back an ad for the Grandad Bottled in Bond.
"When the ladies go to bed the Gentleman bring out the Grandad."

Have had a bottle around every since. Was a tradition with my Dad after the days hunt to toast the days harvest with a finger or 2 of the Old Grandad.
Evan Williams 1783 I have sung its praises for quality and cost many times here.
[Reply]
KCFANinNC 01:26 PM 10-28-2014
Wild Turkey 101 is a good one.

And closer to the $25 range Rittenhouse Rye is very good stuff.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 01:40 PM 10-28-2014
Originally Posted by cdcox:
In order of increasing price:

Bowmore Legend (similar peatiness, but less complex)
Laphroaig 10 (peaty and complex, but the iodine and phenolics can be off-putting to the uninitiated. You could hate Laphroaig and still love the Lagavulin.)
Highland 12 (not as peaty as the the other two, more complex than Bowmore, and not as phenolic as Laphroaig. A very well balanced Islay.)
Jeeeezuz, you like the ubergreen Scotch! Laphroaig 10 tastes like a damn band aid that's been sitting next to a campfire. I love watching non-Scotch drinkers try that one.

My favorite green Scotch = Talisker 18. Unfortunately it is difficult to find and the price has sky-rocketed.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 10-28-2014, 01:46 PM
This message has been deleted by BIG_DADDY. Reason: Wrong bottle
BIG_DADDY 01:50 PM 10-28-2014
Be sipping on this for the game
Attached: Pendleton 1910.jpg (24.2 KB) 
[Reply]
NewChief 02:50 PM 10-28-2014
As a big fan of peaty, smokey islay scotches, I've been watching to try this out:

Triple Smoke by Corsair Distillery
Originally Posted by :
WE TAKE THREE FRACTIONS OF MALTED BARLEY, EACH SMOKED BY A DIFFERENT FUEL – CHERRY WOOD, PEAT, AND BEECHWOOD – TO CRAFT THIS DEEPLY COMPLEX WHISKEY. POT DISTILLED THEN BARRELED IN NEW CHARRED OAK, TRIPLE SMOKE HAS THE SWEETNESS AND BARREL NOTES OF AN AMERICAN WHISKEY AND A SINGLE MALT’S RICH SMOKE, BROADENED BY TONES OF CHERRY AND BEECH. EXCELLENT MIXED OR NEAT.

[Reply]
Gonzo 03:52 PM 10-28-2014
There was a time not too long ago that I was a single malt scotch guy and that's all I would drink. My favorite was Glenlivet 18.
I ordered a glass at the bar one night last year and apparently the owner thought he could get away with mixing it with some blended shit. It tasted like paint thinner.
I thought maybe I was getting sick or something so my taste buds were fubar. I choked it down and left. The next time I tried my bottle at home, all I could taste was that shit I got at the bar. Been a burbon drinker ever since.
I really like the billet, knob and makers mark, (my personal fave) the best.
I don't like rye much. Tried Bird Dog the other day and it's a little strong but not bad.
[Reply]
Iowanian 03:56 PM 10-28-2014
I'm not a booze snob, but I can't really do Scotch.

My go-2 would be Crown, Makers Mark and Templeton Rye.
[Reply]
cdcox 09:05 PM 03-27-2015
I brought home a bottle of Ardbeg 10 year tonight. Yowza! I think it is even more challenging than Laphroaig. Ardbeg is less viscous, more nuanced and complex nose comapred to the smokiness of Laphroaig. Both are nicely medicinal and phenolic on the palate.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 09:28 PM 03-27-2015

[Reply]
Page 6 of 19
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up