ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 19
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Great Whisky (Whiskey) Thread!
Ming the Merciless 03:43 PM 09-16-2014

If this already exists, feel free to put a link to the proper thread...I searched and found a bourbon thread but alas , no whiskey thread which makes me think my search-fu failed....

But, in case there is not already a whiskey thread:

This thread shall be dedicated to all types of Whiskey.

I will try to make some sort of index up here, as more information is added.

*This is a work in progress...

Whisky / Whiskey
"A type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash"
Each of the subcategories will be defined and include recommendations at different rough price points. Please feel free to post up a recommendation and I will try to get a rough price estimate....

Scotch

Map of Scotch Regions
Spoiler!
There are very strict rules as to which whiskies can be called Scotch. To be called scotch firstly and foremost, the whisky must be made in Scotland. Second, it must be made according to a manner prescribed in detail, by Scottish law. For more see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Single Malt Scotch

To be a "single malt scotch" the whisky must be a "scotch" (duh!) and ALSO be made of ' only water & malted barley at a SINGLE distillery via batch distillation' (see here: LINK)

Blended Scotch

Must be a scotch (see above)..but: Most whisky is blended. It is easier and cheaper to make better tasting whisky than if you attempt the difficult talk of making a single malt. Master blenders do tastings and come up with blends of many different whiskys to achieve a result that they feel is desirable.

Bourbon

Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "Bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits.[3][4] (Wikipedia)

American Rye Whisky

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually corn and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in charred, new oak barrels. The whiskey must be put into such barrels at not more than 125 proof (62.5% abv). Rye whiskey that has been so aged for at least two years and has not been blended with other spirits may be further designated as "straight", as in "straight rye whiskey".[1]

Irish Whiskey

Most Irish pot still whiskey is distilled thrice, while most (but not all) Scotch whisky is distilled twice. Peat is rarely used in the malting process, so that Irish whiskey has a smoother finish as opposed to the smoky, earthy overtones common to some Scotches. There are notable exceptions to these rules in both countries! (Some Irish whiskeys use peat, many Scotches do not)

Japanese Whiskey

Japanese Whiskey production first began around 1870. They started out by trying to emulate Scotch Whisky. Areas of Hokkaido are known to have climates similar to Scotland, and the difficulties of single malt production make it such that mainly Japanese whisky is blended.

[Reply]
Bwana 02:01 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan:
I like Scotch - I'm mostly a bourbon man these days. I like Talisker & Highland Park and any of the 'rarer' J Walker blends if you're buying but it doesn't have to be a single malt to suit me, I love JW Black and my more or less daily pour is the 'Black Bottle' - an Islay blend that's worth looking for.
I learned to drink Scotch back in the 70's when blends were about all the bartender had on hand. My old favorite from those days was Teacher's Highland Cream. It's gone thru a few changes since then (all those 'single malts' used to be blended up into these good older blends, until they got to be too desirable and sold on their own - the old blends lost some magic, I'm sorry to say).
But if you're looking to make my favorite Scotch cocktail, try a big pour of Teacher's or your fave w/a smaller pour of Drambuie (1 part Drambuie to 3 parts scotch) This is a Rusty Nail, one of Humphrey Bogart's favorites - and mine. It's always tied up w/'end of a hunting day' in my mind - once the guns are cleaned and put away, you pour a Rusty Nail.

If you like a Manhattan, make one w/blended scotch instead of bourbon for a Rob Roy, if my memory serves (my memory sucks these days)

If you'd like to try a good alternative to Scotch or Bourbon - try a glass of good Irish whiskey. I like Bushmill's 'Black label' - a great, older blend. There are fancier bottles, but you'll never go wrong w/the 'Black Bush'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bottle

http://http://www.teacherswhisky.com/default.aspx?ReturnURL=/our-whisky/teachers-highland-cream/default.aspx

http://www.bushmills.com/
I knew you would have some quality input, well played sir.
[Reply]
Aspengc8 02:02 PM 09-17-2014
Tomatin 15yr and Balvenie Carribean Cask. Both under $60 and very good.
[Reply]
Toadkiller 02:20 PM 09-17-2014
I love Lagavulin. Love how the peat/smoke kicks you in the nuts.
Also give Dry Fly a try, out of Washington, lovely stuff.
[Reply]
Reaper16 03:26 PM 09-17-2014
I drink a fair amount of bourbon, usually sticking to bottles that offer a great quality-to-price ratio, like Eagle Rare or Four Roses Small Batch. I splurge in bars on special occasions; a neighborhood bar right near me in Philly has an incredibly deep bourbon selection (including various Pappys, Willets, and A.H. Hirsch) that will steal away my paycheck if I let it.

I have not explored Scotch nearly to the extent that I want to someday. I need a Scotch-loving friend to introduce me to some brands at his cost, heh. I do enjoy peaty-ass Laphroaig, but I might like less-peaty regions better than Islay. Won't know until I try.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 03:34 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
I have not explored Scotch nearly to the extent that I want to someday. I need a Scotch-loving friend to introduce me to some brands at his cost, heh. I do enjoy peaty-ass Laphroaig, but I might like less-peaty regions better than Islay. Won't know until I try.
I whole heartedly recommend Glenlivet 12 as a very inexpensive non-peaty 'test driver' (speyside single-malt)

You should be able to get a bottle for less than 40..maybe 30ish?

Then the 15 or 18 I think are going to be more rich and still not peaty....

I have seen really good deals on 15 at 'beverages and more' and places like that.... (maybe 40-50ish?)

I think the 18 should be able to be had for around 60-65 if you catch some kind of deal, maybe 75ish regular price (to me it is wonderful!)

But for the bang for the buck I really like the 12 (on the rocks) ...I havent found anything I like better (in that low $30 range) but there are some close ones...
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:55 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:

Ardmore Traditional
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte
Caol Ila 12 year
Dalmore 12 year
Dalmore 15 year
Lagavulin 12 year DE
Lagavulin 16 Year
Laphroaig 10 year
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Oban 14 Year
Talisker Storm

Edit: That was ridiculously long for a first post. Apologies.
I love me some Lagavulin.
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 04:09 PM 09-17-2014
Im a craft beer enthusiast. Ive yet to develop a palate for spirits. Perhaps once a year ill do boilermakers. For that it's Jameson's.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 04:14 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin:
Im a craft beer enthusiast. Ive yet to develop a palate for spirits. Perhaps once a year ill do boilermakers. For that it's Jameson's.
Actually jamesons is a very enjoyable spirit on its own....on the rocks after it melts a little...I could sip one right now ..good stuff

8-)

Its just that for around the same price you can get get a little better IMO (aforementioned glenlivet 12 being better IMO....)

Next time you go for some Jamesons, try a glenlivet 12...and this is coming from a guy who is like 50% Irish
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 04:19 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
Actually jamesons is a very enjoyable spirit on its own....on the rocks after it melts a little...I could sip one right now ..good stuff

8-)

Its just that for around the same price you can get get a little better IMO (aforementioned glenlivet 12 being better IMO....)

Next time you go for some Jamesons, try a glenlivet 12...and this is coming from a guy who is like 50% Irish
Noted.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 04:22 PM 09-17-2014
Also I am hoping to edit the OP so we can get some other recommendations at the different price points..

I'm sure theres lots of $30 options, and dont get me wrong...I will drink Jameson and smile
[Reply]
bdj23 04:24 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:

8-)

My brother got my a bottle of Jameson 18 year for Christmas a few years ago.

We drank the entire bottle that evening. Great stuff.
[Reply]
Graystoke 07:05 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by srvy:
Isn't the distillery still in Iowa? Im not a huge fan of Rye Whiskey but that one is good. If you want rye whiskey face get ya some Old Grand Dad 100 proof.
It used to be.
However it was a very coveted Rye Whiskey and they flooded the market.
Templeton Rye refers to rye whiskey originally made in Templeton, Iowa during the prohibition era as a way for farmers in the Carroll County area to supplement their income.[1] Amber in color, it was considered to be of particularly high quality and was popular in Chicago, Omaha, and Kansas City speakeasies.[2] It was said to be the mobster Al Capone's drink of choice.[3] More recently "Templeton Rye" has been introduced as a brand of whiskey that its producer claims is based on a prohibition-era recipe. Distribution outside of Iowa began in August 2007.[4] Templeton Rye is distilled and aged at Lawrenceburg Distillers[5] in Lawrenceburg, Indiana and is shipped to Iowa by tanker truck. It is then bottled at an Iowa facility. Lawrenceburg Distillers is a wholly owned subsidiary of MGP Ingredients,[6] a corporation headquartered in Atchison, Kansas.

Like I said I think I burned out on that "Whiskey Faced Rye"
For a serious Iowa Bourbon it is impossible to beat Cedar Ridge.
I love it neat.

[Reply]
kepp 08:23 AM 09-18-2014
I'm not a hard liquor drinker at all, but while travelling this past summer I had the chance to try some high-priced Scotch that was being sold in the Taipei airport (duty free shops). I believe it was called Glenfiddich. They had several different bottles open giving out free samples. I started with the lower priced bottle, but after a few I asked to try the highest priced bottle they had open. I don't remember the particulars, but they wanted over $200 for it (of course, it was in a airport). The first few I tried burned a bit going down, but that last one didn't burn at all. It was really smooth.
[Reply]
cdcox 07:59 PM 09-20-2014
Bowmore Legend is a very good entry point into the peaty Islay single malts at round $30 (used to be able to get it for $20).

Highland Park 12 yr and Laphroaig 10 yr are very different but both remarkable at the the next price point, about $10 north.

I love Talisker and Lagavulin but not enough to indulge very often.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:40 PM 09-20-2014
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
I never post, just lurk, but I felt inspired to chime in on this one. I acquired a taste for Scotch a few years back and my wallet certainly regrets it. But I have sampled quite a few different offerings and have a decently well rounded bit of knowledge.

Based on what you've said about your tastes, I would recommend two in particular. One is the Balvenie 12 DoubleWood, and the other is Cragganmore 12. Both are Speysides with a rich flavor. I personally find the DoubleWood to be the best Balvenie and that includes their much more expensive offerings.

Personally, I love Islay whiskeys. I even go nuts for Octomore which I do not recommend unless you really want a heavy peat flavor. One that I would recommend you try is Bruichladdich's Laddie Ten. It has a great flavor profile, but not an overwhelming smoke or peat flavor. It would be the one I would suggest to anyone wanting to try an Islay, but who is on the fence about that style. Another choice in the same boat is Talisker's Amoroso Cask Distillers Edition. The only issue is the Talisker is about $80+ a bottle (by me -- NJ) and the Laddie Ten can be had for under $50 (think I paid $46 last time).

As far as something more American, High West did a small batch distillation called Campfire. It is a blend of rye, bourbon, and an Islay. Sounds bizarre, at least I thought so when I read the label, but it is absolutely delicious.

This is probably one of the few topics I love to talk about because there is so much out there and I'm always interested in trying something new.

The following is a list of some other Scotches (not already mentioned) that I stock regularly at home. Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions if you think I might like something else.

Ardmore Traditional
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte
Caol Ila 12 year
Dalmore 12 year
Dalmore 15 year
Lagavulin 12 year DE
Lagavulin 16 Year
Laphroaig 10 year
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Oban 14 Year
Talisker Storm

Edit: That was ridiculously long for a first post. Apologies.
That's a damn fine first post...
[Reply]
Page 5 of 19
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up