ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 19
« First < 91516171819
Nzoner's Game Room>The Great Whisky (Whiskey) Thread!
Ming the Merciless 03:43 PM 09-16-2014

If this already exists, feel free to put a link to the proper thread...I searched and found a bourbon thread but alas , no whiskey thread which makes me think my search-fu failed....

But, in case there is not already a whiskey thread:

This thread shall be dedicated to all types of Whiskey.

I will try to make some sort of index up here, as more information is added.

*This is a work in progress...

Whisky / Whiskey
"A type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash"
Each of the subcategories will be defined and include recommendations at different rough price points. Please feel free to post up a recommendation and I will try to get a rough price estimate....

Scotch

Map of Scotch Regions
Spoiler!
There are very strict rules as to which whiskies can be called Scotch. To be called scotch firstly and foremost, the whisky must be made in Scotland. Second, it must be made according to a manner prescribed in detail, by Scottish law. For more see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Single Malt Scotch

To be a "single malt scotch" the whisky must be a "scotch" (duh!) and ALSO be made of ' only water & malted barley at a SINGLE distillery via batch distillation' (see here: LINK)

Blended Scotch

Must be a scotch (see above)..but: Most whisky is blended. It is easier and cheaper to make better tasting whisky than if you attempt the difficult talk of making a single malt. Master blenders do tastings and come up with blends of many different whiskys to achieve a result that they feel is desirable.

Bourbon

Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "Bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits.[3][4] (Wikipedia)

American Rye Whisky

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually corn and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in charred, new oak barrels. The whiskey must be put into such barrels at not more than 125 proof (62.5% abv). Rye whiskey that has been so aged for at least two years and has not been blended with other spirits may be further designated as "straight", as in "straight rye whiskey".[1]

Irish Whiskey

Most Irish pot still whiskey is distilled thrice, while most (but not all) Scotch whisky is distilled twice. Peat is rarely used in the malting process, so that Irish whiskey has a smoother finish as opposed to the smoky, earthy overtones common to some Scotches. There are notable exceptions to these rules in both countries! (Some Irish whiskeys use peat, many Scotches do not)

Japanese Whiskey

Japanese Whiskey production first began around 1870. They started out by trying to emulate Scotch Whisky. Areas of Hokkaido are known to have climates similar to Scotland, and the difficulties of single malt production make it such that mainly Japanese whisky is blended.

[Reply]
Hoover 08:46 PM 03-03-2021

[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 08:51 PM 03-03-2021
Originally Posted by crispystl:
It's little higher proof than Jameson too.
If you like Glenlivet you should try Glenfiddich..it's about the same price but better. It's amazing actually.
I completely 100% agree. my go-to / daily driver / everything whisky is glenfiddich 12.

for the price , its hard to beat. thats why I was pretty surprised how much I enjoyed teeling
[Reply]
Lilmrp117 08:53 PM 03-03-2021
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
Added a section on Japanese whisky. I had some the other day, not too shabby actually....I'll try to add more. Sorry I let this thread go dead...I have actually been on a huge whisky kick lately and have some more things to add soon.

Here is one of the most recent things I have been drinking:

If you havent had it, Teeling is VERY good for the price. Ive been able to get it around 30-40$ which

isnt all that much more than like Jameson. Ive been enjoying it on the rocks or with a little bitters or as an old fashioned or even with a splash of gingerale

If you like the small batch, you should try he Teeling single malt. It's much better, but he again it's more expensive, around $55 my area.

[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 08:57 PM 03-03-2021
Originally Posted by Lilmrp117:
If you like the small batch, you should try he Teeling single malt. It's much better, but he again it's more expensive, around $55 my area.

awesome! you know...after drinking the small batch for about 30ish$ , I think I just might have to pony up 55$ for that. I'll have to see if I've got access to that at my local shoppe. thanks for the idea. I deserve a treat!
[Reply]
Lilmrp117 10:11 PM 03-03-2021
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
awesome! you know...after drinking the small batch for about 30ish$ , I think I just might have to pony up 55$ for that. I'll have to see if I've got access to that at my local shoppe. thanks for the idea. I deserve a treat!
I received a Teeling tasting set for Christmas. It has single grain, small batch and single malt so I tasted them all side by side. Single malt was my favorite one by far. Small batch is good though.
[Reply]
eDave 12:21 PM 03-04-2021
US-UK trade truce means cheaper whisky for Americans

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/intl_...uce/index.html
[Reply]
Mahomes_Is_God 02:09 PM 03-04-2021
Black Velvet is all I can afford to drink. I actually prefer it to some of the more expensive ones like Crown Royal and Makers Mark. Jack Daniels is probably my favorite.
[Reply]
phisherman 02:21 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
US-UK trade truce means cheaper whisky for Americans

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/intl_...uce/index.html
I read that this morning too. I'm not sure how much single malt prices will come back down, at least in the foreseeable future, but maybe it will stem the uptick in prices of the last few years.
[Reply]
scho63 03:02 PM 03-04-2021
I got hooked on Oban 14 when it was $65 a bottle. Now it's $100. A little too rich for my blood.
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:07 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
I got hooked on Oban 14 when it was $65 a bottle. Now it's $100. A little too rich for my blood.
Dalwhinnie 15yr used to be $45 a bottle all day where I live and now its $75-$90.

Around 5 years ago I found a little store here that had it on clearance for $30 a bottle so I purchased the last 2.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 04:26 PM 03-04-2021
I sometimes do the same thing. Find a good price on a bottle and get 2 or 3. Another suggestion is to actually order from the UK. If you get a half dozen bottles, the shipping evens out of it's still a good deal. Case in point, I recently got a bottle of Dalmore 18. By me it's over $200. With shipping factored in, ordering it from the UK ended up being around $135.
[Reply]
crispystl 05:56 PM 03-04-2021
Originally Posted by Lilmrp117:

Thanks I will!
[Reply]
scho63 05:59 PM 03-04-2021
I was really impressed with Glen Fohdry and price was excellent.
[Reply]
cdcox 08:06 PM 03-04-2021
If you love the peat, try Ardbeg Wee Beastie. It is a 5 year single malt, very raw and smoky, like you would expect from a young Ardbeg. Great price point ($45) for an enormous malt.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:25 AM 11-29-2021
Wife bought me the Flaviar Whiskey Advent. Pretty excited about it.

[Reply]
Page 19 of 19
« First < 91516171819
Up