ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 19
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Great Whisky (Whiskey) Thread!
Ming the Merciless 03:43 PM 09-16-2014

If this already exists, feel free to put a link to the proper thread...I searched and found a bourbon thread but alas , no whiskey thread which makes me think my search-fu failed....

But, in case there is not already a whiskey thread:

This thread shall be dedicated to all types of Whiskey.

I will try to make some sort of index up here, as more information is added.

*This is a work in progress...

Whisky / Whiskey
"A type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash"
Each of the subcategories will be defined and include recommendations at different rough price points. Please feel free to post up a recommendation and I will try to get a rough price estimate....

Scotch

Map of Scotch Regions
Spoiler!
There are very strict rules as to which whiskies can be called Scotch. To be called scotch firstly and foremost, the whisky must be made in Scotland. Second, it must be made according to a manner prescribed in detail, by Scottish law. For more see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Single Malt Scotch

To be a "single malt scotch" the whisky must be a "scotch" (duh!) and ALSO be made of ' only water & malted barley at a SINGLE distillery via batch distillation' (see here: LINK)

Blended Scotch

Must be a scotch (see above)..but: Most whisky is blended. It is easier and cheaper to make better tasting whisky than if you attempt the difficult talk of making a single malt. Master blenders do tastings and come up with blends of many different whiskys to achieve a result that they feel is desirable.

Bourbon

Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "Bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits.[3][4] (Wikipedia)

American Rye Whisky

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually corn and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in charred, new oak barrels. The whiskey must be put into such barrels at not more than 125 proof (62.5% abv). Rye whiskey that has been so aged for at least two years and has not been blended with other spirits may be further designated as "straight", as in "straight rye whiskey".[1]

Irish Whiskey

Most Irish pot still whiskey is distilled thrice, while most (but not all) Scotch whisky is distilled twice. Peat is rarely used in the malting process, so that Irish whiskey has a smoother finish as opposed to the smoky, earthy overtones common to some Scotches. There are notable exceptions to these rules in both countries! (Some Irish whiskeys use peat, many Scotches do not)

Japanese Whiskey

Japanese Whiskey production first began around 1870. They started out by trying to emulate Scotch Whisky. Areas of Hokkaido are known to have climates similar to Scotland, and the difficulties of single malt production make it such that mainly Japanese whisky is blended.

[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 02:57 PM 04-07-2015
I love beer and that's part of the problem - drink a lot of beer you get a beer belly. Get a beer belly - with my genes - and you get diabetes. Get diabetes...no more beer allowed! This situation both sucks and blows. But on the bright side - there's still whisk(e)y. Life is still worth living.
[Reply]
Amnorix 03:07 PM 04-07-2015
Quick question -- has anyone actually gone to Scotland to check out a distillery? If so, how was it?

I'm not sure I'll ever make it to Scotland, but at some point I'd like to spend at least a few days there, and visiting a distillery would be pretty cool I think.
[Reply]
Amnorix 03:08 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan:
I love beer and that's part of the problem - drink a lot of beer you get a beer belly. Get a beer belly - with my genes - and you get diabetes. Get diabetes...no more beer allowed! This situation both sucks and blows. But on the bright side - there's still whisk(e)y. Life is still worth living.

I don't regret not liking beer and mayonnaise for about the same reason. I like enough unhealthy stuff. I don't need to force myself to get used to something unhealthy so I do like it!
[Reply]
Reaper16 06:14 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
I'm not sure what it is. I think if you don't get used to drinking beer at age 16 somewhere, then you probably will never like it. :-)
I didn't start drinking beer until I was 22. But then, I never started drinking 30-pack type industrial lagers.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:16 PM 04-07-2015
Got to try Kansas City's own Rieger Whiskey last night. Sipped it neat. It's some pretty damned smooth whiskey. I detected a strong note of butterscotch with a very slight woody finish. It was quite delicious.

http://jriegerco.com
[Reply]
Indian Chief 08:25 PM 04-07-2015
Before starting on Scotch I was a big beer drinker. Tried every craft brew I could get my hands on, and I still do my own brew once a year. As I have gotten more into whiskey, I find that my tolerance for beer (feel crappy after 3+) and enjoyment of beer has gone way down. I can't say exactly what it is, but that's where I am at.
[Reply]
TribalElder 08:40 PM 04-07-2015
You should be drinking bulleit bourbon frontier whiskey

Seriously
[Reply]
cdcox 11:32 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
Quick question -- has anyone actually gone to Scotland to check out a distillery? If so, how was it?

I'm not sure I'll ever make it to Scotland, but at some point I'd like to spend at least a few days there, and visiting a distillery would be pretty cool I think.
I visited the Scotch Whisky Experience in Edinburgh. Not a distillery, but very educational about the process, culture, and history.
[Reply]
headsnap 09:19 PM 04-08-2015
Fun day today, mrs headsnap and I delivered six 'empty' barrels to a friend in Virginia for her new restaurant. We knocked the bungs out and emptied out the dregs that were left in the barrels, got about a pitcher and a half. Strained that through coffee filters and we have some very good smoky bourbon. This stuff is strong, burn your tongue strong, but cut with about 1/3 water it is very sweet and drinkable. Tomorrow we are going to borrow a hydrometer to test the proof. These barrels were from Four Roses Distillery and were dated May of 2009 BTW...

[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:40 PM 04-08-2015
Four Roses is some good stuff. That's awesome.
[Reply]
eDave 10:45 PM 04-08-2015
What's your perfect Manhattan?
[Reply]
cdcox 11:04 PM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by eDave:
What's your perfect Manhattan?
I like to make mine with Scotch.

Very, very light on the vermouth and bitters. I leave them out.

No cherry!

Served on the rocks.
[Reply]
Amnorix 06:35 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
I didn't start drinking beer until I was 22. But then, I never started drinking 30-pack type industrial lagers.

Yeah, my friends have tried introducing me to the better ones. "This is a Sam Adams Stout, try it". "This is a black and tan, it's really different". "This is an ale". Etc. etc.

They all taste fundamentally the same to me -- beer. Blech.

:-)
[Reply]
Amnorix 06:36 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by cdcox:
I visited the Scotch Whisky Experience in Edinburgh. Not a distillery, but very educational about the process, culture, and history.

Need to make a note of that. Sounds great. Thanks!
[Reply]
penguinz 10:16 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by headsnap:
Fun day today, mrs headsnap and I delivered six 'empty' barrels to a friend in Virginia for her new restaurant. We knocked the bungs out and emptied out the dregs that were left in the barrels, got about a pitcher and a half. Strained that through coffee filters and we have some very good smoky bourbon. This stuff is strong, burn your tongue strong, but cut with about 1/3 water it is very sweet and drinkable. Tomorrow we are going to borrow a hydrometer to test the proof. These barrels were from Four Roses Distillery and were dated May of 2009 BTW...

How can one get a hold of some of this? :-)
[Reply]
Page 10 of 19
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Up