Wong 2B
Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:44 AM 08-31-2018
I think that the Cardinals need to take a risk and the 10-20% chance that Donaldson can hold it together through September and then for a few weeks in October is worth it, because if he can, pitchers can't really navigate the Cardinals offense safely.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:45 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I thought you and Hamas were big Gyrko fans?
I like Gyorko and think he's underpaid, but if he's hurt he can't help a team on a playoff push. He's also the kind of guy that will win or lose a playoff series for you depending on how his bat is going.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:46 AM 08-31-2018
I thought you and Hamas were big Gyrko fans?
I am. He's hurt.

And groin injuries don't fuck around. Who's to say when he'll come back or what kind of timing he'll be able to find before we really need him.

But that's why I'm more interested in Forsythe than Donaldson. Gimme a guy that can play multiple defensive positions and is healthy enough to contribute now while we need to get through this patch of injuries. I'd rather have that than a 3b only player who's simply not sound at the moment and is a real risk to break down within a few days of us acquiring him.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:48 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I like Gyorko and think he's underpaid, but if he's hurt he can't help a team on a playoff push. He's also the kind of guy that will win or lose a playoff series for you depending on how his bat is going.
Jedd could easily have had the kind of post-season that Freese had. He's no less talented than Freese was.

David just got hot at the right time. Jedd's has stretches just like that in his own right. He was a guy I had on a shortlist of potential post-season heroes that make people bitch about 'Cardinal Devil Magic' for another half decade.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:50 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Jedd could easily have had the kind of post-season that Freese had. He's no less talented than Freese was.

David just got hot at the right time. Jedd's has stretches just like that in his own right. He was a guy I had on a shortlist of potential post-season heroes that make people bitch about 'Cardinal Devil Magic' for another half decade.
We're not in disagreement over that. He can also have the kind of postseason that makes you end up motherfucking him for the next two years, like Jhonny Peralta.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:58 AM 08-31-2018
We're not in disagreement over that. He can also have the kind of postseason that makes you end up motherfucking him for the next two years, like Jhonny Peralta.
Do you remember the shattered husk of Chase Utley standing there flat-footed and swinging feebly at anything that vaguely resembled a slider that might get near the plate because he knew full well that any fastball you threw him would actually knock him to the ground if it managed to hit his bat?

I mean, Donaldson may not be quite that pathetic, but he'll be close. Ask Allen Craig how easy it is to drive a ball if your legs don't work. Now take that lunatic 'hip load' thing that Donaldson does and realize that his lower half is even more critical.

What the hell's he gonna do with no base and an armbar? I just can't see how Donaldson can do anything other than try to Kirk Gibson his way through it. Just an assload of pain management in the hopes he can give you 2 or 3 good swings every few days before resting again.
[Reply]
VAChief 12:20 PM 08-31-2018
We're not in disagreement over that. He can also have the kind of postseason that makes you end up mother****ing him for the next two years, like Jhonny Peralta.
Wong and Gyroko both were starting to fit in where we needed them from the start. It sucks bad losing them right now.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:27 PM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Do you remember the shattered husk of Chase Utley standing there flat-footed and swinging feebly at anything that vaguely resembled a slider that might get near the plate because he knew full well that any fastball you threw him would actually knock him to the ground if it managed to hit his bat?

I mean, Donaldson may not be quite that pathetic, but he'll be close. Ask Allen Craig how easy it is to drive a ball if your legs don't work. Now take that lunatic 'hip load' thing that Donaldson does and realize that his lower half is even more critical.

What the hell's he gonna do with no base and an armbar? I just can't see how Donaldson can do anything other than try to Kirk Gibson his way through it. Just an assload of pain management in the hopes he can give you 2 or 3 good swings every few days before resting again.
Yeah, but we're also not dealing with an arthritic hip or a Lis Franc injury. He took a day off in between going 2-4 and hitting one out last night. It's certainly high risk, but a calf isn't a foot or hip.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:39 PM 08-31-2018
He is going to blow out his arm with this motion? Anything we can do about it? He's still way more valuable to us than anything we could get in a trade before the blow out, right?

Jordan Hicks, Arm Action/Intent (front view/101mph FB). pic.twitter.com/zYdGlUrJG4

— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) August 31, 2018

[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:15 PM 08-31-2018
This is a very unique talent

Hicks did him #dirty
101 MPH Sinker to get the K pic.twitter.com/23ant1goET

— cardinalsgifs (@cardinalsgifs) August 31, 2018

[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:31 PM 08-31-2018
Per MLB network: Cardinals have offered a trade for Donaldson. It’s considered a “low ball” offer and the Cardinals are not interested in coming up on the compensation.

Sounds like you guys said, if you can get him cheap, then take the gamble.
[Reply]
bdj23 03:32 PM 08-31-2018
Dry powder or something
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:37 PM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Dry powder or something

Mozeliak said he doesn't anticipate the #STLCards making an acquisition before the end of the day.

— Jenifer Langosch (@LangoschMLB) August 31, 2018

[Reply]
bdj23 03:39 PM 08-31-2018
This is my shocked face
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:43 PM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by BDj23:
This is my shocked face
wellll if they are wanting a “real” prospect for a month rental, fuck that.

They take Wisdom as DJ said, sure why not take the gamble on him. They want starting pitching, fuck them.
[Reply]
Page 232 of 301
« First < 132182222228229230231232 233234235236242282 > Last »
Up