ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 40
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:23 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Well I hope you're not including me in that.

I think it's wise to not count on Fisher.

I think you need to bring Remmers back. Super-sub/insurance plan.

I DO think you need one tackle. I don't believe you just hand a spot to Niang, and I'd rather not see the Rankin show at LT.

We will need to figure something out at C, whether it be internal or a cheap vet, but if we draft one, I don't think you assume he starts either right away. I'm curious as to how the Justin Britt work-out went. That could be a nice stopgap guy. He's still only 29.

Durant just looks too slow afoot for an OT, but is a maybe at Guard.

I mean there could be some options already here and it could be that Veach knows exactly who will be ready to play and where, but WE don't, so we speculate.
No, I'm not really automatically including anyone - there's so many "this guy sucks" posts on CP it's hard to keep track of individual opinions anyway.

I absolutely agree with you on almost everything above.

I took Eichenberg in my latest mock draft this morning. I think at worst, he can start at RT. At best, he can start at LT. That fills at least one hole.

You'd still need a center since we're all assuming Reiter will get too much money but you wouldn't have any gaping holes at guard or RT, since Wylie, Remmers, Niang, and LDT to fight out those positions.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:23 PM 02-04-2021
I'd rather not see the Rankin show at LT.
Why not?

He played extremely well against the Chargers in Week 17 and was by far the best LG on the roster in 2019.

If the Chiefs decide to pass on a left tackle in favor of waiting for Fisher, I think there's a good possibility that he heads into camp as the starter at Left Tackle.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:26 PM 02-04-2021
I don't know that I'd say he's above average though.
For the record, I'm not saying that he's an above average Right Tackle at this moment in time.

I'm saying that if he had a full offseason and training camp at Right Tackle, there's a chance he'd be above average because he's shown that on short notice, he can more than hold his own at the RT slot and against a very good defensive line in the Saints.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:29 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Why not?

He played extremely well against the Chargers in Week 17 and was by far the best LG on the roster in 2019.

If the Chiefs decide to pass on a left tackle in favor of waiting for Fisher, I think there's a good possibility that he heads into camp as the starter at Left Tackle.
The only reason Rankin is a Chief - and most likely the reason the Texans are in a meltdown that started with the Tunsil trade - is because Rankin was an unmitigated disaster at LT for the Texans.

I'm not real comfortable with him being penciled in as a starting tackle.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:33 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The only reason Rankin is a Chief - and most likely the reason the Texans are in a meltdown that started with the Tunsil trade - is because Rankin was an unmitigated disaster at LT for the Texans.

I'm not real comfortable with him being penciled in as a starting tackle.
No offense but the Texans under Bill O'Brien didn't coach up anyone. O'Brien needed Top Shelf guys like Tunsil in order to have even a decent offensive line, so whatever happened in Texas is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

He's been in the Chiefs system now for two years, so it's time to shit or get off the pot.

Again, he played well at LT vs. Chargers and looked really good while doing it. He's certainly better than Cam Erving, who started 8 games in 2019 for the Chiefs and went 5-3 with him.

I'd prefer to have a guy with experience at Left Tackle as opposed to a rookie drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round next season.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:37 PM 02-04-2021
And if I remember from watching some Texans games....even Tunsil didn’t look that great.
[Reply]
Direckshun 03:43 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Maybe it's due to the small sample size or maybe it's more natural for him to play outside but I have to say, there's really no reason to draft and start a rookie Right Tackle when Wylie has done a pretty damn good job in spot duty this season.

With a full offseason and training camp, I think Wylie would be just fine, if not well above average, at the Right Tackle position.
Wylie was absolutely crushed in the Saints game. Mahomes was running for his life. He just can't get to guys who have really good bend.

The Chiefs have Niang, and I'm currently assuming he's the man for the job?

If anything, the Chiefs would try Wylie (or preferably Remmers) at LT next year as a placeholder until Fisher returns by, ostensibly, December or January.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:46 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Wylie was absolutely crushed in the Saints game. Mahomes was running for his life. He just can't get to guys who have really good bend.

The Chiefs have Niang, and I'm currently assuming he's the man for the job?

If anything, the Chiefs would try Wylie (or preferably Remmers) at LT next year as a placeholder until Fisher returns by, ostensibly, December or January.
The Chiefs - specifically Veach - said the plan was to begin with Niang inside at guard.

I'm not going to assume anything about him. He might not even be a starter opening day.
[Reply]
Direckshun 03:46 PM 02-04-2021
No, not just coaching, he's going to need a ton of luck. He's a guy that might not even make the roster because he can't even digest a playbook.

Compared to him, Hardman was medium rare.
A lot will go into what the scouting department thinks about his ability to digest playbook material and put in the work.

He's got the physical tools, no question.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:46 PM 02-04-2021
Wylie is ass at RG. He was okay for a stretch of the Saints game at RT.

If he does well at RT on Sunday I’ll give him credit but his presence thus far in his time here is very lackluster at best.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:47 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:

If he does well at RT on Sunday I’ll give him credit but his presence thus far in his time here is very lackluster at best.
The problem is that he's under contract. Unless somebody offers him a contract the Chiefs don't want to match, he's coming back and it's likely, given his experience, that he's going to start somewhere.

They can't replace everybody in one offseason, it's just not possible.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:48 PM 02-04-2021
Yeah, he was so terrible that the Chiefs only scored 32 points. Wylie gave up 2 sacks during the entire season.

Mahomes is never going to have the kind of protection that you and others seem to think that he needs because he's always extending plays and running around.

He's not a 5 or 7 step drop QB.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:51 PM 02-04-2021
A lot will go into what the scouting department thinks about his ability to digest playbook material and put in the work.

He's got the physical tools, no question.
Most definitely has the size and speed. He's worth a late mid-rounder, say in the 4th, but he's not a guy you can count on developing. He's a luxury pick more than anything. He might be a star, he might be out of the league in 2 years.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:53 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:

I will never understand how the Chiefs "terrible" offensive line rendered the team to a 16-2 record and another Super Bowl appearance.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:54 PM 02-04-2021
The problem is that he's under contract. Unless somebody offers him a contract the Chiefs don't want to match, he's coming back and it's likely, given his experience, that he's going to start somewhere.

They can't replace everybody in one offseason, it's just not possible.
Ideally he’s a backup and emergency swing tackle at best. Since LDT is coming back I’d imagine our starting OL would best be Remmers, Allegretti, Reiter/replacement, LDT and Niang.

Wylie is always getting beat. I see him getting owned badly at least twice a game. Fortunately Patrick Mahomes is awesome mitigates it.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 40
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Up