ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Frig ice maker
Holladay 07:15 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by :
so many times opening the door the filter light will come on. I used to have new fridges in the showroom that were never hooked up to water have the replace filter message come on. It's a scam.
Interesting...next time I will just tell frig that I replaced the filter. I have done that on my de-humidifier in my basement. Our well water is clean as a whistle.

"How does it know"? Door opening me thinks.

Originally Posted by :
Samsung?
I have seen the posts on Samsung...I am sure it is not, thinking LG. I will check tonight.
[Reply]
eDave 07:16 PM 12-02-2020
I've been buying bags at the Circle K for decades. No ice issues here.

#Desert
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:23 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:

#Desert
We use about 5 pounds of ice per day, so I'd spend more than $850 dollars a year on ice bags. Maybe more.
[Reply]
Holladay 07:18 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by :
I have a gas dryer and wouldn't even think of going electric.
I wish I would have thought about that when we built on the house extension. It would have been fairly easy then. Not now:-)

Originally Posted by :
Understand. I did the same thing at the office from Wal-mart. Pain in the ass when you can just press a button on the frig though vs the ice melting in the car on side stops towards home.
[Reply]
eDave 08:11 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by Holladay:

Understand. I did the same thing at the office from Wal-mart. Pain in the ass when you can just press a button on the frig though vs the ice melting in the car on side stops towards home.
A bit I suppose. I live in AZ and don't get melt. A fraction I suppose but I just drop the bag on the floor a couple of times after it's been in the freezer. Breaks back out nicely and it's the size I like. Can't do the smiley face ice cubes, though I do love me some crushed ice. In that event I just hold my hand over the glass and shake it to kinda crush the ice.

Ice. Who invented that shit?
[Reply]
mlyonsd 07:23 PM 12-02-2020
I finally had to replace the icemaker in our 24 year old GE this year. One of the cube slots in the tray finally wore out and a small hole caused water to drip out when it was being filled. Easy replacement.

I've looked at the newer fridges but none of them have the ice capacity of my old GE. It easily holds a 10 pound bag of ice. Are there any new models out there that have a large capacity? I haven't found any.
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:07 PM 12-02-2020
And funny, as per last posts, got a deal in the mail from GE to order replacement filters. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:21 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
And funny, as per last posts, got a deal in the mail from GE to order replacement filters. :-)
I have a GE fridge from 2003 and order the replacement filters on Amazon.

They're generally less than $20 dollars each and I replace them every six months.

I've had good luck with some of the non-GE brands as well.
[Reply]
Eureka 10:48 PM 12-02-2020
I worked in the industry for a bit. I think Kitchen Aid is the best brand for fridges or a whole new kitchen. WP aka Whirlpool is the main brand and they also make Maytag, Kitchen Aid, Amana, Jenn-Air.

LG and Samsung fridges have hip features but can have issues. I’d basically tell people they have to buy the extended warranty.

Electrolux and Frigidaire are in bed together. They make decent stuff. If you like their products there OK to buy. Have some cool features.
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:00 AM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by Eureka:
I worked in the industry for a bit. I think Kitchen Aid is the best brand for fridges or a whole new kitchen. WP aka Whirlpool is the main brand and they also make Maytag, Kitchen Aid, Amana, Jenn-Air.

LG and Samsung fridges have hip features but can have issues. I’d basically tell people they have to buy the extended warranty.

Electrolux and Frigidaire are in bed together. They make decent stuff. If you like their products there OK to buy. Have some cool features.
Frigidaire...heh...they are generally pretty reliable but holy shit the way some of their stuff is designed makes them an unnecessary pain in the ass to work on. I recently installed one of their dishwashers and the junction box for the electrical hook ups was higher than normal and behind the bottom edge of the door. I couldn't see it and have my hands on it at the same time and pretty much had to wire it up by feel. Definitely not a good brand for DIYers.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 07:14 PM 05-12-2021
Our LG fridge made in January 2018 won’t get cold. All food ruined. Piece of crap. Needs new compressor
[Reply]
Eureka 11:57 PM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
Our LG fridge made in January 2018 won’t get cold. All food ruined. Piece of crap. Needs new compressor
The compressor is most likely covered for 5 years possibly 10. At least the part is. Try calling LG and find out if the compressor is covered.

Labor is somewhere around 80% of the cost to replace the compressor. Maybe, your handy enough to watch a YouTube video and replace it yourself. :-)

Quick google search says LG covers the compressor and labor for 5 years.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 12:34 AM 05-13-2021
Originally Posted by Eureka:
The compressor is most likely covered for 5 years possibly 10. At least the part is. Try calling LG and find out if the compressor is covered.

Labor is somewhere around 80% of the cost to replace the compressor. Maybe, your handy enough to watch a YouTube video and replace it yourself. :-)

Quick google search says LG covers the compressor and labor for 5 years.
Even if we didn't buy it? We purchased the home 9 months ago and have a Home Shield Home Warranty that covers it (don't get me started about these home warranties)
The guy they authorized to come see it is an hour away. And it's not like I live in a rural area. He wants me to call them tomorrow to get a travel fee authorized or find a closer person. Even with that it will be until Wednesday before he can fix it. A week minimum with no fridge. Weakness.

(EDIT: LG factory warranty needs proof of purchase. I am S.O.L.)
[Reply]
btlook1 06:23 AM 05-13-2021
LG? I have read that most are not good! There is a facebook group for the samsung fridges maybe there is one for the LG's? Samsung is dicking around hundreds of people after making sub par fridges. I would never buy a samsung appliance again after reading what dicks they are.....I read somewhere that LG is almost as bad.
[Reply]
Eureka 01:04 PM 05-13-2021
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
Even if we didn't buy it? We purchased the home 9 months ago and have a Home Shield Home Warranty that covers it (don't get me started about these home warranties)
The guy they authorized to come see it is an hour away. And it's not like I live in a rural area. He wants me to call them tomorrow to get a travel fee authorized or find a closer person. Even with that it will be until Wednesday before he can fix it. A week minimum with no fridge. Weakness.

(EDIT: LG factory warranty needs proof of purchase. I am S.O.L.)
Hopefully that home warranty company will fix it. I'll throw out a few options as I used to work in the business

1. Have it fixed and suffer through having no fridge for quite some time.

2. Do number 1 but purchase a small fridge for the garage to use in the mean time and then you can use that over the years as more fridge space.

3. Cut your loses and go buy new. I'd recommend Kitchen Aid or Maytag (same company). If you can find a mom and pop store and ask them to price match. They'll probably service what they sell. Then consider purchasing the extended warranty.

Good luck.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up