ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 13
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Media Center>Netflix: Mindhunter
Frazod 09:19 PM 10-16-2017
Anybody else watching this? Amazing show. The main characters are based on John Douglas and Robert Ressler, the first FBI agents to gain insight into the minds of serial killers by interviewing them in prison (Douglas was the basis for Scott Glenn's character in Silence of the Lambs). Set in the late 70s. I'm three episodes in and really enjoying it.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:54 AM 07-30-2019
It's amazing how closely the actors resemble the RL assholes they're portraying.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:23 PM 07-30-2019
Just learned David Fincher was behind this and directed some of the episodes. I need to check this out.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 03:04 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Just learned David Fincher was behind this and directed some of the episodes. I need to check this out.
Same with me, anything Fincher has done is usually great. I guess Jodi Foster in Panic Room was probably my least favorite film of his and that was good.

I see mentioned Silence of the Lambs connection, how about Manhunter. That's the prequel to SOL. It's a Michael Mann (Miami Vice) film from 1986 featuring William Peterson of CSI fame. It's is fantastic, Brian Cox plays the Anthony Hopkins character and Petersen is the FBI guy and his boss is Dennis Farina. It's got all the slickness of Miami Vice and has an intriguing story. I can watch over and over just like Silence of the Lambs. If you're a fan of In a Gadda Da Vida, you'll love the ending. If you're a fan of William Petersen like me, or you will be after seeing this film, don't miss To Live or Die in LA. If you have Directv, both films are on HDNET quite often.

[Reply]
keg in kc 05:12 PM 08-05-2019

[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:20 PM 08-06-2019
My body is ready
[Reply]
Miles 02:22 PM 08-06-2019
Interesting that Dewy Crowe also played Manson in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:53 AM 08-08-2019
I just watched the first 3 episodes of Season 1, and I'm hooked. It's the kind of show or movie I really like. For example The Girl on the Train or Gone Girl, I can watch them over and over. David Fincher always does well, but maybe not The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, that film the Swedish original didn't need to be remade.

I love the coloring, it's so much like Fincher's Zodiac. It is a little slow moving, but I can see since they don't have the time restraints of a 2 hour film, he can let the story develop. Anybody looking for something similar but more action, the film Manhunter I recommended earlier with William Petersen is great! I rewatch it everytime HDNET or some other channel airs it.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:07 AM 08-08-2019
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I just watched the first 3 episodes of Season 1, and I'm hooked. It's the kind of show or movie I really like. For example The Girl on the Train or Gone Girl, I can watch them over and over. David Fincher always does well, but maybe not The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, that film the Swedish original didn't need to be remade.

I love the coloring, it's so much like Fincher's Zodiac. It is a little slow moving, but I can see since they don't have the time restraints of a 2 hour film, he can let the story develop. Anybody looking for something similar but more action, the film Manhunter I recommended earlier with William Petersen is great! I rewatch it everytime HDNET or some other channel airs it.
The slow movement of the narrative is CRUCIAL. You need to get a sense of the inertia of the knowledge of the time. The mindset, the communication channels, the data analysis infrastructure. Like trying to play chess by postal service where neither of you know the other's address.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:11 PM 08-08-2019
Ed Kemper is one of the best parts of the show and I didn't even know who he was before this.
[Reply]
Huffmeister 09:06 AM 08-09-2019
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I see mentioned Silence of the Lambs connection, how about Manhunter. That's the prequel to SOL. It's a Michael Mann (Miami Vice) film from 1986 featuring William Peterson of CSI fame. It's is fantastic, Brian Cox plays the Anthony Hopkins character and Petersen is the FBI guy and his boss is Dennis Farina. It's got all the slickness of Miami Vice and has an intriguing story. I can watch over and over just like Silence of the Lambs. If you're a fan of In a Gadda Da Vida, you'll love the ending. If you're a fan of William Petersen like me, or you will be after seeing this film, don't miss To Live or Die in LA. If you have Directv, both films are on HDNET quite often.
The movie Red Dragon (2002) is a remake of this movie. Anthony Hopkins is Lecter, Edward Norton is Peterson's character, and Ralph Fiennes is the villain.

Both are great movies. It's really interesting to watch the same story told from two different eras of film-making. Manhunter is a story set in the 80s and made in the 80s. Red Dragon is the same story set in the 80s, but made in the 00s.
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 01:51 PM 08-11-2019
Originally Posted by Huffmeister:
The movie Red Dragon (2002) is a remake of this movie. Anthony Hopkins is Lecter, Edward Norton is Peterson's character, and Ralph Fiennes is the villain.

Both are great movies. It's really interesting to watch the same story told from two different eras of film-making. Manhunter is a story set in the 80s and made in the 80s. Red Dragon is the same story set in the 80s, but made in the 00s.
Manhunter is one of my all time favorites. Because of the stylistic differences I found Red Dragon mostly unwatchable, even with Hopkins as Lecter. Odd how it felt like a B movie to me.
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:44 AM 08-12-2019
Just listened to a new episode of Atlanta Monster with an interview with John Douglas. Pretty good stuff.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/how...ter/e/62938129
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:42 AM 08-13-2019
We just finished Season 1, and I gave it a 10 on IMDB. Basically it's what my wife and I watch all the time. Dateline, 20/20, 48 Hours, these are our favorite shows. I'm also a big fan of Paula Zahn on ID Channel. We watch ID channel a couple of hours a day, usually tape the shows so I can watch later without the commercials.

I was reading about the actors, I couldn't believe that Jonathan Groff who plays Holt Ford is an openly gay actor. Wendy is played by an Australian actress who is not gay, but divorced and Holt McCallany, who plays Bill Tench has a very pretty longtime girlfriend and he'll be 56 next month. Here's some real life photos.

[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:54 AM 08-13-2019
Unrelated, but some of Goff’s background is in theatre and he has a gorgeous voice. During his scene at the elementary school in S1 he kept the kids entertained by singing his songs from Frozen. He has a great IRL friendship with Holt, too.
[Reply]
MTG#10 06:20 AM 08-15-2019
It was a struggle making it through the first episode. Maybe it was my mood but I hope it gets better.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 13
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up