ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 44
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tesla Cybertruck
DaFace 10:45 PM 11-21-2019
Well, he said it was going to be different.

The #Cybertruck, Tesla’s all-new electric pickup truck, is here, and it can take a sledgehammer to the door while nary a dent. The all-electric pickup will offer up to 500 miles of range and start at $39,000. https://t.co/7a8YBicIkC

— WIRED (@WIRED) November 22, 2019

Starts at $40k, though. That's impressive.
[Reply]
aturnis 08:40 PM 11-23-2019
The most experienced tower I've seen gets about 200 mi from a 295 mi battery pack towing a 3800lb camper and everything inside to live. Worst case they got pushed to 150 I believe.

Think my estimates line up pretty well percentage wise.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
aturnis 09:00 PM 11-23-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah, as I said earlier in the thread, this thing's target market has to be Land Rover people. It's definitely not a work truck in its current form.
I dunno. I work for a living and I don't see any reason it's not a superior work truck, especially from a fleet owners financial perspective.

Near limitless life on the body

All the utility of a 2500

Best driver safety assistance system in the world

GPS nav and search

Always on LTE connection likely to eventually go on crazy fast SpaceX satellite network

Incredibly well written software purpose written for specific tasks by mining loads of data for information

1/4 the fuel cost

Maintenance costs nearly gone entirely

With the tailgate down it'll handle 4x8 plywood laid flat with room to spare

Entire bed covered with t slot bolt channels and various other tie down points.

110v/220v outlets

Built in air compressor with utility ports

This is all standard and with almost no knowledge of the storage potential of the main cabin, frunk or rear bed rails.

If they solve full self driving, and laws change to suit, your employees can complete paperwork, schedule, answer email and texts, coordinate plans and orders/deliveries while traveling.

[Reply]
Buehler445 09:21 PM 11-23-2019
Originally Posted by aturnis:
1. It's an electric vehicle so it's defacto more reliable than any trick you can buy. No belts, pulleys, transmission, oils/fluids, spark plugs etc.

Just battery and motor. As long as you have good connection and no pieces of metal stabbed through the battery, you should be good.

2. Shouldn't need a toolbox aside from the organization aspect of it all as the tonneau bed cover is aluminum and you can walk all over it. Your stuff should be secure just in the bed.

It's also got built-in 110/220v outlets and air compressor utility ports from the dynamically adjustable air suspension.

3.Windshield wiper blades and tires. Maybe some grease for the suspension. Only other things would be the glycol or whatever they run through the thermal management system but they generally take care of that at this point.

Model 3 recommended maintenance schedule is every 2 years for reference.

4. It's a 2500 for $40k.

3500lb payload
14,000lb towing
16 inch ground clearance(4 inch adjustable)
Probably near limitless torque etc

Maintenance is essentially 0, and $18-$24 to get your full 500 miles of range.

There's literally no economic case against it.

There is though, a lot of "it's not a real truck" bs floating in here but so far the only legitimate complaint I hear is "you can't sit on slanted bed rails".

Honestly, what couldn't this truck do? If anything, this is more capable than a 2500 with unknown utility yet to be add through software updates.

I forgot you were the Tesla ballwasher around here.

1. Look dude. I am fully apprised of the maintenance benefits of electric vs internal combustion. Notorious and I were straight giddy at the prospect. I get it. But there is 0% chance I'm going to be the beta test for this shit on the farm. None. I have a program I get along with with gassers. I don't need to be the guy that figures out what they need to re-engineer. And to pretend these things are going to be perfect with serial number 001 is straight up intergallactically stupid.

2. Says the dude that has never used tools. Suggesting that a guy with a shitload of tools needed in the field should just throw them in the bed is also...you guessed it...intergallactically stupid.

I don't carry a generator, so I don't much care about the 110/220. As far as the air, I'm 99.99999999% sure it won't be enough to do any real good. We have compressors on all the semis for suspensions to hold up 100K lb and they don't move near enough CFM to do any real good. There is no way a compressor for a tiny little pickup suspension is going to do anything substantial. They just wouldn't pull that many amps from the drivetrain to do it.

3. I run a whole fuckload of electrical shit on the farm. None of it is maintenance free completely. Although if Musk gets the engineering right, it should be relatively worry free.

4. Yeah. I read the specs. We'll see. Like I said, if it delivers, I'm all over it like stink on shit. But we'll see.
[Reply]
aturnis 10:18 PM 11-23-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I forgot you were the Tesla ballwasher around here.

1. Look dude. I am fully apprised of the maintenance benefits of electric vs internal combustion. Notorious and I were straight giddy at the prospect. I get it. But there is 0% chance I'm going to be the beta test for this shit on the farm. None. I have a program I get along with with gassers. I don't need to be the guy that figures out what they need to re-engineer. And to pretend these things are going to be perfect with serial number 001 is straight up intergallactically stupid.

2. Says the dude that has never used tools. Suggesting that a guy with a shitload of tools needed in the field should just throw them in the bed is also...you guessed it...intergallactically stupid.

I don't carry a generator, so I don't much care about the 110/220. As far as the air, I'm 99.99999999% sure it won't be enough to do any real good. We have compressors on all the semis for suspensions to hold up 100K lb and they don't move near enough CFM to do any real good. There is no way a compressor for a tiny little pickup suspension is going to do anything substantial. They just wouldn't pull that many amps from the drivetrain to do it.

3. I run a whole fuckload of electrical shit on the farm. None of it is maintenance free completely. Although if Musk gets the engineering right, it should be relatively worry free.

4. Yeah. I read the specs. We'll see. Like I said, if it delivers, I'm all over it like stink on shit. But we'll see.
2. I build giant buildings for a living with my own hands and get paid well to use both my back and my brain.

I'm well versed in work. I've been down in mudholes for days fighting the frost and cored 5" holes through 3' thick concrete walls. Never met a problem I can't get solved.

I appreciate the mutual respect though.

3. I understand you run electrical equipment. I do too! I install it as well. This isn't that level of engineering though. We aren't talking about a lift with dumb electrical circuitry with the only think protecting their connections being a rubber boot maybe.

These are ultra geeks who have the resources of SpaceX to lean on with a guy who's smart enough to understand good ideas and bad ones controlling the purse strings.

I've done work in the ISU Skunk works for JD at BRF outside of Ames, I've been all over the U of I and it's engineering spaces. They aren't anything compared to this.

Don't get me wrong, they're great, brilliant people who do great work, but they can only work within the freedom their given and the only great ideas they can chase are the ones that someone sees as achievable in the short term with nothing deemed "impossible" on the table.

There's a guy named Sandy Monroe, who owns a engineering consult firm that tears apart automobiles, heavy equipment, military vehicles you name it, depends on the customer. He says the $35k Model 3 has military fighter plane level electronics.

In other words, you're lift/tractor etc etc needs service. A Tesla skateboard is more like a cellphone with most all components contained in a strong flat rectangular box that is basically waterproof.

Now, your phone or tablet almost never needs servicing. My android is subject to all the dirt/dust metal and wood shavings tossing in my pockets all day and sometimes I have to pound dirt or pull metal shavings out of ports/holes at the end of the day. It handles falls, water, heat, cold. Still, runs without fail.

That's what a Tesla skateboard is. Self contained. Strong as all hell, best crash safety in the industry. Dust/waterproof to some degree. Waterproof enough to float for awhile at least.

Examples of reasons they are better are countless, but one example is in simplifying complex machines by deleting things you don't really need. Tesla is great at getting rid of shit you don't need and still making the product better.

For instance, a typical car has about 1 mile of copper cabling in it. The Model 3 got that down to about 1500 meters(?) from the 3000 meters in the Model S. Good, but now all future Tesla cars should be built with less than 300' I'd cabling. Not only did that simplify manufacturing and make the car lighter, but using a communications network similar to what you'd find in a Siemens HVAC network or a class A fire alarm circuit, two way, fully redundant ring type network communication, you can sever a cable and keep going. Lose a motor too? No worry, you've got one or two more.

If you think a possible customer target for this thing isn't the military you're crazy.

[Reply]
aturnis 10:22 PM 11-23-2019
Originally Posted by mac459:
Here is the SUB towing I mentioned

https://www.tflcar.com/2019/09/a-tes...-try-and-fail/
I'll admittedly greet this with a bit of skepticism. Gearheads are notorious for lying/cheating to make Tesla look bad.

Top Gear did it by pretending the car ran out of juice and they had to push it, and recently Porsche did so by racing their Taycan against it and "beating it" while it was in a mode reserved to deliver maximum range efficiency, not performance.

[Reply]
Buehler445 11:54 PM 11-23-2019
2. I build giant buildings for a living with my own hands and get paid well to use both my back and my brain.

I'm well versed in work. I've been down in mudholes for days fighting the frost and cored 5" holes through 3' thick concrete walls. Never met a problem I can't get solved.

I appreciate the mutual respect though.

3. I understand you run electrical equipment. I do too! I install it as well. This isn't that level of engineering though. We aren't talking about a lift with dumb electrical circuitry with the only think protecting their connections being a rubber boot maybe.

These are ultra geeks who have the resources of SpaceX to lean on with a guy who's smart enough to understand good ideas and bad ones controlling the purse strings.

I've done work in the ISU Skunk works for JD at BRF outside of Ames, I've been all over the U of I and it's engineering spaces. They aren't anything compared to this.

Don't get me wrong, they're great, brilliant people who do great work, but they can only work within the freedom their given and the only great ideas they can chase are the ones that someone sees as achievable in the short term with nothing deemed "impossible" on the table.

There's a guy named Sandy Monroe, who owns a engineering consult firm that tears apart automobiles, heavy equipment, military vehicles you name it, depends on the customer. He says the $35k Model 3 has military fighter plane level electronics.

In other words, you're lift/tractor etc etc needs service. A Tesla skateboard is more like a cellphone with most all components contained in a strong flat rectangular box that is basically waterproof.

Now, your phone or tablet almost never needs servicing. My android is subject to all the dirt/dust metal and wood shavings tossing in my pockets all day and sometimes I have to pound dirt or pull metal shavings out of ports/holes at the end of the day. It handles falls, water, heat, cold. Still, runs without fail.

That's what a Tesla skateboard is. Self contained. Strong as all hell, best crash safety in the industry. Dust/waterproof to some degree. Waterproof enough to float for awhile at least.

Examples of reasons they are better are countless, but one example is in simplifying complex machines by deleting things you don't really need. Tesla is great at getting rid of shit you don't need and still making the product better.

For instance, a typical car has about 1 mile of copper cabling in it. The Model 3 got that down to about 1500 meters(?) from the 3000 meters in the Model S. Good, but now all future Tesla cars should be built with less than 300' I'd cabling. Not only did that simplify manufacturing and make the car lighter, but using a communications network similar to what you'd find in a Siemens HVAC network or a class A fire alarm circuit, two way, fully redundant ring type network communication, you can sever a cable and keep going. Lose a motor too? No worry, you've got one or two more.

If you think a possible customer target for this thing isn't the military you're crazy.

2. For anyone that uses tools regularly, throwing them in the back of your pickup is just dumb. Especially as much shit as I have in mine.

3. I'm willing to roll with the engineering. I'll be the first to admit that Deere's electrical is shit. It boggles the mind that it's so poor. If they can get the electrical working like Deere's mechanical, I'll be good.

But let's not pretend like they're without problems. I don't follow Tesla very closely at all, but a 5 second google search yielded a lot of shit. That's just the top 3. All from 2019.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...bility-issues/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/10/b...k-outlook.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesl...rs-say-2019-10

Like I said, if they deliver, I'll probably be on it. There are a lot of things there that would fit right in, you know, as long as they do shit like a receiver hitch and shit.
[Reply]
Molitoth 12:59 AM 11-24-2019
Like Musk and other companies aren't going to design a toolbox to fit in the back of these trucks...
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:15 PM 11-24-2019
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
Like Musk and other companies aren't going to design a toolbox to fit in the back of these trucks...
So an owner's only option will be a Tesla toolbox. Which will still be a pain to access with those silly slanted bed rails.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 05:25 PM 11-24-2019
how are the mexicans I pick up at home depot supposed to sit on those bed rails when i hire them to put on a roof and pay them in Wendy's hamburgers
[Reply]
TribalElder 07:10 PM 11-24-2019
Only musktards believe this thing is anything besides a giant piece of shit

They posted a video of this pulling a 2wd f150 backwards
[Reply]
aturnis 07:46 PM 11-25-2019
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Only musktards believe this thing is anything besides a giant piece of shit

They posted a video of this pulling a 2wd f150 backwards
Hopefully we get to find out.

[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:54 PM 11-26-2019
https://www.barstoolsports.com/iowa/...yCnPEXxFPCQGfM

According to Forbes, Tesla share price fell about 6 percent following the Cybertruck debut; this caused Musk’s net worth to drop to $768 million, leaving him with $23.6 billion.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:58 PM 11-26-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
https://www.barstoolsports.com/iowa/...yCnPEXxFPCQGfM

According to Forbes, Tesla share price fell about 6 percent following the Cybertruck debut; this caused Musk’s net worth to drop to $768 million, leaving him with $23.6 billion.
I really despise articles like that. While factually true, he gains or loses millions of dollars every day. I've circled the drop they're talking about. It's hardly even notable compared to the long-term fluctuations.

[Reply]
MagicHef 01:01 PM 11-26-2019
Hopefully we get to find out.

Apparently not, Ford backed out:

"However, when asked if Tesla had reached out to Ford to set up a competition, a Ford spokeswoman said "Sunny’s tweet was tongue in cheek to point out the absurdity of Tesla’s video, nothing more.""

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-no...of-war-rematch
[Reply]
notorious 01:59 PM 11-26-2019
https://www.businessinsider.com/elec...-pounds-2019-7

Heh, Ford has a NORMAL functioning electric truck.

If Chevy/Dodge/Ford builds a normal pickup that has an electric power train Tesla can get fucked.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 44
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up