ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 530 of 3903
« First < 30430480520526527528529530 53153253353454058063010301530 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:21 PM 03-20-2020
Posting that crap without a verifiable source should get you banned.
jesus christ, relax

just passing along a rumor, it's not like i passed it off as news
[Reply]
Stanley Nickels 02:22 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Somehow every civilian in China, Japan, Vietnam, S. Korea and a bunch of other Asian countries already have surgical masks. In Japan everyone still has enough to not even reuse them after a day. How can we be that far behind?
...Because they already had them before this crisis. Not only did the average person already wear them-- and ostensibly, they'd have a box of them at home-- it was more heavily stocked because it was part of their cultures to wear masks.
[Reply]
Stanley Nickels 02:22 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
jesus christ, relax

Yeah, perfect thread for it.
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:23 PM 03-20-2020
jesus christ, relax

The hell you didn't.

Do it again and you'll only be able to follow this story in DC.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:23 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Suzzer--this was in the paper today
N95 shortage is a whole different story. Those protect the wearer. Surgical masks protect the wearer to some degree - but mostly protect others from he wearer (your breath droplets get stuck in the mask instead of settling on things - doesn't have to be perfect but even knocking down asymptomatic spread 75% is huge).

I get why the US doesn't want to push for masks yet because everyone will just try to hoard all the N95 masks. But they need to tell everyone to cover their face in public.
[Reply]
Donger 02:24 PM 03-20-2020
jesus christ, relax

No, you're either being a dick, or you've gone off the deep end without bothering to look into what you're posting.

Neither is appropriate in this thread.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:24 PM 03-20-2020
2nd case has been identified at my wife's work. She outed herself via Facebook to let people know who may have been in proximity to her. It's actually someone I've met before.

The kicker, I wish I was joking, she's young and over the weekend was volunteering to pick up supplies for anyone that couldn't. She was notified on Monday that she may have been in contact with someone who tested positive and on Tuesday was feeling sluggish and tired with a slight cough. Because she is diabetic :-) she took herself in for a test and was notified within 24 hours that she was positive. Says been at home and says she's already feeling better today.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 02:24 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Freaking masks man. We need to be cranking those things about by the millions and requiring them to go out in public until this thing is over.

Doesn't have to be N95, just surgical. It can't be that hard to make surgical masks can it?

Yes, 3M starting upping production in JANUARY...They actually could have gotten them to healthcare workers faster if not for the plaintiff's bar and legislative changes now make this acceptable:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/3m-dou...irus-outbreak/

Originally Posted by :
Minnesota-based company 3M has doubled its production of coronavirus-protecting N95 respirator masks over the last two months – to a rate of more than 1.1 billion a year, or almost 100 million a month, according to a report.

“This pandemic is affecting us all, and we are doing all we can to support public health and especially our first-responders and those impacted by this global health crisis,” chairman and CEO Mike Roman said, according to Street Insider.

“We are mobilizing all available resources and rapidly increasing output of critical supplies healthcare workers in the United States and around the world need to help protect their lives as they treat others,” he added.

In the US, 3M currently churns out over 400 million N95 respirators annually. It also manufactures them in Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America, according to the news site.

Mayor Bill de Blasio on Friday sent federal Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar a list of supplies — including 3 million N95 masks — needed by early April to keep the city’s first responders and hospitals equipped.

The industrial-strength masks are usually worn by drywall workers and painters to protect themselves from fine airborne particles. The N95 designation means they can block at least 95 percent of particles in the air.

On Thursday, Vice President Mike Pence said new legislation will allow tens of millions more protective masks to reach health care workers, but it remained unclear whether total production will meet the demand, according to the Washington Post.

New legislation provides manufacturers of N95 masks protection against lawsuits when selling to health care workers, Pence said.

The change means 3M will be allowed to sell 420 million masks a year to the American health care sector, he said, according to the newspaper.

Robert Kadlec, an assistant secretary at the Department of Health and Human Services, said at a recent Senate hearing that the US could need 3.5 billion N95s during a serious pandemic, the paper reported.

Medical workers in some parts of the country have had to reuse masks or even improvise their own amid shortages caused by unprecedented demand and the shutdown of Chinese factories.

[Reply]
suzzer99 02:25 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I think surgical masks help infected people from spreading it more than people from getting it, once they get damp they lose effectiveness, also doesn't protect your eyes vs droplet.
Yes this is what I've been saying and why we need to require them like other countries are doing, and is largely the culture in Asia during flu season anyway. In Vietnam I guess people mostly wear masks for pollution. But it still works to slow the spread.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:26 PM 03-20-2020
The hell you didn't.

Do it again and you'll be following this story in DC.
Thank you for the clarification.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:27 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP:
Why would anyone believe the Chinese government they’ve lied this whole time and trying to cover it up.
This is coming from direct on the ground reports from citizens as to what lockdown looks like. It's not disputed. People have family in other countries. The govt can't just lie about something so easily disproven. My boss's parents live in Chongqing. She told me what the less restrictive lockdown looks like there.

Regarding the bigger picture stuff - I’ve read a few unbiased epidemiologists or other experts who say they think China is being pretty truthful for once right now (after their initial attempt at cover up/denial).

Seems like unless you’re going to somehow try to cover up massive deaths (like Iran seems to be doing) ultimately lying is only going to delay the inevitable and make it worse.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:29 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
We have moved patient zero all the way back to 11/7 now... So for 2 whole months China let its citizens fly all around the world.
Where did you see this?
[Reply]
smithandrew051 02:30 PM 03-20-2020
The Senators and Kings face-off on March 11 was the last professional sports game we saw for the foreseeable future in the United States. The last time there were no games in the four major sports in the month of April was 1883, per @EliasSports.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:32 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels:
...Because they already had them before this crisis. Not only did the average person already wear them-- and ostensibly, they'd have a box of them at home-- it was more heavily stocked because it was part of their cultures to wear masks.
Exactly. But if there are literally billions of surgical masks sitting in people's homes in Asia right now - they can't be that hard to make locally right? Have we lost all ability to manufacture basic things?

Also the culture part is what we need to start working on. Just sell it as temporary, I think that will make the pill easier to swallow. But in reality it may become a normal thing during cold & flu season like it is in Asia.
[Reply]
stumppy 02:33 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
2nd case has been identified at my wife's work. She outed herself via Facebook to let people know who may have been in proximity to her. It's actually someone I've met before.

The kicker, I wish I was joking, she's young and over the weekend was volunteering to pick up supplies for anyone that couldn't. She was notified on Monday that she may have been in contact with someone who tested positive and on Tuesday was feeling sluggish and tired with a slight cough. Because she is diabetic :-) she took herself in for a test and was notified within 24 hours that she was positive. Says been at home and says she's already feeling better today.
Hope she continues to feel better.
[Reply]
Page 530 of 3903
« First < 30430480520526527528529530 53153253353454058063010301530 > Last »
Up