ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
InChiefsHeaven 08:19 AM 05-17-2019
Just opened a new exhibit today:

\https://www.omaha.com/living/zoo/hen...8b21352e1.html

Say what you want about Omaha, but we have the best zoo in the country hands down, and maybe even the world. If you haven't seen it, it's worth the visit. Plan on a day at least, it's friggin' huge. Check out their site:

http://www.omahazoo.com/exhibits

*InChiefsHell is a citizen of Nebraska but was not paid in any way for this endorsement. He just really thinks the zoo is the shit*
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:58 AM 05-20-2019
According to 2019 10Best on USA Today, it is ranked number 2...behind the Cincinatti Zoo...so for whatever that's worth...

https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-zoo-2019/
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 09:19 AM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by SDChiefs:
San Diego says hi.
One of the most overrated places. I heard everyone talk about the San Diego zoo, but it didn’t come close to the Omaha zoo. The pandas were the only thing that made it more unique. Those won’t be around much longer though from the sound of it. Renting Pandas for that much money was a joke anyways.
[Reply]
SDChiefs 09:22 AM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
One of the most overrated places. I heard everyone talk about the San Diego zoo, but it didn’t come close to the Omaha zoo. The pandas were the only thing that made it more unique. Those won’t be around much longer though from the sound of it. Renting Pandas for that much money was a joke anyways.
They were breading the pandas, not renting them. Plus it lives up to the hype. There is a reason it is considered by many as the best in the world. I had not heard of the Omaha zoo until this thread. It's not even close.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 09:26 AM 05-20-2019
They were breading the pandas, not renting them. Plus it lives up to the hype. There is a reason it is considered by many as the best in the world. I had not heard of the Omaha zoo until this thread. It's not even close.
You can tell you’ve never been to both. No one that has would say “it’s not even close” You also obviously don’t know much about the government of China and pandas if you think those things were free.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo...1635142229/amp
[Reply]
SDChiefs 09:37 AM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
You can tell you’ve never been to both. No one that has would say “it’s not even close” You also obviously don’t know much about the government of China and pandas if you think those things were free.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo...1635142229/amp
I'm not arguing with you. Google worlds best zoos. San Diego is the first to come up. I've already said that I haven't even heard of the Omaha zoo until this thread. Clearly I've never been there. Nor do I plan to ever go to Omaha. You can google as well as to what the purpose of having the pandas was. Hint: it was to breed them.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 09:54 AM 05-20-2019
I'm not arguing with you. Google worlds best zoos. San Diego is the first to come up. I've already said that I haven't even heard of the Omaha zoo until this thread. Clearly I've never been there. Nor do I plan to ever go to Omaha. You can google as well as to what the purpose of having the pandas was. Hint: it was to breed them.
Yeah definitely not an argument. I’m very aware of what they were doing with the pandas just by the growing number of pandas in the exhibit. I really don’t need google to explain something my parents explained to me before that website was even created. I’m just trying to make the bullshit trade of pandas more aware to everyone else. I know a few zoologists and none of them want pandas in the country because it takes away from funds that could be spent conserving so many more animals.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 11:48 AM 05-20-2019
Again, it's subjective, but to say "It's not even close" betrays an ignorance of what you are talking about. It's more than close. Look into it if you want, but don't go all West Coast on me here. That you have never heard of it makes sense, it's in Omaha. But a little looking into it would show that it is a world class zoo, considered by MANY to be superior to San Diego. Just sayin'...
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:41 PM 05-20-2019
I went for a run this weekend that took me past the entrance to the Denver Zoo. There were half a dozen people standing in front of it with protest signs that essentially said that the animals were being held prisoner. I think one of the signs said something like, "Confinement is not conservation."

It's kind of an interesting debate in my mind, because yeah, the animals in zoos are being confined. They're not running free in the grassland or the ocean or the swamp or whatever. One can argue that even if they're getting regular food and health care and other things that aren't available to animals living in the wild, this is still not what the animal would prefer. (As a human, would you take this deal?)

But on the other hand, get real. If not for zoos, I think a lot of species would be at greater risk. I presume that zoos do good work in understanding animals that helps conservation in the wild, and I figure they're vital with keeping some species alive that are endangered. Plus, I suspect that most people would never see these animals outside a zoo, so there'a public relations, awareness, and fundraising element that zoos provide.

Thoughts? I guess one could argue that the current animals in zoos are sacrificing their freedom for the good of their species. I'm not sure that they're that thoughtful, though. I'm pro-zoo in the big scheme of things.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 12:53 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I went for a run this weekend that took past the entrance to the Denver Zoo. There were half a dozen people standing in front of it with protest signs that essentially said that the animals were being held prisoner. I think one of the signs said something like, "Confinement is not conservation."

It's kind of an interesting debate in my mind, because yeah, the animals in zoos are being confined. They're not running free in the grassland or the ocean or the swamp or whatever. One can argue that even if they're getting regular food and health care and other things that aren't available to animals living in the wild, this is still not what the animal would prefer. (As a human, would you take this deal?)

But on the other hand, get real. If not for zoos, I think a lot of species would be at greater risk. I presume that zoos do good work in understanding animals that helps conservation in the wild, and I figure they're vital with keeping some species alive that are endangered. Plus, I suspect that most people would never see these animals outside a zoo, so there'a public relations, awareness, and fundraising element that zoos provide.

Thoughts? I guess one could argue that the current animals in zoos are sacrificing their freedom for the good of their species. I'm not sure that they're that thoughtful, though. I'm pro-zoo in the big scheme of things.
In the context of Henry Doorly (and I'm sure most major zoos) the animals are not in cages per se. They are in habitats, albeit artificial. It does indeed raise awareness of animals, educates the public about them, and conservation efforts are strengthened by them. I'd say that most animals wouldn't "prefer" it (if it's possible for an animal that runs on instinct can prefer anything) but they adapt to it and are fine. All they know is that they are fed, cared for, and they have a pretty nice little spot to live in. I don't think they know they are in a zoo nor do they pine for the wilderness. JMO.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 12:54 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I went for a run this weekend that took past the entrance to the Denver Zoo.
Oh, and there is a Broncos joke in here somewhere...
[Reply]
RollChiefsRoll 01:00 PM 05-20-2019
Pandas aren't that unique, are they? When I lived in Memphis they had them at the Memphis Zoo (which was also pretty badass, by the way).
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:19 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
In the context of Henry Doorly (and I'm sure most major zoos) the animals are not in cages per se. They are in habitats, albeit artificial. It does indeed raise awareness of animals, educates the public about them, and conservation efforts are strengthened by them. I'd say that most animals wouldn't "prefer" it (if it's possible for an animal that runs on instinct can prefer anything) but they adapt to it and are fine. All they know is that they are fed, cared for, and they have a pretty nice little spot to live in. I don't think they know they are in a zoo nor do they pine for the wilderness. JMO.
That's pretty much where I stand. And that's a good point about them not knowing they're in a zoo. I guess if they captured a wild animal it would know the difference, but it would also probably just assume that it woke up in a weird box canyon that has good food. But an animal born in the zoo would just assume that this is where they live.
[Reply]
tooge 01:34 PM 05-20-2019
Does Omaha still have Peone (sp) park? Went there as a kid when we went to the zoo up in Omaha. It was a really fun place for a kid back in the 70's. Looking back, it was probably white trash central. But that is what I was as a kid, so.....
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:21 PM 05-20-2019
They were breading the pandas,
I prefer my pandas grilled.
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:23 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by tooge:
Does Omaha still have Peone (sp) park? Went there as a kid when we went to the zoo up in Omaha. It was a really fun place for a kid back in the 70's. Looking back, it was probably white trash central. But that is what I was as a kid, so.....
Peony Park closed in 1994.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peony_Park
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up