ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 11
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Pellet Grills
Buehler445 10:13 AM 05-08-2019
My old LP grill is to the point where it needs parts or needs to go. The wife is thinking a pellet grill might be better for her to use.

I thought there was a thread on here about them, but the one I could dig up is over a decade old.

What are you guys running these days? Pros/Cons?

I don't know much about anything except Traegers and people I know have had trouble with them.

I'd PROBABLY be leaving it outside so I'd need a cover for it.
[Reply]
Dunit35 01:45 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
I am about to blow your mind, Dunit. Look by the dial of your Traeger, there will be a little recessed “reset” button. Grab an ink pen or I use my thermometer, and push it. That sets the “p” number, which controls the speed at which your grill distributes pellets. Set that ****er to p-0 and you will get to around 460-475.
Guess I’ll mess with it. I don’t care about a sear but I know some people do.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:50 PM 05-08-2019
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:54 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
I had a Louisiana Grill. Fuck that thing with irrigation pipe. It jammed, set on fire, you name it.

I went with a Traeger. We grill 3-4 times a week, smoke at least once, and I have never had a problem over the last 3-4 years. My dad has a first gen Traeger that’s rusted out, and it still works well just fine.

I don’t know why people say they have problems with them. We’re just lucky I guess.
My parents have one. They've burned through like 4 igniters a control unit and at least one auger motor.

My buddy has one and has better luck but he burned out a temperature controller.

Originally Posted by SAUTO:
go buy a couple and let me know which one you like best. I'm thinking of going this route too
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
I think you need a yoder beuhler...
SAUTO, you must love to spend my money :-)
[Reply]
tooge 02:17 PM 05-08-2019
I'm going to pull the trigger on the Grilla (grillagrills.com). I like the small footprint. I like that it drops the pellets into the fire tub instead of pushing them through which is a cleanout issue to me. I like the sliding lid feature. The round shape renders no hot spots, and moving it around is a breeze. Reviews say it gets up to 500 degrees, and it has a removable plate if searing beyond that is needed. Plus, it's got plenty of space on it for me with it's second rack. Finally, a great warranty and made here in the US. Amazingribs.com and several other smoking sites have all given it great marks.
[Reply]
ChiefsHawk 02:19 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Have you tried any of their rubs? I've tried the Heifer Dust and the Front Row Master Blend. That Heifer Dust is amazing. I just won a prize pack from them and getting one of all their rubs, but what I've had so far is great.
I have not. I'll have to do that when I order the cold smoker
[Reply]
srvy 02:20 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I was thinking about getting a GMG because I have heard very good things about them so I went to a local store the other day that has the Daniel Boone and my first thought was how flimsy it was. I passed so I am still looking. I am considering the Pit Boss Pro Smoker that Lowe's has.
Yeah my lowes has a fairly good display of Pit Boss from entry to deluxe. They have upped their game with build quality and heavier gauge steel than I remembered the first I seen them many years ago at Sams Club.

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SE entry level for a couple years now I have no regrets but I got it for a song on Walmart closeout. I haven't had the problems that BrianBusby speaks of. But its my first pellet grill maybe I got lucky or just have nothing to compare it to. I do know I have a lot of camp chef gear and quality wise its what Coleman used to be when the old man was alive. Just mt 2 cent's.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:42 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by tooge:
I'm going to pull the trigger on the Grilla (grillagrills.com). I like the small footprint. I like that it drops the pellets into the fire tub instead of pushing them through which is a cleanout issue to me. I like the sliding lid feature. The round shape renders no hot spots, and moving it around is a breeze. Reviews say it gets up to 500 degrees, and it has a removable plate if searing beyond that is needed. Plus, it's got plenty of space on it for me with it's second rack. Finally, a great warranty and made here in the US. Amazingribs.com and several other smoking sites have all given it great marks.

Wow I like that one. After reading this thread I was leading toward the Rec Tec Trailblazer but now...
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:46 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Yeah my lowes has a fairly good display of Pit Boss from entry to deluxe. They have upped their game with build quality and heavier gauge steel than I remembered the first I seen them many years ago at Sams Club.

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SE entry level for a couple years now I have no regrets but I got it for a song on Walmart closeout. I haven't had the problems that BrianBusby speaks of. But its my first pellet grill maybe I got lucky or just have nothing to compare it to. I do know I have a lot of camp chef gear and quality wise its what Coleman used to be when the old man was alive. Just mt 2 cent's.

Pit Boss has pretty good reviews and I only really need a smoker since I have a griddle now which I use exclusively. But these pellet grills are intriguing me.
[Reply]
tooge 02:55 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Pit Boss has pretty good reviews and I only really need a smoker since I have a griddle now which I use exclusively. But these pellet grills are intriguing me.
I was always the purist. I did the comp bbq thing for 20 years. I own a WSM, and believe that even today, it's the best pure smoker on the market. Now that I've done it that way all these years, I want the ease of the pellet system. With all the time I've spend managing temps, fires, and wood, I'm no longer worried about people thinking I'm not a purist or that I'm taking shortcuts. I'll keep my old weber kettle around just because, but just like VCR's and cassettes, I think something better is just available these days.
[Reply]
srvy 03:08 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by tooge:
I was always the purist. I did the comp bbq thing for 20 years. I own a WSM, and believe that even today, it's the best pure smoker on the market. Now that I've done it that way all these years, I want the ease of the pellet system. With all the time I've spend managing temps, fires, and wood, I'm no longer worried about people thinking I'm not a purist or that I'm taking shortcuts. I'll keep my old weber kettle around just because, but just like VCR's and cassettes, I think something better is just available these days.
Me to I use the pellet as a convenience to grill some chicken quikly for me and the kids. Ill be damned if ill smoke my 60 buck packer in it though. I trust my WSM to not fail me and give a great smokey flavor.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:09 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Me to I use the pellet as a convenience to grill some chicken quikly for me and the kids. Ill be damned if ill smoke my 60 buck packer in it though. I trust my WSM to not fail me and give a great smokey flavor.
Hmm. My brisket came out great on the RT. Ribs came out even better.
[Reply]
srvy 05:08 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Hmm. My brisket came out great on the RT. Ribs came out even better.
I am a creature of habit I stick with what I know works for me. I have never been satisfied with flavor of the smoke with pellets. When I first got the pellet grill I tried every pellet under the sun and none gave me the flavor that charcoal and wood chunks do so when I get serious its the wsm or my box smoker with wood chips or chunk.
[Reply]
theoldcoach 05:19 PM 05-08-2019
Love my Traeger. And by adjusting the p stop I can get 475 degrees out of it. Rarely do.....or want to. But I can if necessary.
[Reply]
notorious 06:03 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by R Clark:
Thanks a lot for heads ! Mine gets hot enough to leave grill marks, but could use more heat.according to temp gauge it gets to 430 . Haven’t checked it to see if accurate or not
It works well the other way, too. Sometimes smoking just doesn’t want to go to the temp I want, so I’ll adjust it to a slower cycle.
[Reply]
notorious 06:05 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
My parents have one. They've burned through like 4 igniters a control unit and at least one auger motor.

My buddy has one and has better luck but he burned out a temperature controller.

SAUTO, you must love to spend my money :-)
Jesus. I guess we are just lucky.

Oh, igniters are similar in all smokers. Always have one on hand when they go out.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 11
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up