ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 11
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Pellet Grills
Buehler445 10:13 AM 05-08-2019
My old LP grill is to the point where it needs parts or needs to go. The wife is thinking a pellet grill might be better for her to use.

I thought there was a thread on here about them, but the one I could dig up is over a decade old.

What are you guys running these days? Pros/Cons?

I don't know much about anything except Traegers and people I know have had trouble with them.

I'd PROBABLY be leaving it outside so I'd need a cover for it.
[Reply]
R Clark 12:27 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
I am about to blow your mind, Dunit. Look by the dial of your Traeger, there will be a little recessed “reset” button. Grab an ink pen or I use my thermometer, and push it. That sets the “p” number, which controls the speed at which your grill distributes pellets. Set that ****er to p-0 and you will get to around 460-475.
Thanks a lot for heads ! Mine gets hot enough to leave grill marks, but could use more heat.according to temp gauge it gets to 430 . Haven’t checked it to see if accurate or not
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:08 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefsHawk:
I would highly suggest looking at a Rec Tec. They can get up to 500 degrees which most pg cant. Wife and I got the bull last year and it is very well built. We love the thing

https://www.rectecgrills.com/bull-rt...-pellet-grill/
I just bought a Rec Tec Stampede maybe a month ago. Love this thing already. I did a ton of research deciding, and I think the RT is the Cadillac of pellet grills.

And the get hotter than 500. The dial goes to "low" (around 180) and 5 degree increments from 200-500, then "high" (I've gotten mine around 550).

They're built like tanks, and the warranty is good. Stampede is 4 years, Bull is 6.

And support is outstanding. I know a guy who had a problem on a weekend and got a call from the owner. They're in Augusta, GA, and just the best people to work with.
[Reply]
ChiefsHawk 01:13 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I just bought a Rec Tec Stampede maybe a month ago. Love this thing already. I did a ton of research deciding, and I think the RT is the Cadillac of pellet grills.

And the get hotter than 500. The dial goes to "low" (around 180) and 5 degree increments from 200-500, then "high" (I've gotten mine around 550).

They're built like tanks, and the warranty is good. Stampede is 4 years, Bull is 6.

And support is outstanding. I know a guy who had a problem on a weekend and got a call from the owner. They're in Augusta, GA, and just the best people to work with.
I'll never buy another brand again that's for sure
[Reply]
chop 01:17 PM 05-08-2019
I would highly suggest looking at a Rec Tec. They can get up to 500 degrees which most pg cant. Wife and I got the bull last year and it is very well built. We love the thing

I bought a Rec Tec around Christmas time, so I haven't used it a whole lot yet. However, I did use it a couple of times when the weather was around 20 degrees, and the rec tec kept a consistent temp during the long cook. The brisket turned out pretty good too.
[Reply]
Shaid 01:23 PM 05-08-2019
The Woodwind is the one I've been considering for a while now. It has a searbox, etc. on it which I like.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind.ht...ndGrills-Exact

[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:28 PM 05-08-2019
I don't think I'd bother with a CampChef again.
[Reply]
Dayze 01:32 PM 05-08-2019
I'm buying a grill in the near future; debating on getting a grill and a smoker; or just getting a WSM.

I like the convenience of a gas grill so I might do gas grill and get the WSM.
Hmmm.
[Reply]
Shaid 01:33 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I don't think I'd bother with a CampChef again.
Bad experience with their pellet grills?
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:34 PM 05-08-2019
I was thinking about getting a GMG because I have heard very good things about them so I went to a local store the other day that has the Daniel Boone and my first thought was how flimsy it was. I passed so I am still looking. I am considering the Pit Boss Pro Smoker that Lowe's has.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:34 PM 05-08-2019
I'll never buy another brand again that's for sure
Have you tried any of their rubs? I've tried the Heifer Dust and the Front Row Master Blend. That Heifer Dust is amazing. I just won a prize pack from them and getting one of all their rubs, but what I've had so far is great.
[Reply]
Sorce 01:34 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:

Yeah your experience with it convinced me to go that way. I have been extremely happy. One big difference between the GMG, Rec Tec, Yoder and Grilla are they all have a PID controller. This allows the grills to hold a much tighter temp range than the others. I also liked the full SS inside of the RecTec.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:37 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Sorce:
Yeah your experience with it convinced me to go that way. I have been extremely happy. One big difference between the GMG, Rec Tec, Yoder and Grilla are they all have a PID controller. This allows the grills to hold a much tighter temp range than the others. I also liked the full SS inside of the RecTec.
Yeah, I've been super impressed. The app has a temp tracker graph. Overnight when I did a brisket, it never strayed more than 2 degrees for about 10 hours.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:41 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Shaid:
Bad experience with their pellet grills?
There's another user that seemed to love his, but I didn't care for it. The one I had ate through pellets like crazy and I ended up finding out it was because the temps weren't being kept consistent so it was overcompensating in hopes of keeping the grill at whatever I had it set at. The hopper design is also a little odd and it won't use up all the pellets in the hopper unless you open it up towards the end and keep scraping them towards the feeder.

I've heard a pretty mixed bag of reviews on all the models. One person said they kept getting bad probe after bad probe, but CS was happy to keep sending another to them forever and ever.
[Reply]
cron912 01:42 PM 05-08-2019

Agreed, do yourself a favor and get a Rec Tec.

Then when I come back to visit my parents you can grill me up something good. :-)
[Reply]
ChiefsHawk 01:45 PM 05-08-2019
I've never heard a bad thing about Rec Tec. IF something goes wrong they'll get it corrected. Plus a 6 year warranty is amazing
[Reply]
Page 3 of 11
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up