ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Let's talk CB's
Couch-Potato 07:43 AM 03-27-2019
Kiper has us taking Greedy Williams in the 1st, who else is worth a look at CB in the early rounds?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/in...tions-rankings
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:02 PM 04-13-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Umm what? I’m not saying that you don’t go get one if you have the opportunity or that they’re not valuable.

I’m simply saying they don’t grow on trees and expecting the Chiefs to go from what we had last year to a guy like Gilmore with the FA’s and draft options that are available is very unrealistic.

If you don’t have one of those guys, you can shoot to have 3 solid to good ones and not be doomed like you’re suggesting.

Look at that Ravens D last year. They didn’t have a corner of that caliber. Perfect example that it can work.
You said I was "too fixated" on landing a #1 corner, which is stupid because of course you absolutely need a top end cover corner. If you don't have one than you need to turn over every possible stone to look for one.

You tried to twist it into some comparison to 2018 and it's not about that. It's about having a good enough secondary, which it's not. It's really that simple.

Breeland isn't, wasn't and never will be a #1 and you can't try to execute exotic shit to create pressure if MR BIGCHEST is fucking his shit up in less than 2 seconds from the snap.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:46 PM 04-13-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
You said I was "too fixated" on landing a #1 corner, which is stupid because of course you absolutely need a top end cover corner. If you don't have one than you need to turn over every possible stone to look for one.

You tried to twist it into some comparison to 2018 and it's not about that. It's about having a good enough secondary, which it's not. It's really that simple.

Breeland isn't, wasn't and never will be a #1 and you can't try to execute exotic shit to create pressure if MR BIGCHEST is fucking his shit up in less than 2 seconds from the snap.
I meant that you’re too fixated on the idea of finding a Ramsey/Peterson/Gillmore caliber corner in one offseason, not to mention one with a weak selection of corners in free agency and the draft. The corner group and the defense as a whole can still get much better without adding one of those caliber corners, but you act as if it can’t.

And I like how you ignored my point about the Ravens that proves my point. Marlon Humphrey, their best corner, is pretty damn good, but he’s definitely not elite. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Fuller can get back to that level in 2019, because he certainly was in 2017 and he’s probably going to have a big contract year.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:32 PM 04-13-2019

Breeland isn't, wasn't and never will be a #1 and you can't try to execute exotic shit to create pressure if MR BIGCHEST is ****ing his shit up in less than 2 seconds from the snap.
Where the hell do you think Veach is supposed to find a top end corner?
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:38 PM 04-13-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Where the hell do you think Veach is supposed to find a top end corner?
Right now? Either hope the Cardinals realize they have a long rebuild ahead after selecting Murray and agree to trade to trade PP or probably double up on the position early and hope to god one of them will be ready to step up by Week 1.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:48 PM 04-13-2019
Taking two corners early in a weak CB draft?

No thanks.

You definitely take one, but there’s too much talent and needs in other areas. I have no problem taking another on day 3 though.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 12:26 AM 04-14-2019
Absolutely. Ward is still pretty unproven, Fuller is on the last year of his deal and Breeland is on a one year deal.

If there's a good value at the end of the 3rd round, I'd really consider it.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:30 AM 04-14-2019
Absolutely. Ward is still pretty unproven, Fuller is on the last year of his deal and Breeland is on a one year deal.

If there's a good value at the end of the 3rd round, I'd really consider it.
yeah, well, so, you're not saying anything different than anyone else.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 12:39 AM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
yeah, well, so, you're not saying anything different than anyone else.
No, because I'm willing to say how #1 cornerback Breeland will go. He'll make the battle for #2 heated, which is great but I really hope we can figure out a good answer for the 1 spot.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:52 AM 04-14-2019
No, because I'm willing to say how #1 cornerback Breeland will go. He'll make the battle for #2 heated, which is great but I really hope we can figure out a good answer for the 1 spot.
man, nobody's saying we're set.

But as you've said yourself, it doesn't look like there's a sure-fire #1 type elite corner in this draft.

There's also not one in free agency; so much so that medicore guys like Steve Nelson got big contracts.

Everybody keeps saying, "trade for Patrick Peterson!" But The Cards aren't shopping him. Or Ramsey. So that's all pie in the sky bullshit.

I think as a rule I would draft at least one CB in the first 3 rounds every year, no matter what because the position is so expensive to man.

I just think you're beating a drum and scoffing at people who aren't really disagreeing with you so much as saying, "yeah, well, what else can we do about it but draft a guy or two?"
[Reply]
RunKC 12:25 PM 04-14-2019
Byron Murphy is the only CB in this class that is capable of being a #1 corner and even he is questionable.

There aren’t any shut down caliber corners available no matter how much you scream for Veach to get one.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 12:33 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Byron Murphy is the only CB in this class that is capable of being a #1 corner and even he is questionable.

There aren’t any shut down caliber corners available no matter how much you scream for Veach to get one.
In a press man heavy scheme, I think Greedy would have a shot to be a true shutdown guy. But I don’t think that’s where KC is headed.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:38 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
In a press man heavy scheme, I think Greedy would have a shot to be a true shutdown guy. But I don’t think that’s where KC is headed.
I agree. I think they'll play a LOT of zone.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 12:43 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
man, nobody's saying we're set.

But as you've said yourself, it doesn't look like there's a sure-fire #1 type elite corner in this draft.

There's also not one in free agency; so much so that medicore guys like Steve Nelson got big contracts.

Everybody keeps saying, "trade for Patrick Peterson!" But The Cards aren't shopping him. Or Ramsey. So that's all pie in the sky bullshit.

I think as a rule I would draft at least one CB in the first 3 rounds every year, no matter what because the position is so expensive to man.

I just think you're beating a drum and scoffing at people who aren't really disagreeing with you so much as saying, "yeah, well, what else can we do about it but draft a guy or two?"
Nelson got a big contract? I don't think he did as well as he was expecting.

The general theory is they're probably fine with the current group of cb's and well they aren't.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:48 PM 04-14-2019
Nelson got a big contract? I don't think he did as well as he was expecting.

The general theory is they're probably fine with the current group of cb's and well they aren't.
general theory from who? I don't think that's a consensus at all.

I think the overall offseason thus far has put us in a situation where we don't have to reach for any position out of desperation, but I don't think anyone's satisfied at CB, or DE, or LB, or OL, or WR, or TE.

It's also true that NO team is full of top flight talent and depth at all positions. We're not in terrible shape, but we need to upgrade talent and depth at a lot of positions. There are question marks. That is true of any team in the league, though. Acting like it's some KC specific shortcoming isn't realistic.
[Reply]
Kiimo 10:41 AM 04-16-2019
I'm suddenly EXTREMELY interested in Bunting in the second round. Check out what Arrowhead Pride figured out.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/...ess-in-the-nfl

Originally Posted by :
So what does this mean for the 2019 draft class? We don’t yet know who will be drafted from the group that participated in the NFL Scouting Combine this year to identify all of the players from this group of data, but looking at the combine numbers shows seven players that are identified as Tier 1 athletic testers in this draft class. Only 2017’s draft class contained more players that hit the mark with eight.

Two members of this year’s 25 days of Draftmas list are in that top tier: Sean Bunting and Corey Ballentine. Another couple players discussed often — Justin Layne and Rock Ya-Sin — are part of the second tier. Some of the hotter names for Chiefs fans reside in the third tier in Byron Murphy, Deandre Baker and Trayvon Mullen. Finally, tier four contains names like Saivion Smith and Hamp Cheevers.
Originally Posted by :
4. SEAN BUNTING | Central Michigan 6003 | 195 lbs. | JR. Macomb, Mich. (Chippewa Valley) 6/19/1997 (age 21.86) #3

BACKGROUND: A no-star recruit out of high school, Sean Bunting was a three-sport letterman at Chippewa Valley, starring in baseball, basketball and football. He
played both ways as a wide receiver and cornerback, but was better known for his offensive output, posting 51 catches for 873 yards and school-record 10
touchdowns as a senior. Bunting earned Honorable Mention All-State honors as a senior captain and led Chippewa Valley to the 2014 district championship. He was
recruited by Division-II programs like Ferris State, Saginaw Valley State and Northwood, but wanted to play Division-I and Central Michigan came through with an
offer a month before signing day. However, when Dan Enos resigned his post as head coach, Bunting was left in limbo. On signing day, he was set to sign with
Saginaw Valley State, but held off and took one more run at Central Michigan. He visited new head coach John Bonamego, who offered him the opportunity to
grayshirt. Bunting spent the 2015 football season helping at his high school and officially enrolled in January 2016. He spent time practicing at safety and wide
receiver before moving to cornerback full-time during his freshman year. Bunting chose to skip his senior season and enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT NOTES
2015: Grayshirted
2016: (12/1) 18 0.0 0.0 0 7 2
2017: (13/13) 49 0.5 0.0 2 10 5
2018: (12/11) 37 3.0 0.0 2 7 2 First Team All-MAC
Total: (37/25) 104 3.5 0.0 4 24 9
HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 6003 195 31 3/4 09 5/8 76 3/4 4.42 2.59 1.51 41 1/2 10’06” - - 14 (no shuttle or 3-cone – choice)
PRO DAY - - - - - 4.20 6.89 - (stood on Combine runs, jumps, bench)

STRENGTHS: Agile-footed athlete with swivel hips and balanced start/stop quickness…long-speed to recover and carry receivers vertically…above-average
height/length for the position…matches up well vs. size on the outside…competes at the catch point and does receiver-like things in coverage…always ball
searching…anticipates route breaks and recognizes play indicators…gets physical early in the down and takes pride in playing chippy…serviceable run defender…his
coaches say he embraces leadership roles.

WEAKNESSES: Skinny limbs and lacks ideal body mass…marginal play strength and spends too much time hung up on blocks…impatient feet in press, allowing
receivers to immediately gain a step…wasn’t asked to backpedal in CMU’s scheme…flexible body type, but tends to play upright in off-coverage instead of using his
sink to drive…plays the man downfield, but can be late to find the ball…hands-on mentality will lead to flags.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Central Michigan, Bunting lined up at left cornerback for the Chippewas, playing both press-man and zone coverages. He recorded
multiple interceptions in each of his three seasons, adding several impact plays on special teams, including a blocked punt and 60-yard scoop-and-score after a
blocked field goal. Bunting has the athleticism to run better routes than the receiver and although his undisciplined mechanics lead to mistakes, he is usually in
position to recover. Despite his thin build, he competes with a cover-and-clobber mentality throughout the lifespan of the route and can eliminate the mismatch
advantage larger pass-catchers usually have vs. cornerbacks. Overall, Bunting needs to get stronger and become a more technically-sound player, but he plays loose
and suffocates the catch point, projecting as borderline starter as a rookie and full-time starter in year two.
GRADE: 1st-2nd Round (#29 overall)

I think this guy could be a good attitude, tougher Marcus Peters in the second round. My friend who went to Central Michigan said teams avoided running and throwing his direction most of last year. Numbers are encouraging on him and stats are misleading.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up