ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 21
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Alex Smith suffering serious complications.
Sassy Squatch 09:52 AM 12-06-2018
[Bickel] Hearing from several different people over last few days that Alex Smith is having devastating complications from his broken leg surgery battling infection. Supposedly he's had multiple surgeries to try to combat infection. Chances of him playing again in real jeaopardy.

This fucking sucks.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 01:20 PM 12-06-2018
my brother had a compound ankle fracture and subsequently got staph infection and had multiple skin and muscle grafts. Awful stuff, over a mil in insurance over a couple of years and was never right after.

terrible news for a good guy (talent aside)
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:21 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
If the Skins don’t kick the tires on Kaep, it’s Exhibit A in his collusion case.
A team that runs the WCO is not kicking the tires on a spread run option guy. Dumb fucking SJW.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 01:21 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
My wife's grandpa somehow contracted sepsis about 6 months ago (he's 86 so it could have come from anywhere) and he was in ICU for 3 weeks and the hospital proper for 4 more.

You don't mess around with it and I can only assume that's what happened with my distant family member is that he ignored the initial infection associated with the break/repair and let it go too long, until it was too late.

my boss cut his leg on a cardboard box moving, later went swimming at the Y, felt bad and went home. His wife called an ambulance a couple hours later and they told him after several days in the ER if she'd have waited another hour he'd probably have died. Scary stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:23 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Absolutely.

Intravenous antibiotics, just fill the bag with every antibiotic you have and pump it in there for 10 days nonstop. Doctors are tentative with infections far too often.
I’d disagree. I had an abcess on my leg that got gnarly quick and they threw the book at me. No IV, but oral, hot in my ass localized until the culture came back. Pretty aggressive for a big (albeit really big) zit.
[Reply]
Bwana 01:27 PM 12-06-2018
Oh wow, sorry to hear this. By all accounts, he's a really good dude.
[Reply]
Mennonite 01:28 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Otter:
Two years ago I've never heard of 'sepsis' but the term has popped up more times in the last 2 years than I can recall.

He's in good shape and should beat it. Get well Alex!
Ever hear of the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon? Don't worry - you will.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 01:32 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Absolutely.

Intravenous antibiotics, just fill the bag with every antibiotic you have and pump it in there for 10 days nonstop. Doctors are tentative with infections far too often.
This is stunningly bad advice.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:32 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
This is stunningly bad advice.
What would happen if you pumped someone full of multiple antibiotics for 10 days straight?
[Reply]
O.city 01:33 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
What would happen if you pumped someone full of multiple antibiotics for 10 days straight?
If they didn't need it?

You'd destroy their normal flora which can lead to a whole new can of worms for one.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 01:33 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I’d disagree. I had an abcess on my leg that got gnarly quick and they threw the book at me. No IV, but oral, hot in my ass localized until the culture came back. Pretty aggressive for a big (albeit really big) zit.
Clindamycin, Bactrim, or Doxycycline?
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:36 PM 12-06-2018
Clindamycin, Bactrim, or Doxycycline?
Bactrum was the oral one. I don’t know what they were injecting in my ass (subcutaneously with a syringe - you fucks) and I don’t know what all they did at the site. I just know I was fucking wiped for better than a week.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 01:40 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
First, you often need to separate the bags so they don't precipitate and tear up your vasculature as they are infused.

After that, depends on the antibiotic. Vancomycin and aminoglycosides, which he's almost certainly getting, are nephrotoxic , so you have to monitor kidney function. Other antibiotics for resistant staph infections like linezolid can cause bone marrow suppression after two weeks and serotonin syndrome if given with certain meds. Daptomycin can cause breakdown of your muscle tissue. Many others can destroy your GI flora and increase your chances of a c. diff infection.

Beyond that, more than 1-2 antibiotics for certain susceptibility (gram positive, negative) is wholly unnecessary and only increases side effects.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:42 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
[Bickel] Hearing from several different people over last few days that Alex Smith is having devastating complications from his broken leg surgery battling infection. Supposedly he's had multiple surgeries to try to combat infection. Chances of him playing again in real jeaopardy.

This ****ing sucks.
He'll be fine.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 01:45 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Bactrum was the oral one. I don’t know what they were injecting in my ass (subcutaneously with a syringe - you fucks) and I don’t know what all they did at the site. I just know I was fucking wiped for better than a week.
Anesthetic for the draining would be my guess. Lidocaine burns... badly.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 01:48 PM 12-06-2018
First, you often need to separate the bags so they don't precipitate and tear up your vasculature as they are infused.

After that, depends on the antibiotic. Vancomycin and aminoglycosides, which he's almost certainly getting, are nephrotoxic , so you have to monitor kidney function. Other antibiotics for resistant staph infections like linezolid can cause bone marrow suppression after two weeks and serotonin syndrome if given with certain meds. Daptomycin can cause breakdown of your muscle tissue. Many others can destroy your GI flora and increase your chances of a c. diff infection.

Beyond that, more than 1-2 antibiotics for certain susceptibility (gram positive, negative) is wholly unnecessary and only increases side effects.
\

I'm always amazed at the smart people that hang around here. :-)
[Reply]
Page 7 of 21
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up