ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>home alarm system
bogey 06:25 PM 12-05-2018
I'm remodeling a home in Missouri and I live in CA. This house will sit empty most of the time, for the next few years until I retire and move into it, or sell it.
I'm looking for a security system that will help deter break-ins.
The house is out in the country, but I have neighbors a hundred yards or so down the road. I feel motion censored flood lights and a loud alarm would scare them off and hopefully rouse the neighbors. I would like to be able to control the system with my cell from CA. Possibly put the lights on timers, etc. Cameras would be nice, but really I want to keep them out, more than I want catch them.
If any of you have any recommendations for a good security system, I would appreciate hearing about them.
Thanks!
[Reply]
Bugeater 07:17 PM 12-05-2018
Your best bet would be letting me live there until you're ready to move into it.
[Reply]
chinaski 07:22 PM 12-05-2018
Your simplest solution with a camera system would be something like a Ring Doorbell. That would allow you to access/control it from your phone. That said, many wired Camera Systems allow you access/control off-site with a phone. Mine do.

Secondly, buy QUALITY locks. Don't cheap out. Medeco/Mul-T-Lock etc. They are worth it. Schlage Primus or Everest are also good. Again, don't cheap out.

As far as Alarm Systems, I would suggest a service like ADT that has monitoring. Just be aware that false alarms can cost you in some jurisdictions.

And by all means install some motion lights, they aren't that expensive.
[Reply]
Monty 07:23 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Your best bet would be letting me live there until you're ready to move into it.
/thread :-)
[Reply]
TribalElder 08:23 PM 12-05-2018
Missouri copper scrappers can strip your interior plumbing in record time

they are like human locusts
[Reply]
EPodolak 09:18 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Missouri copper scrappers can strip your interior plumbing in record time

they are like human locusts
Meth is a hell of a drug.
[Reply]
In58men 09:24 PM 12-05-2018
Get The Ring

They’re awesome motherfuckers
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:38 PM 12-05-2018
I have a few older foscams. You can set the newer ones up to easily get pics on your phone. Off network.

Also have alarm system through Xfinity. Maybe you can find one in your area for a good price. Big or private.
[Reply]
Hoover 09:45 PM 12-05-2018
Vivant
[Reply]
DaFace 09:50 PM 12-05-2018
For simplicity, both Amazon Ring and Nest Secure are wireless (aside from needing power), are highly configurable, and can be controlled from anywhere. I can't personally vouch for either of them, but I've looked into them both, and they seem like a great option if you're not looking for a traditional (monitored) alarm system.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 10:05 PM 12-05-2018
Ring battery sucks and the solar panel only extends time between required charging. If house is empty, most systems will need wifi or land line to work. And if a centurylink customer your modem will need attention every month or two to reset it. Bottom line you really cant do a do it youself set up that is really dependable.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 10:21 PM 12-05-2018
Not sure why you are censoring the flood lights...:-)

If your home is in the country, do you have broadband or hotspot access to remote monitor via wifi? If not, you'll need to have it monitored by landline as someone else pointed out.

I'm interested in what you end up doing as I have a cabin that I need to install a system into..
[Reply]
Bob Dole 10:53 PM 12-05-2018
I have a place in the country, with no neighbors in sight. I've been very happy with my Blink system. Motion detection, text alerts, cloud storage and no monthly fees. Affordable to install, wireless battery powered cameras. My minor complaint is that I can't enable some cameras and not others, but it's not a deal breaker. 3 cam system for under $350.
[Reply]
Holladay 11:24 PM 12-05-2018
OK, I will toss this hat into the ring.

I live out in the country. I looked into alarm systems a long time ago when I bought my house. These were the comments from the Insurance Co.

1. Have signs out in the yard saying you have an alarm system (whether you have it or not)

2. Get a dog and put out "Beware of Dog's" signs... stress the plural. (whether you have them or not).

3. Get a great big dog bowl with "Brutus" on the side. They don't know where he/they are. Again, whether you have one or not.

4. Put a sign on the door stating "Dear Gas Man, Please come back later, our pet python, Nicodemus, got loose and we don't know where he is."

Basically, thieves want an easy target. In theory, with the above info, they will find an easier target and not take a chance.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 11:37 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by Holladay:
OK, I will toss this hat into the ring.

I live out in the country. I looked into alarm systems a long time ago when I bought my house. These were the comments from the Insurance Co.

1. Have signs out in the yard saying you have an alarm system (whether you have it or not)

2. Get a dog and put out "Beware of Dog's" signs... stress the plural. (whether you have them or not).

3. Get a great big dog bowl with "Brutus" on the side. They don't know where he/they are. Again, whether you have one or not.

4. Put a sign on the door stating "Dear Gas Man, Please come back later, our pet python, Nicodemus, got loose and we don't know where he is."

Basically, thieves want an easy target. In theory, with the above info, they will find an easier target and not take a chance.
If you’re going to be as ridiculous as the python suggestion you could also put out a sign that says “Active Landmines” (whether you have them or not) and “Predator Missle Testing Grounds” (whether it is or not).
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up