ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 58 of 202
« First < 8485455565758 5960616268108158 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
FAX 07:57 AM 10-19-2018
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I know a lady on FB who says if Berry would just use this certain roller to rub some kind of oil that sounds like a flower on his heel and run some lavender in his defuser he would be on the field tomorrow.
I bet this lady smells like a two-week-old fruit basket.

FAX
[Reply]
ChiTown 08:18 AM 10-19-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
I bet this lady smells like a two-week-old fruit basket.

FAX
AKA Ben Gay and Diarrhea
[Reply]
Eleazar 09:00 AM 10-19-2018
I know a lady on FB who says if Berry would just use this certain roller to rub some kind of oil that sounds like a flower on his heel and run some lavender in his defuser he would be on the field tomorrow.
:-)

Concidentally, I know some stay at home moms who are selling a supplement that will give you crazy amounts of energy, make you look 10 years younger, improve your sex life, and cure anything that ails you. Maybe I should have them inbox EB about it. He could even become a consultant if he wants unlimited earning potential of his own.
[Reply]
oldman 09:13 AM 10-19-2018
This whole thing has more drama than the Junior Prom.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:54 AM 10-19-2018
CBD would cure his injury
[Reply]
notorious 02:04 PM 10-19-2018
I saw his thread had been bumped and got excited!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:52 PM 10-19-2018
Originally Posted by notorious:
I saw his thread had been bumped and got excited!!!!!!!!!
Berry and Houston are both doubtful, there's your news.

Those two turds are such a drag. If they end up playing a game together in a month or so I will probably buy a lottery ticket considering that never fucking happens and it could be a sign.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 08:23 PM 10-19-2018
Originally Posted by staylor26:
And that’s all we really need.

It’s like some people don’t get that we don’t need the defense to be good. We just need it to be competent.
That's why I'm all in on making a trade. People are correct in all the things needed to make this defense great, but we don't need that.

If we had just a decent offense and this defense, I get not making a trade, because it's probably not enough.

This offense doesn't need a ton of help. Get Houston, Berry and Sorenson back(no small feat) plus a trade and I think we could manage to be like low 20s in defense.
[Reply]
FAX 08:44 PM 10-19-2018
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
That's why I'm all in on making a trade. People are correct in all the things needed to make this defense great, but we don't need that.

If we had just a decent offense and this defense, I get not making a trade, because it's probably not enough.

This offense doesn't need a ton of help. Get Houston, Berry and Sorenson back(no small feat) plus a trade and I think we could manage to be like low 20s in defense.
I should like to pose an interrogatory ...

We all know the defense is ass-bad (the entire NFL community knows). Thus and ergo, it stands to reason that Wally also recognizes this fact.

What we don't know is the method Wally (and crew) uses to evaluate opponents in terms of how effective our defense is anticipated to be against specific players and/or certain schemes on a particular Sunday. For example, they may view the Susanna Hoffs as an offense that can be defended well enough with the players on hand without risking further or extended injury to guys like Fiddy ... even though he might be able to perform a limited role or something. (I hope you guys see what I mean, here.)

If that's true, isn't it better to hold guys out who risk worsening their existing ouchie or, perhaps, exacerbating a problem and causing it to linger longer than it would otherwise? If, for example, Kpassaneggnogg is a great matchup against the Hoffs' right tackle, Wally might feel good about that and it's a win/win ... Kpass gets some quality work and Fiddy gets some additional rest so he's in better shape to flatten Goff ... right?

FAX
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:57 PM 10-19-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
I should like to pose an interrogatory ...

We all know the defense is ass-bad (the entire NFL community knows). Thus and ergo, it stands to reason that Wally also recognizes this fact.

What we don't know is the method Wally (and crew) uses to evaluate opponents in terms of how effective our defense is anticipated to be against specific players and/or certain schemes on a particular Sunday. For example, they may view the Susanna Hoffs as an offense that can be defended well enough with the players on hand without risking further or extended injury to guys like Fiddy ... even though he might be able to perform a limited role or something. (I hope you guys see what I mean, here.)

If that's true, isn't it better to hold guys out who risk worsening their existing ouchie or, perhaps, exacerbating a problem and causing it to linger longer than it would otherwise? If, for example, Kpassaneggnogg is a great matchup against the Hoffs' right tackle, Wally might feel good about that and it's a win/win ... Kpass gets some quality work and Fiddy gets some additional rest so he's in better shape to flatten Goff ... right?

FAX
I don't think it really works that way. If Houston were ready to go, he'd be playing.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:08 PM 10-19-2018
Berry has a brain tumor on his liver

The days of being defensive about him are over... get on the field, or get out
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:15 PM 10-19-2018
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Berry has a brain tumor on his liver

The days of being defensive about him are over... get on the field, or get out
This. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and he's not even close to "lately". Well, other than looking homeless, he's done nothing. And eve THAT is a product of doing nothing.

The stupid motherfucker needs to set a date (this game or the next), or quit. If not, the Chiefs need to cut him.
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:27 PM 10-19-2018
I don't doubt berrys toughness. I don't doubt his desire to play or work ethic to do it. I don't doubt his talent and his positive benefit to the team when on the field.

My doubt is based on the challenges his body has experienced and it's ability to hold up so that he is good at football and able to stay on the field again.
[Reply]
kysirsoze 09:33 PM 10-19-2018
I don't doubt berrys toughness. I don't doubt his desire to play or work ethic to do it. I don't doubt his talent and his positive benefit to the team when on the field.

My doubt is based on the challenges his body has experienced and it's ability to hold up so that he is good at football and able to stay on the field again.
This is the only rational stance at this point.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:38 PM 10-19-2018
Originally Posted by kysirsoze:
This is the only rational stance at this point.
[Reply]
Page 58 of 202
« First < 8485455565758 5960616268108158 > Last »
Up