ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 55 of 202
« First < 5455152535455 5657585965105155 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
prhom 01:05 PM 10-18-2018
Say what you will about Reid, but he learns from his mistakes. If we only get Berry for one game each year, we might as well make that a playoff game. We wasted that one game right out of the gate last year.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:17 PM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
Ladies and Gentlemen, the epitome of a white knight.
I'm not white knighting shit.

I have no idea if Berry will ever play again other than they haven't put him on IR.

I am skeptical if he does play he will last.

I am skeptical he will be great of he does play.

I think the contract is turning out to be an albatross.

I also think its ludicrous to imply the guy isn't playing because he is a pussy which is exactly whats being implied. Using an example of of what your coach told you as a kid is also absolutely asinine and hilarious to be honest. I think Berry understands the difference between being hurt and being injured.

If you cant understand why someone might think along these lines, I don't know what to tell you or DJ. :-)
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 01:21 PM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by nicksdad:
sorry for the hijack but i am a 60 year old guy, 50 year chiefs fan, coming out for the effin' flexed game this weekend. any reccs for a steak meal, bbq meal and/or tailgating options? tx and sorry again.
Welcome! Someone help this man, I haven't lived in KC since 2005.

Originally Posted by prhom:
Say what you will about Reid, but he learns from his mistakes.
Prhom, I'm going to need you to go get the Vaseline very quickly and apply it before returning to the computer. It's for your own good, trust me.
[Reply]
-King- 01:34 PM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I'm not white knighting shit.

I have no idea if Berry will ever play again other than they haven't put him on IR.

I am skeptical if he does play he will last.

I am skeptical he will be great of he does play.

I think the contract is turning out to be an albatross.

I also think its ludicrous to imply the guy isn't playing because he is a pussy which is exactly whats being implied. Using an example of of what your coach told you as a kid is also absolutely asinine and hilarious to be honest. I think Berry understands the difference between being hurt and being injured.

If you cant understand why someone might think along these lines, I don't know what to tell you or DJ. :-)
This. Berry is the last one I would question when it comes to his passion for the game or if he truly wants to play or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:01 PM 10-18-2018
BERRY IS COMING BACK FOOLS

Chiefs aren't seriously pursuing any trades, I'm told. They're happy with Jordan Lucas, and expect (don't laugh) Eric Berry and Daniel Sorensen to return.

— Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) October 18, 2018

[Reply]
staylor26 02:04 PM 10-18-2018
Berry and Sorenson returning should make this defense good enough IMO
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:27 PM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
LIGHT IT UP

"imposhibah!"

Batman with an epic Eric Berry beard.

"Shoa...you came back to diah with your citayy!"

"No. I came back to stop you."
Brady as Bane feels appropriate for some reason.

"Why does he wear the deflator?"

"If I take that deflator from you, would you still be a QB?"

Bill is Ra's Al Ghul.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:31 PM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Brady as Bane feels appropriate for some reason.

"Why does he wear the deflator?"

"If I take that deflator from you, would you still be a QB?"

Bill is Ra's Al Ghul.
Bane is whoever Berry comes back against bro.

RISE

[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:51 PM 10-18-2018
Bane is whoever Berry comes back against bro.

RISE

I have no choice but to accept this decision and enjoy the hell out of it when it gets here.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:55 PM 10-18-2018

:-)

Better be fairly quick. Before the MNF Rams game I hope.
[Reply]
loochy 02:59 PM 10-18-2018

Lmao

My ass
[Reply]
thegame214 03:01 PM 10-18-2018
Expect lol
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:02 PM 10-18-2018

:-):-)
[Reply]
-King- 03:05 PM 10-18-2018
If they didn't expect him back they would have just put him on IR. Don't see what's so funny about that
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:06 PM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by -King-:
If they didn't expect him back they would have just put him on IR. Don't see what's so funny about that
Posted via Mobile Device
They expected him back before now.
[Reply]
Page 55 of 202
« First < 5455152535455 5657585965105155 > Last »
Up