ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 157 of 298
« First < 57107147153154155156157 158159160161167207257 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Bob Sutton
petegz28 10:12 PM 10-19-2017
That is all.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:28 AM 12-10-2018
We need to poach someone from that Ravens defensive staff.
[Reply]
bobbything 10:35 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
2nd in the league in sacks and we blitz less than almost everyone else.
For the life of me I have no idea how our D-line is so good at rushing the passer but our defense, as a whole, is terrible. It could be sort of a mirage—a byproduct of forcing teams to pass more than they normally would. By virtue of seeing more passing attempts than most teams we are inherently going to get more sacks.

I'd like to see which defense has seen the most pass attempts against them. I'd bet we are in the top 3.

Edit: I looked it up. We are 2nd (only behind Cleveland) with facing and average of 41 pass attempts per game. That's crazy. With Jones, Houston, and Ford, I'd be shocked if we weren't right up there in sacks.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:40 AM 12-10-2018
Hard to figure out why Bob Sutton had to "adjust" to a run focused defense yesterday, rather then starting the game with that approach.

Was it a surprise to Sutton that the Ravens were going to run on virtually every down?
[Reply]
carcosa 10:42 AM 12-10-2018
Bob Sutton is a dumbass.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:44 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Hard to figure out why Bob Sutton had to "adjust" to a run focused defense yesterday, rather then starting the game with that approach.

Was it a surprise to Sutton that the Ravens were going to run on virtually every down?
Sutton is doing just about the only thing he can do. The defense can't stop the run or the pass, so they're playing to take away the big plays.

They are saying to the opponents, in effect, we know that we can't match up with you, but we're going to make you take 10 or 12 plays to get into position to score, and try to catch some luck on a third down.

Giving them as many chances as possible to make a mistake or for someone to get something right - a penalty, a drop, an overthrown pass, a sack - that's about all Sutton can do. He doesn't have the personnel to play defense the way the Ravens do.
[Reply]
FringeNC 10:50 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
Sutton is doing just about the only thing he can do. The defense can't stop the run or the pass, so they're playing to take away the big plays.

They are saying to the opponents, in effect, we know that we can't match up with you, but we're going to make you take 10 or 12 plays to get into position to score, and try to catch some luck on a third down.

Giving them as many chances as possible to make a mistake or for someone to get something right - a penalty, a drop, an overthrown pass, a sack - that's about all Sutton can do. He doesn't have the personnel to play defense the way the Ravens do.
I'd be willing to give Sutton the benefit of the doubt if it weren't for all the playoff debacles on his watch. Other than the Houston game, for all practical purposes there were zero punts in the other games. Just awful stuff. Who knows -- maybe Dorsey was to blame, but the D has been absolutely horrific in playoff games, and this year will be no different.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 10:51 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
We need to poach someone from that Ravens defensive staff.
I don't know if he has any interest in coaching but I would really love to have Ray Lewis involved with this defense in some way. Having someone who has been that defensive leader, that defensive QB involved with our squad would be fantastic.

And yes, we SHOULD be actively seeking to acquire the best defensive coaching talent we can steal right now. Today. The Chiefs are COMPLETELY in the drivers seat when it comes to acquiring talent for our staff. There isn't a defensive coach in the world who would not want to come in here and be challenged by Reid to create a defensive counterpart as effective as Reid's offense is.
It's a very special team poised to do great things, a unique and historic franchise with a defensive legacy that includes a Super Bowl coach and defense that re-wrote the book for defensive play going in to the 70's and 80's, and it's WIDE OPEN for a brilliant and aggressive mind willing to step up and take it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:55 AM 12-10-2018

He had to adjust because they came out in run sets and gave up 10 yards per play on the first drive.

Bob isn't stupid, they were TRYING to stop the run and just plain couldn't do it.
[Reply]
carcosa 11:09 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
I don't know if he has any interest in coaching but I would really love to have Ray Lewis involved with this defense in some way. Having someone who has been that defensive leader, that defensive QB involved with our squad would be fantastic.
He could give some great/unintelligible motivational speeches
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:13 AM 12-10-2018
Chris Jones, Dee Ford, and Justin Houston with their 28 sacks just isn't enough.

Anthony Hitchens and Kendall Fuller are both severely underperforming compared to where they were at last year, but that's just a coincidence, right?

Watching other teams defense and comparing it to ours, it's like we're playing a different sport. Instead of swarming and attacking the ball carrier, they wait for the RB to get to them, and inevitably get driven back for an extra 2 or 3 yards. Fucking sick of this scheme.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:15 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
He had to adjust because they came out in run sets and gave up 10 yards per play on the first drive.

Bob isn't stupid, they were TRYING to stop the run and just plain couldn't do it.
:-) There were plays where we were in nickel with 2 down linemen. Bob Sutton absolutely was an idiot on that drive.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:15 AM 12-10-2018

Come again?

Look - yesterday was my puke point on Sutton as well. He had Ragland and Hitchens out there STILL on 3rd and 19 in the OT period (or whatever the hell that play was). He refused to take Hitchens off the field at all and Hitchens was simply being run past. And there's the Parker thing again; I saw a simple read option where Parker started in the box, Jackson was run out of bounds for a 4 yard gain and Parker somehow ended up about 20 yards past the line of scrimmage.

I'm done watching him send these fucking zombies out there to get their asses kicked.

But what in the actual fuck are you talking about? He absolutely came out in rush defense formations. I think he ran a nickel a couple of times on 3rd and long, but he was in his base defense for probably 65-70% of the game and in times that he wasn't, he was still using a 'big nickel' with Sorensen as the Nickel and Murray coming in for snaps.

I'm ready to be done with him at this point because the fucking guy will not cut bait on a couple of these truly terrible football players (Ragland and Parker) and won't do enough to minimize the impact of some guys who are clearly not playing to expectations (Hitchens).
[Reply]
farmerchief 11:17 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Chris Jones, Dee Ford, and Justin Houston with their 28 sacks just isn't enough.

Anthony Hitchens and Kendall Fuller are both severely underperforming compared to where they were at last year, but that's just a coincidence, right?

Watching other teams defense and comparing it to ours, it's like we're playing a different sport. Instead of swarming and attacking the ball carrier, they wait for the RB to get to them, and inevitably get driven back for an extra 2 or 3 yards. ****ing sick of this scheme.
I mentioned in another post how enjoyable it was watching the Bears defense last night. They were very sure tacklers and they did, indeed, attack the ball carrier/wide receiver when encountering them. I was hopeful our guys were watching, but it could be the scheme that contributes to this poor defense? Regardless of how this season turns out, even if we win the super bowl, Sutton should retire or be dismissed. But Andy will never do it, even if we lose more games.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:23 AM 12-10-2018
Dallas defense much improved since Hitchens left. This is on Veach who would rather spend 19 mil for a WR with a broken foot instead of upgrading the safety position.
[Reply]
Eleazar 11:27 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by FringeNC:
I'd be willing to give Sutton the benefit of the doubt if it weren't for all the playoff debacles on his watch. Other than the Houston game, for all practical purposes there were zero punts in the other games. Just awful stuff. Who knows -- maybe Dorsey was to blame, but the D has been absolutely horrific in playoff games, and this year will be no different.
I'm not defending his history, but those teams had a lot more talent than this one does on defense. Fire him or keep him, he's doing just about all he can do with what he has.
[Reply]
Page 157 of 298
« First < 57107147153154155156157 158159160161167207257 > Last »
Up