ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Vote for the THREE LEAST DESERVING HoFers on this list.
Art Donovan 4 30.77%
Gino Marchetti 2 15.38%
Jim Parker 2 15.38%
John Mackey 2 15.38%
Johnny Unitas 0 0%
Lenny Moore 0 0%
Marvin Harrison 7 53.85%
Morten Andersen 2 15.38%
Raymond Berry 0 0%
Rickey Jackson 7 53.85%
Willie Roaf 0 0%
All of these players are deserving of the Hall of Fame 2 15.38%
Roaf played for another team? Wow. 1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll
Nzoner's Game Room>Least Deserving Hall of Famers: Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints
Rain Man 05:49 PM 05-20-2019
VOTE FOR THREE.

With all of the talk about undeserving people in the Hall of Fame, I thought it might be interesting to identify the absolute least deserving people in the Hall of Fame.

I'll do this first for players, identifying the least deserving players by team, and then we'll do a heat or two for non-players.

Poll coming in less time than it takes for Archie Manning to interfere in the draft to benefit his son.

You can read profiles of the players here, in a very unfriendly format on the HoF site: https://www.profootballhof.com/heroe...me/franchises/

Rules note: If a team has less than 10 HoFers, I'll combine them with another team to get to that number.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:30 PM 05-20-2019
I know, I know. We'll need some research on some of these guys.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:10 PM 05-20-2019
Okay, let's review:

Art Donovan - 12 seasons as a defensive tackle, actually played for the Colts twice because the franchise went out of business his rookie year and then came back later. 12 seasons, 5 all-pros. Well-regarded locker room presence. Seems fine, but I'm not sure he'd make it now other than his media presence.

Gino Marchetti - 14 seasons, 9 all-pros at defensive end. Named the NFL's top defensive end of the league's first 50 years, which is nice. Feared pass rusher. He just died a month ago. I'll give him a pass for that 'top defensive end of 50 years' thing.

Jim Parker - 11 seasons, 8 all pros as an offensive tackle and guard. Enormous for his time, and protected Johnny Unitas' blind side, which was kind of important.

John Mackey - 10 seasons, often seen as the first superstar tight end. In the HoF's first 29 years, only one TE was inducted, and Mackey was the second. Gamebreaker who scored numerous long touchdowns in his career.

Johnny Unitas - Pretty good quarterback. Look him up if you're not familiar.

Lenny Moore - 12 seasons at WR and RB, scored 113 touchdowns. MVP in 1964. Over 11,000 yards from scrimmage at a 4.8 ypc rushing average. 4.8 ypc over 12 seasons is worth an HoF spot.

Marvin Harrison - We know him. Peyton Manning's creation.

Morten Andersen - 25 seasons in the NFL, and he average more than 100 points per season. Total of 2,534 points. All-decade teams of the 1980s and 1990s. Once kicked 3 50+ yard field goals in the same game. The guy deserves a spot, in my opinion.

Raymond Berry - 13 seasons. Only two players who retired before 1980 had more receptions than Raymond Berry. Held the record when he retired. Known for unimpressive speed and great routes.

Rickey Jackson - 128 sacks in 15 seasons as LOLB. (Point of comparison: DT had 126.5 in 11 seasons.) 4 all pro selections.

Willie Roaf - He's Willie Freakin' Roaf. Any other questions?
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:13 PM 05-20-2019
All of these guys are probably worthwhile, but a few are pretty borderline. My three to kick out are:

1. Marvin Harrison. Manning had to throw to somebody.

2. Art Donovan. Really good, apparently, borderline candidate. I bet the press just liked him, though, since he was an easy interview.

3. Rickey Jackson. Probably deserved a slot, but the rest of the crew is really strong.
[Reply]
oldman 10:38 PM 05-20-2019
This was a tough one, but I'm going to agree with Rainman. If you and your best friend were playing catch in 1959, the passer was Johnny U and the other guy was Ray Berry.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:43 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by oldman:
This was a tough one, but I'm going to agree with Rainman. If you and your best friend were playing catch in 1959, the passer was Johnny U and the other guy was Ray Berry.
It seems that Unitas and Berry are pretty much the same thing as Manning and Harrison. Recordshattering quarterback throwing to a receiver who isn't a physical specimen but is known for running good routes.
[Reply]
tredadda 07:38 AM 05-21-2019
I have an issue with Roaf going in as a Saint. He should have gone in as a Chief.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:39 AM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by tredadda:
I have an issue with Roaf going in as a Saint. He should have gone in as a Chief.
The HoF lists him as both, but he's in bold print as a Saint and regular font as a Chief. Of course, we all know that he was much more valuable as a Chief.
[Reply]
Up