ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 87 of 221
« First < 37778384858687 8889909197137187 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
beach tribe 12:24 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Hard to imagine that being the case. Especially with the explosion of silver carp, need to get all of those we can out of the water.
Like I said, I just heard it from someone. Probably BS.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:26 PM 05-19-2015
Does anyone here subscribe to the lunar phases for the best times to fish? I have utilized it in the past with mixed results.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 01:26 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Does anyone here subscribe to the lunar phases for the best times to fish? I have utilized it in the past with mixed results.
No but now that you mention it I've been skunked during pretty much every lunar phase. I tend to think they follow weather patterns more than the moon.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 01:46 PM 05-19-2015
I haven't found the lunar charts to be of much help. I can tell you the full moon will trigger spawning and other behaviors such as molting. I've also never done well with stripers on a full moon.
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:49 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
I've also never done well with stripers on a full moon.
You sure you're paying them enough?
[Reply]
beach tribe 03:43 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
No but now that you mention it I've been skunked during pretty much every lunar phase. I tend to think they follow weather patterns more than the moon.
I don't think weather patterns is up for debate. I can tell you, without question, that they do follow them.

My GF thought I was crazy because we were about to go to the super market and I walked out the door first, but almost knocked her over on my way back in to get my pole because I felt that cool moist air and it was lightly sprinkling.

These bastards go crazy just before and about an hr into a light rain during the winter down here.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:47 PM 05-23-2015
Wish me luck, gonna head out soon to a small lake (maybe 30 acres) I scouted out a few weeks ago for some catfishing, going medieval with the bait... fresh chicken liver, with a lip hooked minnow or two.

Hopefully...

blood trail + struggling live bait = tomorrows dinner.
[Reply]
Why Not? 04:31 PM 05-23-2015
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Wish me luck, gonna head out soon to a small lake (maybe 30 acres) I scouted out a few weeks ago for some catfishing, going medieval with the bait... fresh chicken liver, with a lip hooked minnow or two.

Hopefully...

blood trail + struggling live bait = tomorrows dinner.
Good luck. Taking my kids catfishing this evening myself. Small pond. Had some good luck there before
[Reply]
stonedstooge 04:51 PM 05-23-2015
I've got a Missouri River level and solunar table saved on my computer, as well as a ACU-RITE temperature/barometric pressure/built in solunar table for both fish and wildlife.

I've never had a great day fishing when the solunar table calls for it with a new moon. :-):-)
[Reply]
lewdog 04:54 PM 05-23-2015
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
Good luck. Taking my kids catfishing this evening myself. Small pond. Had some good luck there before
Damn, don't have to say where if you don't want but I'd be down for doing that sometime. No idea where to fish around here but I do miss it some.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:03 PM 05-23-2015
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
Thanks for the well wishes, but I haven't had such a crap day of fishing (particularly when going very serious with all the right bait and times yadayada) in 3-4 years...

Only had two real hits, genuine hits where the rod is threatening to pop out of the holder... go to set the hook and found I was snagged on something both times, the hits were real enough but somehow was snagged up at the same time, both times.

That was enough for me, came back through town and grabbed a Papa Murphys meat lovers, hell with it.

Sometimes you get the bear...
[Reply]
Why Not? 10:18 PM 05-23-2015
Thanks for the well wishes, but I haven't had such a crap day of fishing (particularly when going very serious with all the right bait and times yadayada) in 3-4 years...

Only had two real hits, genuine hits where the rod is threatening to pop out of the holder... go to set the hook and found I was snagged on something both times, the hits were real enough but somehow was snagged up at the same time, both times.

That was enough for me, came back through town and grabbed a Papa Murphys meat lovers, hell with it.

Ha. Been there many a time
[Reply]
Why Not? 10:19 PM 05-23-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Damn, don't have to say where if you don't want but I'd be down for doing that sometime. No idea where to fish around here but I do miss it some.
Anytime. I know a bunch of spots on my side of town. Now, this is Phoenix so the fishing is rather, um, urban. But it's still line in the water and try to catch fish.
[Reply]
beach tribe 10:18 AM 05-24-2015
Decided to go strictly for tarpon with live shiners while my brother was down.
Mistake. Totally struck out. He did catch one two pound Bass, though.
Sucks too, because there were a cpl rolling the surface and they were Massive.
To say they were 50lbs would be conservative.
My life is not complete till I do this
WATCH THIS!!:

[Reply]
beach tribe 10:38 AM 05-24-2015

They bite and then swim into something. It happens. Sucks.
[Reply]
Page 87 of 221
« First < 37778384858687 8889909197137187 > Last »
Up