ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3462 of 3903
« First < 2462296233623412345234583459346034613462 3463346434653466347235123562 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:45 PM 03-08-2021

after either natural infection or vaccination for COVID. If we can believe the B cell & T cell half-life data (and why wouldn't we? This group has been doing careful work since beginning), vaccine-induced immunity may last a lifetime or at least (initial SARS-CoV data)>10 years

— Monica Gandhi MD, MPH (@MonicaGandhi9) March 7, 2021

[Reply]
vailpass 05:28 PM 03-08-2021
Got my first Pfizer shot this weekend, no symptoms at all. I hear the second one is where it gets you. I'll find out in three weeks.

My son works part-time at a local nursery here; good college job. The nursery maintains a house on-site where 12 H2A visa workers from Mexico live. They got here a couple weeks ago. Today they told the other employees that half of the H2A guys are quarantined with COVID and the other half are still working.

Quarantined? 12 guys living in one little house, no way they can effectively stay spaced enough for quarantine. I have not known a single person first-hand who had COVID. It's strange having an encounter this close. And it's concerning how it gets spread like this.
[Reply]
R Clark 06:03 PM 03-08-2021
It’s amazing that you don’t know anyone that’s had it
[Reply]
Monticore 06:59 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Got my first Pfizer shot this weekend, no symptoms at all. I hear the second one is where it gets you. I'll find out in three weeks.

My son works part-time at a local nursery here; good college job. The nursery maintains a house on-site where 12 H2A visa workers from Mexico live. They got here a couple weeks ago. Today they told the other employees that half of the H2A guys are quarantined with COVID and the other half are still working.

Quarantined? 12 guys living in one little house, no way they can effectively stay spaced enough for quarantine. I have not known a single person first-hand who had COVID. It's strange having an encounter this close. And it's concerning how it gets spread like this.
We barely had any cases up here , then one guy who had travelled for work was quarantined in his apartment because tested positive, 19 cases within a week at the same complex and 3 deaths , even Though he never left his apartment, it was the SA variant ,it’s crazy how contagious it can be but not always, .
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 07:08 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:

Hopefully, that holds up. That'd be amazing
[Reply]
Monticore 07:49 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
Hopefully, that holds up. That'd be amazing
You hope it would be enough to convince people to get the vaccine , and hopefully it won’t change enough to need more vaccines.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 09:00 PM 03-08-2021
My mom and dad got shot 1 of moderna last week. Mom had a little fever for a day and felt tired and dad just had arm pain.

Lost my uncle to covid in November he was gone within a week. Fucking sucks.

Not sure why some are cool risking serious illness by not getting a vaccine.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 09:02 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
My friend got Covid in early February (he’s a tall healthy 48 year old cyclist) and was admitted to UCLA ICU February 14th. Two days later he was intubated and out under forced sedation and immobilized (basically a coma) for 20 days while medical teams worked in ways to keep his oxygen levels up and fevers down. Ultimately he was given a tracheotomy.
Every day his wife would post updates.
Nobody should have to go through what that family has gone through.
After 20 days they revived him and a week later he’s about to get the trach tube out. He is re-learning how to walk and eat and use his hands.
Here is an update he posted today...

Covid feels like a lot of things. It feels like pressure on your chest. It feels like a fever ripping down your spine. Mostly, though, it feels like drowning. As if you’re drowning yourself from the inside.

The moment I started to understand what it was to have Covid was when my lungs started to fill with fluid. Phlegm, it looks like me. Secretions, the doctors call it. Covid attacks the linings of your lungs, and they respond by secreting mucus to protect themselves. That’s what overwhelms you.

It’s not drowning as if you’ve fallen overboard in a storm. It’s drowning as if you’re tied to the ocean floor and the tide is rising. You feel a tickle at the bottom, and you ignore it. It’s a long way from the surface. It starts to rise and you notice it when you breathe, a little ragged catch. It’s halfway up and you’re actively fighting against it. Then it’s at the top and there’s only a fistful of air left, and there’s no way to swim away.

My recovery time has been a fight against that tide in my chest. I was always aware of its climb, listening to every gurgle. Feeling the pressure in my chest increase. As soon as I could hold it, they gave me a suction tube, and it never left my hand. Every time I coughed something up, I would suction it out. At first it was mostly red, then odd colors, then finally clear.

I realized that I was thinking of my lungs in two halves. The top half, the top that was getting secretions to my mouth and out of my body, belonged to me. The bottom half belonged to someone else, unnamed. And they were not doing their job. I learned how to shape my coughs so that they reached higher, so I could clear more.

The respiratory techs would come in to give me treatments—the IPV treatment that shakes your chest like a jackhammer to loosen phlegm, a nebulizer to open up the airways. But the most important was their suction. Unlike me, who was limited to suctioning the mouth, the RTs could put a suction tube right into my tracheotomy and reach down in my lungs, to do the job of the people who had skipped out on their responsibilities.

They’d place a long red rubber catheter on the end of the suction tube, coil it around their wrist as it hissed like a snake. Then they’d feed it in until I could feel it and I was forced to cough. The catheter would slurp it up. I had been afraid of coughing the night blood sprayed out of my trachea tube, but I became an expert on coughing as hard as I could, as long as I could. I became an expert at breathing and listening to my lungs and knowing exactly how much was left, how many more passes I would need. I’d catch my breath, wipe the tears from my eyes, and nod at the RT. “Do it again,” I’d say.

The last two days, my lungs have been empty. The only time I have to clear my lungs is when I drink liquid that is too thin, too fast. But I still listen for the raggedness at the edge of my breath.

The second night after I woke up for good, Sunny talked them into finally giving me my sleep meds again, and I had my first true sleep since coming to the hospital. It didn’t last long. I woke in the darkness, but lay there in twilight for hours. I listened to my breathing. I was aware of the secretions but they didn’t alarm me this time. My lungs had weight. It was as if they had wrapped themselves around my heart for protection. Each breath traveled through the fluid like waves.

I thought maybe I had the secretions wrong. I thought of the movie The Abyss, where they use a pink goo to breathe underwater. It fills your lungs and oxygenates you. You just have to swallow it in, let it fill your lungs. You have to fight past the panic because you know it will work. Maybe these secretions were like that, I thought.

Then I woke up for real, and suctioned my mouth. These secretions were pink, too. But that was from the blood.
Jesus. Hope your friend gets better soon. Scary shit
[Reply]
vailpass 09:26 PM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
We barely had any cases up here , then one guy who had travelled for work was quarantined in his apartment because tested positive, 19 cases within a week at the same complex and 3 deaths , even Though he never left his apartment, it was the SA variant ,it’s crazy how contagious it can be but not always, .
God that’s nasty how it blew through people like that.
[Reply]
F150 09:20 AM 03-09-2021
We get number 2 on Friday-Moderna
[Reply]
Hawker007 10:21 AM 03-09-2021
I'm getting the J&J shot tomorrow...anybody have any experience with it or have any hesitancy with it?
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 09:33 PM 03-09-2021
Originally Posted by Hawker007:
I'm getting the J&J shot tomorrow...anybody have any experience with it or have any hesitancy with it?
No hesitancy. I got there Pfizer but would have gotten the J&J if that's what they had.
[Reply]
F150 09:25 AM 03-10-2021
(Reuters) - Eli Lilly and Co said on Wednesday that its combination antibody therapy to fight COVID-19 reduced the risk of hospitalization and death by 87% in a study of more than 750 high-risk COVID-19 patients.

It is the second large, late-stage study to show that combination therapy of two antibodies, bamlanivimab and etesevimab, is effective at treating mild to moderate cases of COVID-19.

The previous study, which published data in January, used a higher dose of the drugs and reduced risk of hospitalization by 70%.

“I expect this data to continue to drive more utilization” of the antibodies,” said Daniel Skovronsky, chief scientific officer at Eli Lilly.

“We have few other diseases where we have drugs that can offer this magnitude of benefit.”

U.S. regulators authorized the combination therapy in February for use in COVID-19 patients 12 and over with a high risk of developing serious complications. European regulators greenlighted its use in March.

The United States agreed in February to purchase a minimum of 100,000 doses of the combination treatment.

Regulators authorized bamlanivimab alone for use against COVID-19 last year and the U.S. government agreed to purchase nearly 1.5 million doses.

Skovronsky said the combination therapy has the benefit of offering greater protection against new strains of COVID-19.

A variant of COVID-19 originally discovered in Britain has infected patients in most U.S. states and is expected to become the country's dominant strain. (Graphic: tmsnrt.rs/34pvUyi)

“We are quite confident this combo covers all of the variants in the U.S.,” Skovronsky said, adding Lilly is studying an additional treatment for new COVID strains first identified in South Africa and Brazil, which have not become widespread in the United States.

Skovronsky said that Lilly is prepared to manufacture 1 million doses of the combination therapy in the coming months and is in active talks to supply governments around the world with the treatment.

Reporting by Carl O’Donnell and Michael Erman in New York; Editing by Lisa Shumaker

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2B21C0
[Reply]
TLO 10:42 AM 03-10-2021
Go back to page 17 to see where we were a year ago today.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:59 AM 03-10-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
MiL got her 2nd shot last week and ran a high fever for a couple of days and was basically bed-ridden because it would spike to 102-103 and just cash her out.

Originally Posted by :
I have not come into contact with anyone who has had COVID. My brother had it but I haven't seen him since Thanksgiving and he lives an hour away.
[Reply]
Page 3462 of 3903
« First < 2462296233623412345234583459346034613462 3463346434653466347235123562 > Last »
Up