ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3461 of 3903
« First < 2461296133613411345134573458345934603461 3462346334643465347135113561 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TinyEvel 01:34 PM 03-07-2021
My friend got Covid in early February (he’s a tall healthy 48 year old cyclist) and was admitted to UCLA ICU February 14th. Two days later he was intubated and out under forced sedation and immobilized (basically a coma) for 20 days while medical teams worked in ways to keep his oxygen levels up and fevers down. Ultimately he was given a tracheotomy.
Every day his wife would post updates.
Nobody should have to go through what that family has gone through.
After 20 days they revived him and a week later he’s about to get the trach tube out. He is re-learning how to walk and eat and use his hands.
Here is an update he posted today...

Covid feels like a lot of things. It feels like pressure on your chest. It feels like a fever ripping down your spine. Mostly, though, it feels like drowning. As if you’re drowning yourself from the inside.

The moment I started to understand what it was to have Covid was when my lungs started to fill with fluid. Phlegm, it looks like me. Secretions, the doctors call it. Covid attacks the linings of your lungs, and they respond by secreting mucus to protect themselves. That’s what overwhelms you.

It’s not drowning as if you’ve fallen overboard in a storm. It’s drowning as if you’re tied to the ocean floor and the tide is rising. You feel a tickle at the bottom, and you ignore it. It’s a long way from the surface. It starts to rise and you notice it when you breathe, a little ragged catch. It’s halfway up and you’re actively fighting against it. Then it’s at the top and there’s only a fistful of air left, and there’s no way to swim away.

My recovery time has been a fight against that tide in my chest. I was always aware of its climb, listening to every gurgle. Feeling the pressure in my chest increase. As soon as I could hold it, they gave me a suction tube, and it never left my hand. Every time I coughed something up, I would suction it out. At first it was mostly red, then odd colors, then finally clear.

I realized that I was thinking of my lungs in two halves. The top half, the top that was getting secretions to my mouth and out of my body, belonged to me. The bottom half belonged to someone else, unnamed. And they were not doing their job. I learned how to shape my coughs so that they reached higher, so I could clear more.

The respiratory techs would come in to give me treatments—the IPV treatment that shakes your chest like a jackhammer to loosen phlegm, a nebulizer to open up the airways. But the most important was their suction. Unlike me, who was limited to suctioning the mouth, the RTs could put a suction tube right into my tracheotomy and reach down in my lungs, to do the job of the people who had skipped out on their responsibilities.

They’d place a long red rubber catheter on the end of the suction tube, coil it around their wrist as it hissed like a snake. Then they’d feed it in until I could feel it and I was forced to cough. The catheter would slurp it up. I had been afraid of coughing the night blood sprayed out of my trachea tube, but I became an expert on coughing as hard as I could, as long as I could. I became an expert at breathing and listening to my lungs and knowing exactly how much was left, how many more passes I would need. I’d catch my breath, wipe the tears from my eyes, and nod at the RT. “Do it again,” I’d say.

The last two days, my lungs have been empty. The only time I have to clear my lungs is when I drink liquid that is too thin, too fast. But I still listen for the raggedness at the edge of my breath.

The second night after I woke up for good, Sunny talked them into finally giving me my sleep meds again, and I had my first true sleep since coming to the hospital. It didn’t last long. I woke in the darkness, but lay there in twilight for hours. I listened to my breathing. I was aware of the secretions but they didn’t alarm me this time. My lungs had weight. It was as if they had wrapped themselves around my heart for protection. Each breath traveled through the fluid like waves.

I thought maybe I had the secretions wrong. I thought of the movie The Abyss, where they use a pink goo to breathe underwater. It fills your lungs and oxygenates you. You just have to swallow it in, let it fill your lungs. You have to fight past the panic because you know it will work. Maybe these secretions were like that, I thought.

Then I woke up for real, and suctioned my mouth. These secretions were pink, too. But that was from the blood.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:43 PM 03-07-2021
I find it insane how random this thing is. I have work acquaintances that are morbidly obese and completely without any semblance of athleticism that have come down with it and had symptoms nothing more than a mild cold, while your cycling friend is in an induced coma and on death's doorstep. None of this makes sense.

Hope your friend makes a complete recovery.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:50 PM 03-07-2021
My parents and my wife all got their second shots late last week. My mom was pretty much laid out for a full day. My wife felt fine at first but couldn't sleep last night as she went between chills and sweats. My dad said he felt like nothing happened. Just weird how variable the side effects are.

And of course that's nothing compared to the disease itself as Bowser pointed out.

Thoughts with your friend, TE. Hope he continues to recover.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:52 PM 03-07-2021
I’ve heard a few anecdotes of marathon runners and other heavy exercisers getting hit hard. Marathon running does thing to the heart that resemble myocarditis. I wonder if hardcore athletes aren’t more at risk.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 02:08 PM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I find it insane how random this thing is. I have work acquaintances that are morbidly obese and completely without any semblance of athleticism that have come down with it and had symptoms nothing more than a mild cold, while your cycling friend is in an induced coma and on death's doorstep. None of this makes sense.

It is very odd. My wife’s 95 year old grandma got Covid and had very mild symptoms. The only reason she knew she had it is because of the weekly testing at the home she stays at.
[Reply]
Monticore 03:33 PM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:

Yeah it’s done some weird things and that’s why it was so incredibly difficult to treat and come up with a plan to protect people without being heavy handed , 30 year old body builders spending 2 weeks on a vent , then You see a 70 year old smoker with renal failure and bilateral pneumonia’s without even a cough or any symptoms.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:39 PM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Yeah it’s done some weird things and that’s why it was so incredibly difficult to treat and coke up with a plan to protect people without being heavy handed , 30 year old body builders spending 2 weeks on a vent , then You see a 70 year old smoker with renal failure and bilateral pneumonia’s without even a cough or any symptoms.
I remember reading at some point a theory that it was related to the viral load that one was exposed to. If you got a small initial virus by picking up restaurant food from someone who was contagious, you tended to get a light case. But if you were at a party hanging out in a room with a contagious person for hours, you tended to get a worse case. I read that a while back, so I don't know if it's been proven or disproven.
[Reply]
Monticore 03:51 PM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I remember reading at some point a theory that it was related to the viral load that one was exposed to. If you got a small initial virus by picking up restaurant food from someone who was contagious, you tended to get a light case. But if you were at a party hanging out in a room with a contagious person for hours, you tended to get a worse case. I read that a while back, so I don't know if it's been proven or disproven.
I am not sure We have seen people from the same household where the more fit person got hit worse.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 06:23 PM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
What medication if I may ask?
Prednisone, which is a steroid.
[Reply]
TLO 07:27 PM 03-07-2021
Yesterday was my birthday and I felt so optimistic compared to last year around this time. The weather has been in the 70's, people around the neighborhood were outside BBQing, someone even shot off a few fireworks after sun down.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:31 PM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Yesterday was my birthday and I felt so optimistic compared to last year around this time. The weather has been in the 70's, people around the neighborhood were outside BBQing, someone even shot off a few fireworks after sun down.
Pretty sure those were gun shots coming from US Oil.
[Reply]
loochy 08:18 AM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Yeah it’s done some weird things and that’s why it was so incredibly difficult to treat and come up with a plan to protect people without being heavy handed , 30 year old body builders spending 2 weeks on a vent , then You see a 70 year old smoker with renal failure and bilateral pneumonia’s without even a cough or any symptoms.

Well bodybuilder is a bad example...if you know anything about bodybuilding you know that it is one of the most unhealthy things out there.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:46 AM 03-08-2021
90 year old dad got his second Moderna shot Saturday. No side effects as of this morning.
[Reply]
O.city 09:03 AM 03-08-2021
Interesting observation about this thing I read this morning. As the spike protein mutates, it's likely to have less affinity for binding to the ACE2 receptor. They're also thinking that there isn't much more mutations to come on the spike protein as it's a pretty basic amino sequence.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:11 AM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
Well bodybuilder is a bad example...if you know anything about bodybuilding you know that it is one of the most unhealthy things out there.
not sure he was an actual bodybuilder he just looked really fit lol.
[Reply]
Page 3461 of 3903
« First < 2461296133613411345134573458345934603461 3462346334643465347135113561 > Last »
Up