ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 193 of 3903
« First < 93143183189190191192193 1941951961972032432936931193 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
carlos3652 08:00 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
In addition to the elderly, anyone with a "Compromised" immunity, either from high blood pressure, Diabetes Type I & II, chemotherapy, radiation, recent surgeries, obesity or a combination of the above, are at a severe high risk of being infected by this disease when exposed, and will most likely have extreme difficulty in recovering.
From what I understand around 45% of the cases being reported (over 130k) have underlying conditions:

Cardiovascular disease
13.2% of cases - of those 10.5% die. (1 out of every 10)
Diabetes
9.2% of cases - of those 7.3% die.
Chronic respiratory disease
8.0% / 6.3%
Hypertension
8.4% / 6.0%
Cancer
7.6% / 5.6%

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:02 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by carlos3652:
From what I understand around 45% of the cases being reported (over 130k) have underlying conditions:

Cardiovascular disease
13.2% of cases - of those 10.5% die. (1 out of every 10)
Diabetes
9.2% of cases - of those 7.3% die.
Chronic respiratory disease
8.0% / 6.3%
Hypertension
8.4% / 6.0%
Cancer
7.6% / 5.6%

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/
Thanks, I forgot to mention asthma and COPD
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:05 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
At home testing would be the best possible way to contain this thing. Sure the cost would be high, but it's only a fraction of how much money will be lost due to this.
not testing would be a way higher cost. That’s why insurance companies said they would cover the cost. Bill in the house to pay the rest of the costs of testing for the uninsured.
[Reply]
HayWire 08:09 PM 03-12-2020
In addition to the elderly, anyone with a "Compromised" immunity, either from high blood pressure, Diabetes Type I & II, chemotherapy, radiation, recent surgeries, obesity or a combination of the above, are at a severe high risk of being infected by this disease when exposed, and will most likely have extreme difficulty in recovering.
Going to suck for my family. Wife is going for surgery in 3 weeks (in Springfield on top of that), son has asthma, and I'm in good shape except for high blood pressure. I just want my shit tickets
[Reply]
carlos3652 08:15 PM 03-12-2020
I don't typically buy into conspiracy theories and this could just be coincidence... and obv every virus is different...

BUT... If the Chinese were trying to reduce their population by killing old people with underlying conditions, by creating something that would not kill healthy / young people.. I would slightly entertain the idea. Population Control with a man made virus.

Just the fact that H1N1 was so different than this...
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:16 PM 03-12-2020

pic.twitter.com/N80c1tSSxE

— Tom Hanks (@tomhanks) March 13, 2020

[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:24 PM 03-12-2020

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's wife has tested positive for the new coronavirus. His office says Sophie Grégoire Trudeau is felling well and will remain in isolation. https://t.co/0C9nRD9B9q

— The Associated Press (@AP) March 13, 2020

[Reply]
jerryaldini 08:24 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Spott:
Among all this corona bs, it’s good to read this kind of info. Like everyone else, my 401K has taken a huge kick to the nuts the past two weeks. I haven’t looked at in the last 10 days because it just sucks. At least my employment is safe and should be recession proof (knock on wood) and hopefully everyone can just ride this out until the panic subsides.
It's very stressful to watch, especially if you're nearer retirement. This one is especially hard because of the unpredictability of the virus, and of course the health aspects. Try to avoid clickbait sites like marketwatch that have lots of worst case fearmongers (Bloomberg is excellent).

We all need to take the longer view, but in this case only about a year we hope if our government has its act together on testing and quarantine. China is a guide here. Look at how quickly active cases crested in the chart below(about a month), and have now contracted to the point that they are getting back to work. About a 3-month episode. Here, we can hope that by mid-summer we have a good handle on this, meaning our economy has an awful second quarter like China's first, a weak third (recessions typically about 6-9 months with about 13% EPS decline), but pent up demand aids a strong fourth quarter recovery (yes as Buddy Bell said it can always get worse). This market is discounting a 30% EPS decline. That should not happen unless our govt blows it.

If it plays out as above, a year from now we can be back above 3,000 on the S&P, with a recession in the rear view and the long-term secular bull continuing. Near term I'm hoping 2,300 holds, another 7% (33% total; the Chinese only went 12%, Hong Kong 21, Korea 25, we should hold!). Remember the Dec 18 drawdown, only 15 months ago? We're a bit above that now. On the long trend we are at summer 17. We'll recover it. The Fed is coming at this hard. Wednesday's meeting will be memorable. They committed to do up to $1 trillion repo today. We need fiscal fast and hard as well. Helicopter cash. It's coming.

When we see the credit spreads on high yield bonds come back in we can start to sound the all clear. Credit moves first. Bond market was signaling this when China was tanking, the but stocks shrugged it off. As I write this futures down another 2% since the close, not bad. We've broken circuits three straight days, so if futures don't tonight (5%) that's good news. Hang in there and stay safe!

[Reply]
TLO 08:26 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
They look well. I'm happy to see that.
[Reply]
penguinz 08:28 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by carlos3652:
I don't typically buy into conspiracy theories and this could just be coincidence... and obv every virus is different...

BUT... If the Chinese were trying to reduce their population by killing old people with underlying conditions, by creating something that would not kill healthy / young people.. I would slightly entertain the idea. Population Control with a man made virus.

Just the fact that H1N1 was so different than this...
You reduce population by killing off those who are able to reproduce. Not by killing off those who have lived their lives.
[Reply]
TLO 08:33 PM 03-12-2020
A quote from New York.

Originally Posted by :
The number of positive cases of coronavirus in New York climbed to 328 on Thursday, but Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he would not be surprised if that number was more than 3,000, stressing that there is no way to know the breadth of the virus because the state lacks adequate testing supplies.
This seems a little more realistic than 100,000 cases.
[Reply]
carlos3652 08:35 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by penguinz:
You reduce population by killing off those who are able to reproduce. Not by killing off those who have lived their lives.
They already do that there...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:42 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
A quote from New York.

This seems a little more realistic than 100,000 cases.
New York isn't Ohio
[Reply]
TLO 08:45 PM 03-12-2020
New York isn't Ohio
Correct, but they've had sustained community transmission for some time.

Ohio has not.

I'm just having trouble wrapping my brain around the numbers, man. Or I just don't want to believe it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:47 PM 03-12-2020

I did the math: a full battery of coronavirus testing costs at minimum $1,331.

I also did the legal research: the Administration has the authority to make testing free for every American TODAY.

I secured a commitment from a high-level Trump official that they’d actually do it. pic.twitter.com/RmolCtmNbG

— Rep. Katie Porter (@RepKatiePorter) March 12, 2020

[Reply]
Page 193 of 3903
« First < 93143183189190191192193 1941951961972032432936931193 > Last »
Up