ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2686 of 3903
« First < 1686218625862636267626822683268426852686 268726882689269026962736278631863686 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
SAUTO 07:35 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
Even if we take the numbers from today or yesterday the death % is 1.8% which in my under 65 study equates to 0.36% so if anything although yes the case numbers are up (which includes a mixture of untested probably cases) the death rate is down quite a bit from original thoughts back in March or April.
This would actually make pneumonia much deadlier on death scale, pneumonia just isn't as spreadable apparently considering about 50k die each year from it in the US.
the deaths lag 4 to 6 weeks...

We're just rolling into them again.
[Reply]
SAUTO 07:36 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
I fully expected total deaths to shrink as we moved through time.
I wasn't talking about the total deaths.

Daily deaths. Should have been obvious to anyone by simply reading the post I quoted.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:06 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Arizona looking better and Texas and Florida appear to be plateauing but now other states are starting to potentially take off

Just not good
I guess we know which cities are next.

Dr. Birx warned leaders in a private phone call today that 11 major cities seeing increases in COVID-19 and should take “aggressive” steps to stop outbreaks.

They are Baltimore, Cleveland, Columbus, Indy, Vegas, Miami, Minneapolis, Nashville, New Orleans, Pitts. & St. Louis.

— Daniel Uhlfelder (@DWUhlfelderLaw) July 23, 2020

[Reply]
KCrockaholic 08:07 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
What happens to the numbers if you eliminate Covid deaths from pts from nursing homes/convalescent hospitals?
Would be pretty curious to see that. Not sure where to find that number of nursing home Covid deaths though.
[Reply]
TLO 08:09 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:

St. Louis has already taken it on the chin. That's not good.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:16 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
St. Louis has already taken it on the chin. That's not good.
New Orleans has as well.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:45 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
:-)

There's a lot of research that actually shows it has some sort of protective effect.

Top 10 Things Science Can't Explain
The layer of nicotine in my lungs creates an impenetrable barrier for teh COVID.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU GOT' EM
[Reply]
Donger 08:59 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:

Why on Earth is that "private" information?
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 10:11 PM 07-22-2020
So I decided to do something with some numbers which we know are overinflated and not 100% accurate as is. But i used what was given to me based on worldometers USA coronavirus numbers.

I wanted to see what the US death rate would be if we removed the anomalies of NY and NJ which are far and away higher than the rest of the country.

So after removing those states you divide 3,452,310 (cases) by 97,197 (reported deaths) and this gives you a 2.8% death rate. But I also wanted to see the death rate of people under 65 years old, considering we know that roughly 80% of the deaths are the elderly over 65+. You take 20% of 2.8% and that gives you a death rate of 0.56% for anyone under 65. And of course as you lower the age your percentage would go down further. Just some interesting numbers I found earlier.
No Thats Not How This Works GIF from No GIFs

[Reply]
dlphg9 11:13 PM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
I'd bet my prostate that KCrockaholic does not have a degree in statistics.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 11:24 PM 07-22-2020
You guys didn't like my stats but also have no numbers to refute it :-)

I purely used numbers from worldometers minus NY and NJ out of my own curiosity. If there's an issue with statistics here, talk to the numbers.

Some would rather live in fear than enjoy the possibilities of joy towards positive signs of progress and maybe things aren't quite as bad as the TV says they are. Suddenly we're defending the TV.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:14 AM 07-23-2020
Rut roh. Not sure how accurate this is, but I've never seen serious/critical cases above 15-17k before. It is at 19k+ right now. Perhaps the deaths of 2k+ a day are coming.

I just want to see Mahomes play football. That's it. I'll sacrifice Jayhawk basketball season even, just get football figured out.
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 08:22 AM 07-23-2020
You guys didn't like my stats but also have no numbers to refute it :-)

I purely used numbers from worldometers minus NY and NJ out of my own curiosity. If there's an issue with statistics here, talk to the numbers.

Some would rather live in fear than enjoy the possibilities of joy towards positive signs of progress and maybe things aren't quite as bad as the TV says they are. Suddenly we're defending the TV.

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:23 AM 07-23-2020
In just a few short months Anders Tegnell, architect of Sweden’s unique response to the Covid-19 pandemic, has gone from unknown physician and technocrat to a household celebrity in Sweden and in countries around the world. He is beloved by some (people have even had tattoos made with his face) and intensely disliked by others. Today he is suntanned and relaxed, having just returned from his summer holiday, and wearing an open-necked polo shirt. Here is a summary of what he said:

- In terms of migrants, travel and urban areas Sweden is more similar to the Netherlands and the UK than Norway or Finland
- Lockdown may have made a difference, but closing schools and people being out of work is also bad for public health
- Numbers of new infections arriving at the same time seems to make a big difference, so Stockholm half-term travellers to the Alps a big factor for Stockholm epidemic
- Eradication is not an option, ‘we have to learn to live with this disease’
- Evidence for masks still very weak, and they may yet be counterproductive. With all the trends going sharply down, it would make no sense to introduce them now
- Additional immunity such as T cells playing a substantial role in slowing spread – ‘what we see right now is a rapid fall in the number of cases, and of course some kind of immunity has to be involved in that as nothing else has changed.’
- Sweden will be better placed than other countries to limit further waves and outbreaks because of higher immunity

[Reply]
BWillie 08:31 AM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
I mean, I'm not sure his math checks out but the point remains. This is a virus that devours old people. Young people, even middle aged people in their 40's with no comorbidities have very little risk. Children have almost no risk.

But as a society we struggle with nuance and exceptions to the rule.

With that said, I'm a staunch supporter of masks and that this thing is about to get out of control in a few months. Old people need to be protected by whatever means necessary. If I was in charge, I would not allow people 60+ years to even work or people with a pre-existing condition. These individuals would get stipends or UBI. The rest of the population, keep on trucking. I would tell families to think about limiting any get togethers especially with old nana and grandpa. They might be lonely over zoom, but at least they aren't dead. I would try to enact case law against individuals that know they have coronavirus but still maintained contact with an elderly person making them potentially liable for their death (ok not sure how you could prove it but we could figure something out to scare people from killing their grandparents)
[Reply]
Page 2686 of 3903
« First < 1686218625862636267626822683268426852686 268726882689269026962736278631863686 > Last »
Up