ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Upgrading the offensive line (...or not?)
RealSNR 05:06 PM 02-09-2019
Due to the nature of large threads, several days ago the Spagnuolo thread kind of veered off for awhile into a discussion about offensive line. I thought an interesting conversation got going while we were on the subject of drafting/developing players cheaply when we Mahomes eventually needs to get paid and how we can get a head start on gaining some of that flexibility.

These are the Chiefs OL who are 2019 free agents:

Mitch Morse
Jordan Devey
Jeff Allen

If we just let them walk, we'd be left with:

Austin Reiter
Jimmy Murray
Kahlil McKenzie
Andrew Wylie
Eric Fisher
Mitch Schwartz
Cam Erving
LDT

Plus the following dudes from the practice squad if you want to be "official":

Ryan Hunter
Pace Murphy

How much investment in OL do you think is optimal? Are you satisfied with the developmental guys on the roster, or would you go so far to use even a 2nd rounder to replace Morse? Would you take it a step further and also invest in finding a better LG or even backup OT?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:54 PM 02-09-2019
Any hope for Kahil McKenzie?
[Reply]
dlphg9 05:57 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
You’ve gotta develop some guys in the cheap and make due. It’s jut part of it.
Its a good thing Mahomes can make Eric Fisher look like a pro bowler
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 05:57 PM 02-09-2019
I’d feel better about it if Andy Heck was replaced. O line never seems to be consistent.
[Reply]
MTG#10 05:57 PM 02-09-2019
Need a replacement for our "pro bowl" LT
[Reply]
O.city 05:59 PM 02-09-2019
Heck is pretty good guys. They’ve developed some really good ol.

Just keep drafting and developing thetr. I wouldn’t be opposed with using one of those 2nds in a center
[Reply]
dlphg9 06:02 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
I’d feel better about it if Andy Heck was replaced. O line never seems to be consistent.
The players on the O line are either talented or theyre not. The O line coach isnt going to make too much of a difference. KC sure loves it scapegoats.
[Reply]
dlphg9 06:08 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Need a replacement for our "pro bowl" LT
Good lord yes, Mahomes was pretty much a pro bowl QB and LT. Its so crazy how much better a QB with good pocket presence can make an O-line look. This years Oline looked like a top 10-15 unit and last year they looked like a bottom 5 unit.

I remember trufans loved to talk about how bad the line was and that Alex would throw it deep if the line would just give him a little more time!
[Reply]
Rausch 06:09 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Need a new LT
Honestly, yes.

That said we both know they're keeping him.

If we could draft a LT and move Fisher to G I'd be ok with that but I don't think he can play G. I don't think he's strong enough or have enough lead in his ass...
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:10 PM 02-09-2019

Just keep drafting and developing thetr. I wouldn’t be opposed with using one of those 2nds in a center
Heck is definitely not as bad as some say around here. Erving, Reiter and Wylie all have improved while here all were either a disaster or very meh before their arrival here.
[Reply]
Skyy God 06:11 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Honestly, yes.

If we could draft a LT and move Fisher to G I'd be ok with that but I don't think he can play G. I don't think he's strong enough or have enough lead in his ass...
Fisher at G, lol
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:20 PM 02-09-2019
The three positions to the left of LDT could stand improvement. They have too many holes on D to upgrade the LT with an early pick, but I do think targeting a swing tackle and G are important.
[Reply]
Rausch 06:21 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Fisher at G, lol
Exactly.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:23 PM 02-09-2019

True, if they spent a two on a C no one would be mad
[Reply]
kccrow 06:57 PM 02-09-2019
I fully expect a 5th or 6th be used on OL but I don't expect much more than that unless they aren't happy enough with Wylie at LG. I think they'll take a swing type guy like Bailey from SC that can play RT or OG. I'm thinking Hunter and Murray make the team this year and Murray at least spent time on the 53. I was thinking Hunter did too at one point but probably wrong there.
[Reply]
JakeF 07:21 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Honestly, yes.

Natural leverage and strength are his main problem. At this point, I don't think there is much hope that he will improve beyond what he is now. Although he's not as bad as some people say. He's just not elite.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up