ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Upgrading the offensive line (...or not?)
RealSNR 05:06 PM 02-09-2019
Due to the nature of large threads, several days ago the Spagnuolo thread kind of veered off for awhile into a discussion about offensive line. I thought an interesting conversation got going while we were on the subject of drafting/developing players cheaply when we Mahomes eventually needs to get paid and how we can get a head start on gaining some of that flexibility.

These are the Chiefs OL who are 2019 free agents:

Mitch Morse
Jordan Devey
Jeff Allen

If we just let them walk, we'd be left with:

Austin Reiter
Jimmy Murray
Kahlil McKenzie
Andrew Wylie
Eric Fisher
Mitch Schwartz
Cam Erving
LDT

Plus the following dudes from the practice squad if you want to be "official":

Ryan Hunter
Pace Murphy

How much investment in OL do you think is optimal? Are you satisfied with the developmental guys on the roster, or would you go so far to use even a 2nd rounder to replace Morse? Would you take it a step further and also invest in finding a better LG or even backup OT?
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05:10 PM 02-09-2019
The line will probably look like

LT Fisher
LG Wylie
C Reiter
RG LDT
RT Schwartz
[Reply]
Rausch 05:16 PM 02-09-2019
I think we need to upgrade G and Center (Morse won't be back.)

Good news is we can find a respectable starter in the 3rd round or later...
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:17 PM 02-09-2019
I hope we draft a C in the 2cd or 3rd this year. I also wouldn't be surprised if they have Devey a minimum deal.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05:20 PM 02-09-2019
Reiter will be the Center. He was damn good when Morse was out
[Reply]
Chief Northman 05:20 PM 02-09-2019
I think either a veteran FA or a draft pick comes in to compete for the starting Center job. The brass likes Morse, but sadly he is not durable. I’d be surprised if he is retained. The Reiter contract was a reward for yeoman’s duty, but I think they see him like they saw Erving in 2017 - your swing guy who can fill in at G/C in a pinch.
[Reply]
O.city 05:20 PM 02-09-2019
I think the chiefs have shown that they can develop lower round guys in the middle and mid round etc. to play

I wouldn’t be upset at an OT for depth somewhere

But I have talked myself out of an early pick on the ol I think
[Reply]
dlphg9 05:25 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I think we need to upgrade G and Center (Morse won't be back.)

Good news is we can find a respectable starter in the 3rd round or later...
Need a new LT
[Reply]
Bowser 05:25 PM 02-09-2019
I'd bet DeVey comes back.

After securing a corner/linebacker/safety in this draft, I wouldn't be mad if they threw every other draft pick at an offensive lineman. Solidify the protection in front of Mahomes.
[Reply]
Chargem 05:27 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I'd bet DeVey comes back.

After securing a corner/linebacker/safety in this draft, I wouldn't be mad if they threw every other draft pick at an offensive lineman. Solidify the protection in front of Mahomes.
Agree that Devey is coming back, I also think the throw a later round pick at a tackle or C. I think they have high hopes for Mackenzie at G.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:37 PM 02-09-2019
Great topic for discussion, it's an issue I vacillate on quite a bit

Not too long ago I was calling for a high pick on a new center, but these days it feels like Reiter would be serviceable

Also wanted to upgrade Erving, even though he was a pleasant surprise... yet lately I'm wondering what steps McKenzie has taken in his growth

As it stands right now, I'd be ok just keeping Devey as depth and spending a 4-5 on a raw but talented LT project... we seem to have a nice stable of guys on the interior, but tackle not so much

We put up a lot of points on an extremely well coached pats D with what's already in the cupboard, so I see no reason to spend big at the grocery store this year

Just fix this goddamn defense
[Reply]
Red Dawg 05:41 PM 02-09-2019
We need some OL. Mahomes ran fir his life way too much.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 05:41 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
The line will probably look like

LT Fisher
LG Wylie
C Reiter
RG LDT
RT Schwartz
Reiter and Wylie are trash
[Reply]
O.city 05:44 PM 02-09-2019
You’ve gotta develop some guys in the cheap and make due. It’s jut part of it.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05:49 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Reiter and Wylie are trash
Wylie was a beast with LDT out and Reiter fit in really well when Morse was out
[Reply]
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Up