ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 324
« First < 81415161718 192021222868118 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
HemiEd 06:12 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
What would our starters look like in a base 4-3? (if this has been discussed/posted somewhere else - my bad)
Probably a few hundred posts about it in the other Spags/DC thread.
[Reply]
Hoover 06:13 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
That's what we said about Alex Smith last year. This stuff happens every year to a guy on the trade block. We may not get blue chip trade bait. But no, I don't think him being under contract is an obstacle. If a team wants him, and can't imagine why there wouldn't be interest, they're not going to wait for us to cut him. And the Chiefs are probably not above absorbing a 1 yr contract if it means getting a better trade, but I doubt it will come to that.
Well we get a compensatory pick, probably a 3rd rounder if we just let him walk. If you are a needy team and have a low first round pick why not.
[Reply]
Chiefs=Champions 06:13 PM 01-24-2019

People get to caught up in the 4-3 vs 3-4. Id say that we can easily transition into the 4-3 with our current personnel. 4-3 under isn't too dissimilar to a 1 gap 3-4 scheme.

Not only are some of the underutilized guys better fits, but i can see our current baker group thriving too. Houston will make a great LEO or SAM, Jones is a perfect 3 tech, Nnadi is an amazing 1 tech, Hitchens will be much better in this scheme, and I even think Ford could have a roll as a LEO or SAM or in a wide 9 stance if we choose to keep him. Just upgrade the 5 tech, draft a coverage backer (or use DOD), and upgrade the safety/cb position.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:14 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Here’s the bright side:

This team is going to score a ton of points next year and Spags will formulate defenses that focus on generating pressure on opposing QBs and imo the talent this team has fits a 4-3 under style defense pretty well. Our DL should be pretty damn good right away. Their jobs just got simplified and that should definetely play to their strengths.

Hitchens and DOD should be able to pretty much hit the ground running. Maybe we try to add K.J. Wright to round out the Linebackers.

One things for sure...he’s gonna need a lot of talent to make it work.

Sign Collins and trade for Ramsey/PP and we should be able to have a good shot at getting past NE next year.
Yep. Veach better not pull that dumpster diving bullshit he did last year for secondary "talent."
[Reply]
T-post Tom 06:15 PM 01-24-2019

Spags was put in an impossible situation with the Saints in 2012 after bounty gate. In 2017 the Giants quit on Ben McAdoo who was a joke of a HC.

— Nicolas Roesch (@Nicolas_Roesch) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
JakeF 06:15 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by In58men:
Reid knows what he’s doing. There’s no doubt about it.
Isn't he the person that kept Sutton for this long?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:17 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
What are those explanations?
Terrible head coach in st Louis. Lots of examples of good coordinators who were terrible at head coach.

Hard to blame spagnuolo for new orleans. Joe vitt as the coach, multiple suspensions, players probably pissed about Payton, only one year.

Spagnuolo had a decent Defense in 2016. But mcadoo was a disaster in 2017. Locker room mutiny. Landon Collins having a public ugly quarrel with Eli apple. Obj being a mess. Eli benching.controversy. Spagnuolo having to play head coach and DC half the year. All while supporting a brutally bad offense.

Again... Maybe they're excuses. Where there's smoke there's fire. But maybe he's just a terrible head coach who can coordinate a good defense behind a good head coach.
[Reply]
BossChief 06:21 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Yep. Veach better not pull that dumpster diving bullshit he did last year for secondary "talent."
He tried to sign Kyle Fuller.

Kyle Fuller made first team all pro
[Reply]
JakeF 06:22 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefs=Good:

People get to caught up in the 4-3 vs 3-4. Id say that we can easily transition into the 4-3 with our current personnel. 4-3 under isn't too dissimilar to a 1 gap 3-4 scheme.

Not only are some of the underutilized guys better fits, but i can see our current baker group thriving too. Houston will make a great LEO or SAM, Jones is a perfect 3 tech, Nnadi is an amazing 1 tech, Hitchens will be much better in this scheme, and I even think Ford could have a roll as a LEO or SAM or in a wide 9 stance if we choose to keep him. Just upgrade the 5 tech, draft a coverage backer (or use DOD), and upgrade the safety/cb position.
After all the simplistic shit we've been running they are going to freak out when they see something like that. Heads exploding all over. :-)
[Reply]
suzzer99 06:23 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
And yet Spags routinely coached D's that were worse.
I don't care what the stats say - no team was worse when you absolutely had to have a stop late in the game.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 06:23 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by FringeNC:
Sutton's regular season overall performance here was acceptable. His post-season Ds were an abomination. It really can't get worse.
No it wasn't. Every good offense in the league went through us like we not even there. His idea is to slow teams down and not give up a deep ball. Game plans were non existent.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 06:24 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by BossChief:
He tried to sign Kyle Fuller.

Kyle Fuller made first team all pro
Kyle Fuller was also an RFA and the offer we made wouldn't have been anywhere close to what it would've taken for Chicago to not match. Same with trying to trade for Earl Thomas. Recognizing talent is nice and all, but there's a problem when you fail to get them on your team and instead sign guys like Amerson, Scandrick, and Parker.
[Reply]
stevieray 06:26 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by InTheNeutralZone55:
I'll wait to see what we do at the draft, free agency, training camp and HOLY SHIT MAYBE EVEN A LIVE REGULAR SEASON FOOTBALL GAME OR TWO before I get too worked up one way or the other about this.
stop with that nonsense!

:-)
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 06:27 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by wazu:
Never asked for that. Just want competent defense. Don't care how. Be top 20ish. Spags is more of a Top 31 or 32 defense guy. JUST LIKE THE GUY WE FUCKING FIRED.
And who the fuck could they have hired that would guarantee such results at this stage? :-)
[Reply]
The Franchise 06:28 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
And who the fuck could they have hired that would guarantee such results at this stage? :-)
Kris Richard! Tony Romo!
[Reply]
Page 18 of 324
« First < 81415161718 192021222868118 > Last »
Up