ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Please Be Considerate With Fireworks
theoldcoach 07:21 PM 06-29-2020
This comes up every year at about this time. Please be considerate with the use of fireworks.

I love fireworks...........when I am expecting them. I love the 4th of July. I love to see kids shooting off fireworks. I love to see families enjoy fireworks displays. It is one of my favorite holidays.

But when they are not expected........like at Midnight or 1:00 am they can be a problem for many of us. Last night someone set off 3 screaming bottle rockets and a small packet of firecrackers at about midnight just outside the house somewhere.

In one move I hit the floor. From the bed to the floor in one move. In the process I knocked over a bedside tray that had a can of pop on it and spilled it all over the floor.

Sounded exactly like incoming fire. It seemed so real that I could even smell that damned jungle. Over 50 years later. It seemed as real as real could be. Took me several seconds to realize where I was and what was happening. My heart was racing. I was sweating. I was scared.

Now......those kids didnít mean for that to happen. They were just having some fun. But in doing so, they fail to realize that to many of us, those sounds in the middle of the night will always signal immediate life threatening danger. And it will never go away.

So I ask you and for you to advise your children........enjoy fireworks in their time and place. Most veterans will heartily endorse that. In fact, we fought for the right for everyone to do so. But please think of those whom it causes trauma and limit late night, non 4th of July exposure to them. Some of us Veterans and many pets would very much appreciate it.

And thank you for listening to this old man.
[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 11:36 PM 06-29-2020
And in no way does fucking fireworks sound like incoming fire. Jfc, some veterans are such fucking pussies. Again...combat veteran here.

Why is it that the veterans who saw way more combat than I did, are never the ones bitching about this?
[Reply]
Inspector 11:43 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by theoldcoach:
This comes up every year at about this time. Please be considerate with the use of fireworks.

I love fireworks...........when I am expecting them. I love the 4th of July. I love to see kids shooting off fireworks. I love to see families enjoy fireworks displays. It is one of my favorite holidays.

But when they are not expected........like at Midnight or 1:00 am they can be a problem for many of us. Last night someone set off 3 screaming bottle rockets and a small packet of firecrackers at about midnight just outside the house somewhere.

In one move I hit the floor. From the bed to the floor in one move. In the process I knocked over a bedside tray that had a can of pop on it and spilled it all over the floor.

Sounded exactly like incoming fire. It seemed so real that I could even smell that damned jungle. Over 50 years later. It seemed as real as real could be. Took me several seconds to realize where I was and what was happening. My heart was racing. I was sweating. I was scared.

Now......those kids didnít mean for that to happen. They were just having some fun. But in doing so, they fail to realize that to many of us, those sounds in the middle of the night will always signal immediate life threatening danger. And it will never go away.

So I ask you and for you to advise your children........enjoy fireworks in their time and place. Most veterans will heartily endorse that. In fact, we fought for the right for everyone to do so. But please think of those whom it causes trauma and limit late night, non 4th of July exposure to them. Some of us Veterans and many pets would very much appreciate it.

And thank you for listening to this old man.
Thanks for your service old man. Not many left that have any interest in listening to any of us old men.
[Reply]
Pogue 02:19 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
:-)

Show some respect.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 02:40 AM 06-30-2020
cosmo is a twat. low iq
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:44 AM 06-30-2020
I have a constitutional God-given right to light off fireworks at any point of the day on any day of the year so fuck off.

(But seriously, thank you for your service and sorry there are so many dipshits in the world and on this board who lack even the slightest shred of empathy. )
[Reply]
Bob Dole 03:42 AM 06-30-2020
And our brilliant city leaders moved the show Saturday to a new location...right next to the city animal shelter.
[Reply]
wazu 09:38 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541:
And in no way does fucking fireworks sound like incoming fire. Jfc, some veterans are such fucking pussies. Again...combat veteran here.

Why is it that the veterans who saw way more combat than I did, are never the ones bitching about this?
Hey, I'm glad you don't experience this problem, but no need to be an asshole about it. Many fireworks are designed to be intentionally loud, booming explosions. Whether it sounds exactly like incoming fire or not I can't speak to, but I'm willing to accept that loud explosions evoke painful, stressful responses among plenty of people who have lived through combat situations. Particularly Vietnam which sounds like it was another level of hell.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:47 AM 06-30-2020

This is some serious horseshit

How about a little fucking respect, Marine?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:51 AM 06-30-2020
While I'm personally opposed to firecrackers, I must go on the record with my absolute distaste for all of the mentally weak subset of society who freak the fuck out about how their dogs get PTSD from fireworks.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 09:55 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
While I'm personally opposed to firecrackers, I must go on the record with my absolute distaste for all of the mentally weak subset of society who freak the **** out about how their dogs get PTSD from fireworks.
Absolutely. I refuse to believe that an animal that eats cat shit like it's a delicacy is going to have a mental breakdown because of fireworks.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:01 AM 06-30-2020
I feel for those who still have issues with the loud noises. The fear has subsided after a couple of years, but Ill admit my heart still flutters a bit when fireworks go off when I dont expect it.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 10:30 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
This is some serious horseshit

How about a little ****ing respect, Marine?
Let's imagine what Trump would say about all this.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10:44 AM 06-30-2020
And in no way does ****ing fireworks sound like incoming fire. Jfc, some veterans are such ****ing pussies. Again...combat veteran here.

Who the hell is "bitching"? Merely relating personal stories - sorry if you can't handle it.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10:49 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Hey, I'm glad you don't experience this problem, but no need to be an asshole about it. Many fireworks are designed to be intentionally loud, booming explosions. Whether it sounds exactly like incoming fire or not I can't speak to, but I'm willing to accept that loud explosions evoke painful, stressful responses among plenty of people who have lived through combat situations. Particularly Vietnam which sounds like it was another level of hell.

Indeed. I had a problem with the fireworks my first year back. Never had it again. While it is true that most fireworks don't sound like incoming fire - some do. More importantly (I think) is not the explosion necessarily, but the surprise of it. It's the "not expecting it" part that had gotten me in the early days - as has been said by one helluva lot of my buddies at the VFW

It's just something that you have to become "re-accustomed" to. :-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:57 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
Indeed. I had a problem with the fireworks my first year back. Never had it again. While it is true that most fireworks don't sound like incoming fire - some do. More importantly (I think) is not the explosion necessarily, but the surprise of it. It's the "not expecting it" part that had gotten me in the early days - as has been said by one helluva lot of my buddies at the VFW

It's just something that you have to become "re-accustomed" to. :-)
Well that and there's something to be said for whatever sensations one gets from fireworks detonating and how similar it is to incoming / outgoing artillery.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up