ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Please Be Considerate With Fireworks
theoldcoach 07:21 PM 06-29-2020
This comes up every year at about this time. Please be considerate with the use of fireworks.

I love fireworks...........when I am expecting them. I love the 4th of July. I love to see kids shooting off fireworks. I love to see families enjoy fireworks displays. It is one of my favorite holidays.

But when they are not expected........like at Midnight or 1:00 am they can be a problem for many of us. Last night someone set off 3 screaming bottle rockets and a small packet of firecrackers at about midnight just outside the house somewhere.

In one move I hit the floor. From the bed to the floor in one move. In the process I knocked over a bedside tray that had a can of pop on it and spilled it all over the floor.

Sounded exactly like incoming fire. It seemed so real that I could even smell that damned jungle. Over 50 years later. It seemed as real as real could be. Took me several seconds to realize where I was and what was happening. My heart was racing. I was sweating. I was scared.

Now......those kids didnít mean for that to happen. They were just having some fun. But in doing so, they fail to realize that to many of us, those sounds in the middle of the night will always signal immediate life threatening danger. And it will never go away.

So I ask you and for you to advise your children........enjoy fireworks in their time and place. Most veterans will heartily endorse that. In fact, we fought for the right for everyone to do so. But please think of those whom it causes trauma and limit late night, non 4th of July exposure to them. Some of us Veterans and many pets would very much appreciate it.

And thank you for listening to this old man.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 08:45 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by theoldcoach:
This comes up every year at about this time. Please be considerate with the use of fireworks.

I love fireworks...........when I am expecting them. I love the 4th of July. I love to see kids shooting off fireworks. I love to see families enjoy fireworks displays. It is one of my favorite holidays.

But when they are not expected........like at Midnight or 1:00 am they can be a problem for many of us. Last night someone set off 3 screaming bottle rockets and a small packet of firecrackers at about midnight just outside the house somewhere.

In one move I hit the floor. From the bed to the floor in one move. In the process I knocked over a bedside tray that had a can of pop on it and spilled it all over the floor.

Sounded exactly like incoming fire. It seemed so real that I could even smell that damned jungle. Over 50 years later. It seemed as real as real could be. Took me several seconds to realize where I was and what was happening. My heart was racing. I was sweating. I was scared.

Now......those kids didnít mean for that to happen. They were just having some fun. But in doing so, they fail to realize that to many of us, those sounds in the middle of the night will always signal immediate life threatening danger. And it will never go away.

So I ask you and for you to advise your children........enjoy fireworks in their time and place. Most veterans will heartily endorse that. In fact, we fought for the right for everyone to do so. But please think of those whom it causes trauma and limit late night, non 4th of July exposure to them. Some of us Veterans and many pets would very much appreciate it.

And thank you for listening to this old man.
:-)
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:49 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
:-)
Serious question. WTF is wrong with you?
[Reply]
wazu 08:56 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
Same question.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 09:15 PM 06-29-2020
My back hurts sometimes. Stretching usually helps though.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:17 PM 06-29-2020
Daddy didnít breast feed him. He needs attention.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 09:20 PM 06-29-2020

[Reply]
backinblack 10:14 PM 06-29-2020
They've already been going off all over town for a couple weeks. This weekend is going to be nuts, most public shows are canceled and the 4th is on a Saturday. Thursday night through Saturday night-Sunday morning you are gonna think you live in fucking Fallujah or some shit.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:16 PM 06-29-2020
... after the big ol' gift China gave us, why on Earth are people fucking around with their cheap ass shit cardboard-wrapped explosives?
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 10:21 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
... after the big ol' gift China gave us, why on Earth are people fucking around with their cheap ass shit cardboard-wrapped explosives?
If you already own them, why shouldn't you fire them off?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:23 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
If you already own them, why shouldn't you fire them off?
I cannot tell you the last time I touched anything beyond a sparkler (part of a wedding reception).

At some point the good god Darwin is going to start collecting souls of the people who aren't smart enough to realize they're messing with time bombs that don't give you the benefit of ticking.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 10:27 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
I cannot tell you the last time I touched anything beyond a sparkler (part of a wedding reception).

At some point the good god Darwin is going to start collecting souls of the people who aren't smart enough to realize they're messing with time bombs that don't give you the benefit of ticking.

Nothing is completely safe. If you're avoiding fireworks because you're afraid of getting hurt, there are a lot of other things that should be higher on your avoidance list.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:30 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Nothing is completely safe. If you're avoiding fireworks because you're afraid of getting hurt, there are a lot of other things that should be higher on your avoidance list.
Well I have to drive a car and there's too many good fried foods out there.

Gotta make some cuts to risk somewhere.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10:38 PM 06-29-2020
I remember the first 4th of July when I got back home from Viet Nam. Went to a friends party up the street from my parents home. All day - it started with firecrackers - I was getting a little shaky - nothing too bad, but that night the louder it got the shakier I got. I finally said good-bye and headed home. Stayed awake most of the night laying in bed with the sweats.

Been fine ever since though. Still love watching them. :-)
[Reply]
BWillie 11:18 PM 06-29-2020
Where does the OP live? I'm coming over with some roman candles.

[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 11:34 PM 06-29-2020
Jfc. Could you be more of an attention whore?

Flame away. Thrice wounded Marine here.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up