ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>SCOTUS Strikes Down LA Abortion Ban
RodeoPants2 09:16 AM 06-29-2020
Remember when Susan Collins believed Kavanaugh when he said Roe was settled law?

Originally Posted by :
Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. joined the courtís liberals in striking down the law, saying it was required by the courtís decision overturning a Texas law in 2016.
ďThe legal doctrine of stare decisis requires us, absent special circumstances, to treat like cases alike,Ē Roberts wrote in concurring with the decision. ďThe Louisiana law imposes a burden on access to abortion just as severe as that imposed by the Texas law, for the same reasons. Therefore Louisianaís law cannot stand under our precedents.Ē
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...4c6_story.html
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 08:09 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
oh look, another lie.
Prove it. :-)
[Reply]
stevieray 08:11 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
Prove it. :-)
says the guy who came back as a mult(:-)) and then lied about it.

you prove it, liar.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 08:12 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
says the guy who came back as a mult(:-)) and then lied about it.

you prove it, liar.
I don't take orders from little bitches.
[Reply]
stevieray 08:13 AM 06-30-2020
I don't take orders from little bitches.
you don't give them either, liar.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 08:16 AM 06-30-2020
I'd rather be a liar than a shit father, but that's just me.
[Reply]
stevieray 08:30 AM 06-30-2020
I'd rather be a liar.
You already are a liar.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 12:12 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I donít know what the advantages are. What does the state of LA say they are?
You can't even articulate one? LOL

They are functional abortion bans - the LA law would have left a single abortion provider for a single state. Abortion bans are unconstitutional, as you may know, based on ~50 years of supreme court precedent, the landmark case being Roe vs. Wade, decided in 1973.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 12:13 PM 06-30-2020
We donít live in a technocracy. We elect people to make these decisions for us and vote them out if we donít like the choices they make. Getting the views of experts through hearings is probably a wise approach though.
Medical practice and safety standards are typically decided by doctors and their patients.

Except when big government tries to butt in and impose unconstitutional restrictions under the false guise of "safety"
[Reply]
NinerDoug 12:15 PM 06-30-2020
I donít know what the advantages are. What does the state of LA say they are?
They say they are to protect the health of the woman having an abortion.

The problem is, they don't have a logical argument or evidence to back it up.
[Reply]
patteeu 12:28 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
You can't even articulate one? LOL
Why is that funny? I donít claim to be an expert on everything. And being an expert on this point is completely unnecessary for my take on Roberts. :-)

I donít think youíre an expert on this either, btw.
[Reply]
patteeu 12:30 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
They say they are to protect the health of the woman having an abortion.

The problem is, they don't have a logical argument or evidence to back it up.
What are their arguments?
[Reply]
NinerDoug 12:36 PM 06-30-2020
What are their arguments?
That women will be safer if the doctor performing an abortion has admitting privileges at a hospital.

There is no underlying argument that would support that proposition, of which I am aware.

If you need emergency care, you are brought to an emergency room of a hospital, and treated. Doesn't matter if you just had a procedure from a physician that doesn't have admitting privileges.

It's not like the doctor who performed the abortion is going to drive the patient to the hospital. Or provide care for the patient in the hospital.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:58 PM 06-30-2020
Roberts got another one at least party right today.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...-1195_g314.pdf
[Reply]
patteeu 01:14 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
That women will be safer if the doctor performing an abortion has admitting privileges at a hospital.

There is no underlying argument that would support that proposition, of which I am aware.

If you need emergency care, you are brought to an emergency room of a hospital, and treated. Doesn't matter if you just had a procedure from a physician that doesn't have admitting privileges.

It's not like the doctor who performed the abortion is going to drive the patient to the hospital. Or provide care for the patient in the hospital.
Justice Alito says in his dissent:

Originally Posted by :
The plurality concludes that the Louisiana law does nothing to protect the health of women, but that is disproved by substantial evidence in the record.
It shouldn’t take much evidence to clear a rational basis hurdle.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:23 PM 06-30-2020
Justice Alito says in his dissent:

It shouldnít take much evidence to clear a rational basis hurdle.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...-1323_c07d.pdf

Well, the State of Louisiana, like all states, I would imagine, requires physicians to be licensed.

Here, they've decided to single out abortion providers, and cede evaluation of their competency to hospitals at which they do not practice, and which will in all likelihood deny them privileges, because of the very fact that they perform abortions.

I suppose they could require all doctors performing abortions in Louisiana to have received their medical degrees from Harvard University, or if they wanted to be reasonable, from any Ivy League University.

That would almost certainly have the same rational purpose, raising the minimum level of competency over and above that which the state requires for every other area of medicine.

Seems fairly clear that everyone knows what is really going on here, including five Justices of the USSC.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Up