ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Trump Faces Mounting Defections From Older White Voters
Eleazar 11:36 PM 06-28-2020
Trump Faces Mounting Defections From a Once-Loyal Group: Older White Voters

By Alexander Burns and Katie Glueck

No Democrat has won or broken even with voters over 65 in two decades. But seniors’ dismay about President Trump could change that.

Clifford Wagner, an 80-year-old Republican in Tucson, Ariz., never cared for President Trump.

He supported Jeb Bush in the 2016 presidential primary race and cast a protest vote in the general election for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian nominee. An Air Force veteran, Mr. Wagner described the Trump presidency as a mortifying experience: His friends in Europe and Japan tell him the United States has become “the laughingstock of the world.”

This year, Mr. Wagner said he would register his opposition to Mr. Trump more emphatically than he did in 2016. He plans to vote for Joseph R. Biden Jr., the presumptive Democratic nominee, and hopes the election is a ruinous one for the Republican Party.

“I’m a Christian, and I do not believe in the hateful, racist, bigoted speech that the president uses,” Mr. Wagner said, adding, “As much as I never thought I’d say this, I hope we get a Democratic president, a Democratic-controlled Senate and maintain a Democratic-controlled House.”

Mr. Wagner is part of one of the most important maverick voting groups in the 2020 general election: conservative-leaning seniors who have soured on the Republican Party over the past four years.

Republican presidential candidates typically carry older voters by solid margins, and in his first campaign Mr. Trump bested Hillary Clinton by seven percentage points with voters over 65. He won white seniors by nearly triple that margin.

Today, Mr. Trump and Mr. Biden are tied among seniors, according to a poll of registered voters conducted by The New York Times and Siena College. And in the six most important battleground states, Mr. Biden has established a clear upper hand, leading Mr. Trump by six percentage points among the oldest voters and nearly matching the president’s support among whites in that age group.

That is no small advantage for Mr. Biden, the former vice president, given the prevalence of retirement communities in a few of those crucial states, including Arizona and Florida.
Spoiler!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/u...ronavirus.html
[Reply]
jerryaldini 11:57 PM 06-28-2020
A problem Trump faces with this group is that the only real line of attack on Biden is that he has senior moments. So do these voters. They aren't into age shaming. Plus, Trump is an old moron who constantly says ridiculous things and can't articulate a policy agenda, so the hypocrisy is obvious. Second, they are vulnerable to covid, which Trump continues to downplay. Third, they like their entitlements. Other than the culture BS Trump has so little to offer, and even there the hypocrisy is apparent.
[Reply]
Eleazar 07:20 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by jerryaldini:
A problem Trump faces with this group is that the only real line of attack on Biden is that he has senior moments. So do these voters. They aren't into age shaming. Plus, Trump is an old moron who constantly says ridiculous things and can't articulate a policy agenda, so the hypocrisy is obvious. Second, they are vulnerable to covid, which Trump continues to downplay. Third, they like their entitlements. Other than the culture BS Trump has so little to offer, and even there the hypocrisy is apparent.
It's hard to explain how Biden can be even with Trump among a group that Republicans have been more or less able to take for granted in past elections, except for Trump's mishandling of the virus. It's possible older people have soured on his lack of personal character or the way his statements have fanned the flames of civil unrest this year, but the virus seems to be the simplest explanation.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:50 AM 06-29-2020
Fake news.

95% Approval Rating of President Trump in the Republican Party. I would imagine the 5% are the RINOS’ and stupid people who don’t want to see great Judges & Supreme Court Justice’s, a new & powerful Military, Choice for Vets, 2A Protection, big RegulationCuts, Life, & much more!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 29, 2020

[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 08:00 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Fake news.

Incorrectly used apostrophes are a sure sign that something was written by a moron. In this case, two of them in one tweet. :-)
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:01 AM 06-29-2020
A moderate third party would win this election
[Reply]
Sandy Vagina 08:07 AM 06-29-2020
Not very political at all, but the pandemic and race cards flying have made it more worthy of attention. It seems like the choices are depressingly similar to last time around. Two lousy options.

Hard to imagine that we can't come up with better options than these two. I'm somehow far more afraid of what happens if the Dems win though. :-)
[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:10 AM 06-29-2020
it's like they are trying to convince themselves. Liberals have a reality problem.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:23 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
Incorrectly used apostrophes are a sure sign that something was written by a moron. In this case, two of them in one tweet. :-)
if only you could win elections on grammar, nazi
[Reply]
ChiTown 08:28 AM 06-29-2020

[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 08:29 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
if only you could win elections on grammar, nazi
If only voters were smart enough to know a moron when they see one.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:33 AM 06-29-2020
this is history repeating itself. They played the same game with Hillary ("Hillary has 90% chance to win the presidency").....and look what happened.

If the left-leaning media was smart, they'd be pushing the hell out of "Trump up 10 points" to scare their base into voting.

The reality is, many who vote for Trump (in today's cancel climate) are not going to admit that they do so (either before or after the election).

So trying to figure out how many are going to vote for Trump (just like last time) is futile.
[Reply]
Eleazar 08:34 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Never before in our nation's history has it been crying out so desperately for an effective third party...
[Reply]
BigRichard 08:35 AM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
God I could only hope someone would run third party. I think it would have to be someone who doesn't come from either the Republican or Democrat side. Typically a Republican refuses to vote for anyone who just came from the Democrat side and typically a Democrat refuses to vote for anyone who just came from the Republican side. It would need to be a fairly neutral person, or at least perceived to be neutral.
[Reply]
Merde Furieux 08:35 AM 06-29-2020
112 injured or killed in 83 shootings over 9 days in NYC: 'I haven't seen anything like this in my entire life'

https://1010wins.radio.com/articles/...-9-days-in-nyc
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up