ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
The Lounge>Getting old sucks
O.city 09:56 AM 06-27-2020
Age has really been hitting me a bit lately. I know I know Iím not that old, Iíll be 33 next week, thatís not that old.

But Iíve been having some age issues lately. My hair is getting gray, I have to work harder to get loosened up to workout and most recently, Iíd been having some weird headaches and issues with my eyes. Primary care physician thought maybe it was sinus pressure so we treated that or maybe itís an inner ear thing.

She also recommended I have my eyes checked as I hadnít in a while And I noticed playing golf the other day I had some issues. Always had good vision.

Welp, not anymore. Found out I need glasses now.

Not sure why itís bothering me so much but it is
[Reply]
scho63 05:36 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:

Aren't you Dan Fogelberg or 1/2 of Seals and Croft? :-)
[Reply]
seclark 05:46 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I will be 70 July 10th. I smoked 3 packs a day for 35 years and drank to get drunk many days in my 20's and 30's. I retired to Florida ten years ago. I played on a softball team for 5 years, also pickleball and golf. Then in 2016 I had pneumonia and afterwards I couldn't run to 1st base without being out of wind. I saw a pulmonary doctor and he said I had emphysema, so I had to give up softball and pickleball.

I could give you a list of ailments, the worse was in 2017 I had Lymphoma and they removed 3 bumps under my armpit. I have to take cholesterol medicine because I have a stent in my heart, but I became allergic to the pills (statins). They gave me new drug instead, it come in a needle and I have to give myself an injection every two weeks in the stomach. That was fun the first time, sticking a needle into your own stomach.

Overall I feel good. Go to the gym 3 days a week and lift weights and walk the treadmill and play golf every Friday 18 holes, I ride a cart of course.

I would say, take care of you health while you still have a chance. Don't smoke, drink moderate, maybe get drunk just once every week or two. Definitely workout with weights and cardio on the treadmill or walking/running.

That's me second from the left in 1979 (age 29), I was pretty drunk that night, it was a Christmas Party.



Here I am now with a computer photo, a week shy of 70.

You look good
Did you score w that chick you were hanging on?
sec
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:13 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by seclark:
You look good
Did you score w that chick you were hanging on?
sec
I think he showed us that picture once before. If I remember right, he groped her.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 08:05 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I will be 70 July 10th. I smoked 3 packs a day for 35 years and drank to get drunk many days in my 20's and 30's. I retired to Florida ten years ago. I played on a softball team for 5 years, also pickleball and golf. Then in 2016 I had pneumonia and afterwards I couldn't run to 1st base without being out of wind. I saw a pulmonary doctor and he said I had emphysema, so I had to give up softball and pickleball.

I could give you a list of ailments, the worse was in 2017 I had Lymphoma and they removed 3 bumps under my armpit. I have to take cholesterol medicine because I have a stent in my heart, but I became allergic to the pills (statins). They gave me new drug instead, it come in a needle and I have to give myself an injection every two weeks in the stomach. That was fun the first time, sticking a needle into your own stomach.

Overall I feel good. Go to the gym 3 days a week and lift weights and walk the treadmill and play golf every Friday 18 holes, I ride a cart of course.

I would say, take care of you health while you still have a chance. Don't smoke, drink moderate, maybe get drunk just once every week or two. Definitely workout with weights and cardio on the treadmill or walking/running.

That's me second from the left in 1979 (age 29), I was pretty drunk that night, it was a Christmas Party.



Here I am now with a computer photo, a week shy of 70.

Iíve got a buddy from high school that is apparently a big deal in pickleball. I didnít even know that shit existed until 3 years ago.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:27 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
Iíve got a buddy from high school that is apparently a big deal in pickleball. I didnít even know that shit existed until 3 years ago.
Pickleball is tennis for people like us, who don't want run around a big court, and you're actually hitting a wiffle ball. It's not bad, go on youtube and there are videos. You cannot stand next to the net, that area is called the kitchen, and you have stay out of the kitchen. It's a lot fun and we have hundreds of courts here. They have a national championship that was on CBS Sports channel from Naples, Florida.

Originally Posted by :
You look good
Did you score w that chick you were hanging on?
sec
No I didn't score with the chick, that was her husband to my left. They were both air traffic controllers, as was I and the guy on the right, the girl on the far right was a pilot. My wife was taking the photo, we were divorced in '88 after 14 years and I remarried in '89 and we're still together. Thanks for the compliment, "Just for Men" shampoo is a winner!!

Here's the girl I married in '89, this is a photo from '93.



Originally Posted by :
I think he showed us that picture once before. If I remember right, he groped her.
You're right, I remember doing that, but don't remember the topic.

Originally Posted by :
Aren't you Dan Fogelberg or 1/2 of Seals and Croft?
I kinda went into the music business. I was fired in the air traffic controllers strike of '81, all of us in that photo were fired. I open and operated a record store near Savannah, Georgia and then later an online mailorder record and CD business.

Here was the store, it was in a Kmart Shopping Center.



Here's inside, every week I updated the top 200 albums from Billboard, although only the top 174 would fit. I sold posters, tapestries, incense, T-shirts, if it rocked, I sold it. I had an Army base 2 miles away, 25,000 young and gainfully employed guys looking for ways to spend money on entertainment. I even cashed military paychecks for a 3% charge of course, and on military paydays we would do $100,000 in checks.


[Reply]
scho63 01:23 AM 06-30-2020
You'll know you are old when you wake up in the morning and everything hurts for not a single god damn reason; your back is stiff and in pain, your neck is stiff but your dick is not, your knees and hands feel swollen, your balance is a little wobbly, your coordination sucks and you can't even open a jar of pickles.

Taking a good shit is the best part of the day but remembering to wipe is even better!

That's when you know Father Time is creeping in....
[Reply]
HayWire 08:16 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
You'll know you are old when you wake up in the morning and everything hurts for not a single god damn reason; your back is stiff and in pain, your neck is stiff but your dick is not, your knees and hands feel swollen, your balance is a little wobbly, your coordination sucks and you can't even open a jar of pickles.

Taking a good shit is the best part of the day but remembering to wipe is even better!

That's when you know Father Time is creeping in....
Pretty much all of this. Except this is CP where everyone has a 10" swinging pecker and bangs super models daily.

I've actually enjoyed the reduced sex drive as I've gotten older. It's nice not to be a horny teenager thinking about boobs 24/7. My wife and I had a rare moment alone last weekend and she flashed me in the kitchen....I opted for a sandwich and a nap. :-)
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 10:08 AM 06-30-2020
The 2nd law of thermodynamics.:-)

Stretching and a non-inflammatory diet are the best things against miscellaneous aches and pains of old age. Very few practice it though.:-)
[Reply]
EPodolak 02:24 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:

Here's inside, every week I updated the top 200 albums from Billboard, although only the top 174 would fit. I sold posters, tapestries, incense, T-shirts, if it rocked, I sold it. I had an Army base 2 miles away, 25,000 young and gainfully employed guys looking for ways to spend money on entertainment. I even cashed military paychecks for a 3% charge of course, and on military paydays we would do $100,000 in checks.

I gotta say I miss places like that.
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:30 PM 06-30-2020
Rock on DP - we had a place like that here too. Could even get bootlegged music.

My dad turns 90 on your birthday as well, along with another good friend of mine.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:37 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Try not to take PPIs indefinitely. Several long-term side effects that aren't well known to the public (increased risk of fractures, B12 deficiency, increased risk of pneumonia).
This is no joke. My brother had neuropathy in his arms and hands from using Omeprazole every day for 6 months but once he stopped, it went away.

I have neuropathy in my feet for using PPI's for more than a decade to control acid reflux and even though I stopped taking them more than a year ago, the neuropathy is still there and may never go away. It can also be extremely painful.


Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah. Iíve had talks with my doctor about it.

Iím hoping Zantac comes back to the market sometime soon
I wouldn't count on that happening any time soon. Same for Famotidine. Hamas may make other suggestions but Tums and Gaviscon are probably your best bets at this point in time, although neither does much for me.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:38 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Here I am now with a computer photo, a week shy of 70.

Nice 'stache, you sexy bitch.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:45 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
When I was 22 I weighed 189 lbs. When I was 35 I weighed 189 lbs. When does the weight gain happen?
For me it happened at age 42. Walking my doggies 3.5 miles a day five times a week had been sufficient exercise to hold off any weight gain prior but once I hit 42, I had to reduce calories and exercise even more.

10 years later and I'm eating less, counting calories all day and doing as much cardio as my schedule allows, which is usually at least 16 miles a week of vigorous walking while carrying two 7 or 10 pound weights.

This year has been particularly challenging because of all of the COVID restrictions, which unfortunately extended to trails, so many nights I just skip dinner altogether and have a bag of 100 calorie microwave popcorn.

Good times.
[Reply]
Holladay 02:59 PM 06-30-2020
My Dad says (at 84) age is a privilege.
[Reply]
burt 03:15 PM 06-30-2020
I turn 60 in September. 7-22 I go in for a ECHO COMPLETE WITH DOPPLER AND COLOR FLOW OP, (copied and pasted from my "portal") They say I have 7 narrowing arteries and am too far gone for stints. Bypass is next but my cardiologist is trying to postpone it as long as possible. I recently got a 20" scar on my ass from a tumor removal. It was almost the size of a football and attached to my pelvis in 2 spots. Never affected me in any way! Old age IS a bitch.

But I got up on the ladder and picked my cherry tree clean, and I will push mow my lawn tomorrow morning! And I am working out again with weights.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Up