ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 23
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>KC Mayor Lucas issues mask order
wazu 04:32 PM 06-26-2020
We'll see how this plays out. Pretty tame by most national standards, and also includes them lifting the "50% capacity" limit on restaurants, which should help them out. Guess I'm pretty neutral on it but am interested to see what it stirs up.

===================================================

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coro...243825782.html

You’ll need a mask to go out in Kansas City. Here’s what the mayor’s order says

BY KATIE BERNARD
JUNE 26, 2020 04:03 PM , UPDATED 6 MINUTES AGO


Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas announced Friday afternoon that masks will be required in public places starting from Monday, June 29. BY SHELLY YANG

This article has Unlimited Access. For more coverage, sign up for our daily coronavirus newsletter. To support our commitment to public service journalism: Subscribe Now.

Kansas City will require the use of masks in public settings starting Monday, Mayor Quinton Lucas announced at a news conference Friday.

The move is an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19 as the area sees its highest number of daily case increases since the first cases of the virus were detected in March.

“It is a rule keeping people safe and hopefully saving lives,” Lucas said, adding, “Businesses are to refuse customers not wearing masks.”

On Thursday, the KC metro area reported 227 new coronavirus cases, a record single-day increase. Friday, 204 cases were reported in the metro, which consists of Kansas City and Jackson, Clay and Platte counties in Missouri and Johnson and Wyandotte counties in Kansas.

Lucas’ order says “all employees or visitors to any place of public accommodation must wear face coverings in an area or while performing an activity which will necessarily involve close contact or proximity to co-workers or the public where six feet of separation is not feasible.”

The order will run for two weeks. Using CARES act funding, the city will provide masks at community centers and to other social service agencies who can help with distribution.

Those exempt from the mask requirement are, according to the mayor’s office:

Also announced Friday, a previous Lucas order placing 50% capacity limits will be eliminated, except for taverns and bars. Lucas said the focus is on preventing the spread of the virus through mask usage, hand washing and maintaining social distancing.

Similar to Lucas’s orders shutting down businesses and placing restrictions on occupancy, the mask rule will be enforced by the city health department based on complaints.

“We don’t want anyone stopped on the street,” Lucas said.

Concerned employees or customers can call the city’s 311 line to report non-compliant businesses. In outdoor gatherings, the public will be encouraged, but not required to wear masks.

City health director Rex Archer said Friday that the change will be an adjustment. He said the city will not be immediately citing business who allow customers in without masks while individuals and businesses are still trying to get them.

For weeks, Kansas City has encouraged people to wear masks, and under its emergency order, it allows businesses to turn away those who don’t. Restaurant servers, bartenders, barbers and other personal service workers must wear masks when they’re with customers.

The federal Centers for Disease Control recommends the use of face coverings in public settings because a person who contracted COVID-19 but has no symptoms could still be contagious. The use of a mask, the CDC says, helps prevent those people from spreading the virus to others.

REGIONAL PARTNERS
Lucas and Archer have recently indicated their support of a mask requirement.

Archer said Friday that states requiring masks have seen a 12% decrease in cases. He said Kansas City is in its second wave of the virus.

“The issue really is I can’t infect you if I’ve got a mask on, and you can’t infect me if you’ve got a mask on,” he said.

In an earlier news conference Friday morning, Lucas said he planned to meet with regional leaders to discuss a collective response to the pandemic. He said he hoped other leaders would at the very least encourage mask use among residents.

“We will take every step possible to keep people safe here. I think wearing masks is one reasonable step in that direction,” Lucas said. “We don’t live on an island in Kansas City.”

One of those regional partners joined Lucas on Friday, David Alvey, mayor and CEO of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas.

Alvey and Alan Greiner, chief medical officer for the county health department, expressed their support for Kansas City’s order and said a similar order would be announced in Wyandotte County.

Alvey said such orders are necessary to allow communities to continue to reopen without seeing a spike in coronavirus cases and deaths.

“We want to continue to reopen Wyandotte County. Our best opportunity to continue to relax restrictions is for us to take necessary simple measures like wearing a mask, washing our hands, maintaining social distancing, avoiding large gatherings,” Alvey said. “If we get those simple things we can continue to get back to business.

“If we don’t continue to stop the virus, the virus will stop us.”

The Star’s Allison Kite contributed to this report.
[Reply]
cdcox 12:13 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
I have severe asthma and can't wear a mask. That being said I don't see how wearing a mask has any bearing on ones health. It can protect others from you but makes your risk higher for wearing it.
I don't know your personal health situation. If you struggle to make a trip to the grocery store without a mask, I can see where wearing one would be a hardship.

Properly wearing a mask does not increase your risk of being infected. Communities that wear masks regularly have lower infection rates than communities that don't. The evidence is indisputable.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:15 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
I dispise the racist aspects of our nation's heratige. I repudiate them. That isn't what I am proud of as an American.
You might as well despise and repudiate the weather.
[Reply]
cdcox 12:31 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
It's more about the ways of the world not something uniquely American, we can't erase history and shouldn't diminish what our founding fathers gave to us. The greatest nation in the history of the planet and a beacon of freedom for all to uphold.
They aren't gods. They gave us good and bad. We must root out the bad to make progress toward the the ideals we profess to hold. Otherwise we are hypocrites of the worst kind.

The Civil War ended more than 150 years ago. The civil rights movement began over 60 years ago. Yet racial disparities persist snd are not deminishing at an observable rate. Two obvious explanations emerge:

1. Blacks are inherently inferior. This is a racist thought that I reject.
2. Systematic inequities of opportunity persist in American society. This is institutional racism. Given long standing inequity of outcomes, I think it is hard to deny, without making racist arguments to explain.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 12:34 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
I don't know your personal health situation. If you struggle to make a trip to the grocery store without a mask, I can see where wearing one would be a hardship.

Properly wearing a mask does not increase your risk of being infected. Communities that wear masks regularly have lower infection rates than communities that don't. The evidence is indisputable.
I don't agree with your assessment and furthermore I will be the one at risk for not wearing one not others as they will have a mask on. We have a very low infection rate around here and most have not been wearing masks. It's personal choice and our freedom to choose.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 12:37 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
They aren't gods. They gave us good and bad. We must root out the bad to make progress toward the the ideals we profess to hold. Otherwise we are hypocrites of the worst kind.

The Civil War ended more than 150 years ago. The civil rights movement began over 60 years ago. Yet racial disparities persist snd are not deminishing at an observable rate. Two obvious explanations emerge:

1. Blacks are inherently inferior. This is a racist thought that I reject.
2. Systematic inequities of opportunity persist in American society. This is institutional racism. Given long standing inequity of outcomes, I think it is hard to deny, without making racist arguments to explain.
I don't bow or bend a knee to anyone but JESUS, we are all fallen. The only time I see racism is when it's constantly thrown in my face. It just doesn't fit in my world. We are all of the same blood, now time to get on with life.
[Reply]
cdcox 12:38 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
You might as well despise and repudiate the weather.
I refuse to allow my behavior to be dictated by my base evolutionary instincts in the oldest part of my brain. If I were a lizard, I would not have a choice and your weather analogy would be our fate. But I'm not a lizard and neither are you. Racism is not our inevitable path.
[Reply]
cdcox 12:42 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
I don't bow or bend a knee to anyone but JESUS, we are all fallen. The only time I see racism is when it's constantly thrown in my face. It just doesn't fit in my world. We are all of the same blood, now time to get on with life.
Explain inequities in outcomes between White and Black Americans that persist 150 years after the Civil War and 60 years after the beginning of the Civil Rights movement?
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:48 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
I refuse to allow my behavior to be dictated by my base evolutionary instincts in the oldest part of my brain. If I were a lizard, I would not have a choice and your weather analogy would be our fate. But I'm not a lizard and neither are you. Racism is not our inevitable path.
Racism is a logical end of individualized brains combined with genetic variance. Not all such ends will be pleasant or goal worthy. But, to "despise and repudiate" what has been, with regards to such things, is a waste of time and emotional energy. It cannot be changed, it doesn't care what you think of it, it wasn't you, it wasn't about you, and the only thing you can do is adjust to it as it appears to you in the future.
[Reply]
cdcox 12:57 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Racism is a logical end of individualized brains combined with genetic variance. Not all such ends will be pleasant or goal worthy. But, to "despise and repudiate" what has been, with regards to such things, is a waste of time and emotional energy. It cannot be changed, it doesn't care what you think of it, it wasn't you, it wasn't about you, and the only thing you can do is adjust to it as it appears to you in the future.
Who else thinks racism is inevitable? Come out, come out where ever you are!
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 01:04 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
Who else thinks racism is inevitable? Come out, come out where ever you are!
I didn't say that racism was inevitable. Fuck, man, read for comprehension for a change.
[Reply]
eDave 01:47 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
Put on a full body condom, that should reduce your risk bro.
Finally a guy was right up against me at the bar talking to some chick, bumping me periodically, with what seemed like obvious reasons, with no fucks given, turns and apologizes for for crowding me. I said, yea you were. Close out, pay for their tab too and head out to hit another bar in the area. Closed now (wonder why?), onto the next. Closed now (wonder why?), on to the next, guess what (wonder why?). So I go to the Chevron by the Casino for that sweet tax free carton of cigarettes and what do you know.... A huge stage, lights a flitter to the beat that could mean just one thing...

Hopped the fence and ended up in the sound booth at a Seven Lions Park N' Rave show. Near 100% masked. And lit af and a very pleasant surprise during all of this shit.


[Reply]
Sorry 02:29 AM 06-27-2020
just wear a fucking mask and shut the fuck up.
[Reply]
Raiderhader 04:00 AM 06-27-2020
“It’s flu season, everyone go get shot up a strain of the flu to immunize yourselves!”

“Whatever happens we cannot have people being immunized to covid! Stay in your homes! Wear masks! Keep the virus relevant as long as possible!”


Fucking morons.
[Reply]
eDave 04:02 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
“It’s flu season, everyone go get shot up a strain of the flu to immunize yourselves!”

“Whatever happens we cannot have people being immunized to covid! Stay in your homes! Wear masks! Keep the virus relevant as long as possible!”


Fucking morons.
Being an asshole must be a great thrill. Seems far greater than a fat line of cocaine. One could reasonably argue it as like a meth addiction. The denial is the same.

To be fair, my addiction is cigarettes. But at least I feel like a dope every time I light one up. And I never do it so my dopiness imposes on others.
[Reply]
Raiderhader 04:05 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Being an asshole must be a great thrill. Seems far greater than a fat line of cocaine.
Pointing out discrepancies is being an asshole? Pointing out a sharp turn away from established scientific and medical practices is being an asshole?

Some people just don’t like truth, I guess.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 23
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up